Jimmy's throwing hacks out!

Started by T Fearon, September 23, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyrionLannister

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:36:00 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM
Are you serious, Jim was too busy running onto the pitch in front of the cameras celebrating.
Were you even watching the end of the game?

No, I'm not being serious. But as I said in my previous post on the thread, I don't see it as necessary for winners to commiserate with losers in that manner.

You have obviously not played sport at a competitive level to know what a major loss feels like.
Its a tradition and a good one.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Bingo on September 27, 2012, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:15:10 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:08:34 PM
Dont know why people are making excuses. Maybe this or that.

He didnt even shake the James Horans hand after the game.

Did James Horan shake Jim McGuinness's hand? Sore loser if he didn't.

Are you serious, Jim was too busy running onto the pitch in front of the cameras celebrating.

Are you James himself? If he is so annoyed about it I'm sure it will come out and journo's will be only too delighted to talk about it and use it as a stick to beat McGuiness.

Haven't a clue if he is annoyed or not but for an opposing manager not coming into the losers dressing-room, and not shaking hands after and All Ireland final is unheard of, and it annoyed me when I heard it.

Hardy

This is going to sound very cruel, but if what's bothering losers about losing is the failure of the winners to commiserate with them, maybe that's why they're losers.

deiseach

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:39:10 PM
Haven't a clue if he is annoyed or not but for an opposing manager not coming into the losers dressing-room, and not shaking hands after and All Ireland final is unheard of, and it annoyed me when I heard it.

So you know for a fact that it's happened in every previous All-Ireland final

TyrionLannister

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:50:08 PM

So you know for a fact that it's happened in every previous All-Ireland final

Yes, prove me wrong.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 04:43:01 PM
This is going to sound very cruel, but if what's bothering losers about losing is the failure of the winners to commiserate with them, maybe that's why they're losers.

There is a hell of a lot more, I just stumbled on this thread and someone made in initial point and I agreed.

deiseach

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:53:11 PM
Yes, prove me wrong.

I think you'll find the onus is on you to prove you are right. You can't prove a negative.

J OGorman

Quote from: Bingo on September 27, 2012, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:15:10 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:08:34 PM
Dont know why people are making excuses. Maybe this or that.

He didnt even shake the James Horans hand after the game.

Did James Horan shake Jim McGuinness's hand? Sore loser if he didn't.

Are you James himself? If he is so annoyed about it I'm sure it will come out and journo's will be only too delighted to talk about it and use it as a stick to beat McGuiness.

Id say very little would annoy you

In the euphoria of winning the final and the absolute mayhem after, Id say its near impossible to tick all the boxes.

Sure I heard Jim was on the blower to James Horan later on that evening ;-)

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 04:43:01 PM

Hardy, do you know if there were many handshakes between the Meath and Cork teams of the late 80's? It took the death of John Kerins to eradicate the bitterness between the two teams. Any handshakes that took place were utterly meaningless in that context.

Bord na Mona man

I didn't know the winning manager had to congratulate the losers?

I thought the tradition was the losing manager came into the winning dressing room to say:
"Well done. Ye were the better team ON THE DAY"...Implying that the losing team are usually the better team every other day.

Mentalman

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 02:11:07 PM
That's the problem with all that ould shite. If it's a spontaneous gesture, it's an admirable thing to do. If it's a duty, what's the point? Who wants to sit in a losers' dressing room listening to banalities from a man who doesn't want to be there either and who's just mouthing empty platitudes? Scrap it, along with the cúpla focal, the hip-hipping and any other ould nonsense perpetrated on these occasions without any thought for whether it means anything or is just formulaic or, worse, patronising bullshit.

I'm inclined to agree. Surely the honourable thing in sport is for the loser to congratulate the winner? It's easy to give the loser a patronising pat on the head, hard to swallow bitter tears of disappointment and acknowledge you were second best. And we do it not because it easy but because it is hard.

It may come over as patronising, especially if it's just an empty gesture, but I do think there is something in it. A bit like the practice of not running up scores on weak/besaten opponents in the NFL, it's reminder that at some point we're all in the losers dressing room, it's a mark of respect after the battle on the field is over. Just a thought.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 27, 2012, 05:00:07 PM
I didn't know the winning manager had to congratulate the losers?

I thought the tradition was the losing manager came into the winning dressing room to say:
"Well done. Ye were the better team ON THE DAY"...Implying that the losing team are usually the better team every other day.

That's what I've being thinking. My only memory of ever seeing it on screen - and I admit it might be a false memory - is of a Galway mentor going into the Offaly dressing room to congratulate them in the 1985 final.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

In the euphoria of winning the final and the absolute mayhem after, Id say its near impossible to tick all the boxes.

Impossible to tick all the boxes...
So he had the presence of mind to evict Bogue from the post match press conference but a handshake to the opposing manager and saying a few words in the losing dressing-room escaped him?
Interesting theory on his priorities there, its painting the picture alright.

deiseach

Quote from: Mentalman on September 27, 2012, 05:03:11 PM
It may come over as patronising, especially if it's just an empty gesture, but I do think there is something in it. A bit like the practice of not running up scores on weak/besaten opponents in the NFL, it's reminder that at some point we're all in the losers dressing room, it's a mark of respect after the battle on the field is over. Just a thought.

I can see your point, but if it's obligatory then it renders the gesture meaningless, e.g. the three cheers for the losers where they'd probably like the ground to open up than hear that shite.

J OGorman

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

Impossible to tick all the boxes...
So he had the presence of mind to evict Bogue from the post match press conference but a handshake to the opposing manager and saying a few words in the losing dressing-room escaped him?
Interesting theory on his priorities there, its painting the picture alright.

exactly, didnt tick all the boxes. Did he forget? Tried and Mayo had left? Wouldnt be bothered? Who knows?

The priority was winning the AI for his county.

You still suing the local council?