Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Car failed MOT yesterday, said it was missing dust caps on the suspension at front of car?? Any info on these? Oh and need breake disc for rear wheel ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2012, 11:15:15 AM
Car failed MOT yesterday, said it was missing dust caps on the suspension at front of car?? Any info on these? Oh and need breake disc for rear wheel ffs

Those guys at the MOT are getting carried away. I have never heard of a failure for that reason before. If you are replacing a brake disc I would advise you do both sides.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on October 14, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

Those guys at the MOT are getting carried away. I have never heard of a failure for that reason before. If you are replacing a brake disc I would advise you do both sides.

Aye he said they were minors but sure what can you do?? Stay away from Mallusk MOT centre
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

New regs for MOT this year so all the boy racers are in for a shock. Very little will be missed.

I remember years ago a **** poking at a rust spot on the exhaust until the screwdriver went through it. "You have a hole in your exhaust" says he  >:(

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on October 14, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

Where would I pick up these dust cap thingys. Scrap yard?

GJL

Free Free Free!

Free winter check on you car. Call in and we will check your tyres, antifreeze, all fluid levels etc.

southdown

A light has flashed on my dash, checked the book and it says that my exhaust emmissions are high and this may cause problems with my cat converter.  MOT is up next month, could I leave it until then to get checked? 

Rois

southdown, do you have a VW?  It happened me this time last year and I waited until Jan to get fixed (prob not ideal) but car was ok. 

southdown

astra, hoping it will be fine for a bit :-\

theskull1

It would be quite useful for people to provide a bit more detail of the car, the year and the engine

I'm thinking the egr is giving bother. These can be cleaned/freed up in a lot of cases. A diy job.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

southdown

Tony Baloney

Had serious bother with the EGR in the wife's Zafira. Kept cutting out at low revs and it was cleaned with brake cleaner etc. a few times but eventually had to be replaced. Luckily the car was still in warranty but it is a definite design flaw in Vauxhall cars (google it!). Apparently blanking it off and disabling the dashboard light is the best permanent solution (according to various Vauxhall boards) - ours was replaced about 18 months and no bother since.

theskull1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2012, 01:40:17 PM
Had serious bother with the EGR in the wife's Zafira. Kept cutting out at low revs and it was cleaned with brake cleaner etc. a few times but eventually had to be replaced. Luckily the car was still in warranty but it is a definite design flaw in Vauxhall cars (google it!). Apparently blanking it off and disabling the dashboard light is the best permanent solution (according to various Vauxhall boards) - ours was replaced about 18 months and no bother since.

Alot of the time the solenoid needs popped out, cleaned and relubricated to make sure the actuator moves freely. Most mechanics just clean the (exhaust side) valve itself. Theres how2's online of how to go about this...easy to do. Blanking off is the other option of course
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

GJL

Cleaning them out does for a while but I usually like to just replace them and not have to redo the job again in a few months.

GJL

A few cars I have for sale.

www.loughrancars.co.uk

A few more to go on-line in the next few days.

Busy at present in the workshop servicing and MOTing cars but always room for more if anyone wants some good value.

Have you checked your tyres recently? Get them checked as we are heading for cold weather. It could save you an accident or a few points. ;)