Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Hope you get some business from this GJL.  Your rates seem good.  Pity I'm in Cavan.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

GJL

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 30, 2012, 05:47:49 PM
Hope you get some business from this GJL.  Your rates seem good.  Pity I'm in Cavan.

Hope to be busy. Thanks.

GJL

Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 04:43:51 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 04:09:23 PM
Quote from: Jonah on August 30, 2012, 03:58:12 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 03:54:37 PM
Car is struggling to start. Keeps coming up on the dash saying 'injection fault'. Ive put some injection clearer in the other day. Hasn't made any difference yet. What's the craic here then? Renault Megane, 70,000 miles, diesel by the way.

The craic is don't ever buy a Renault.

Aye they're useless but my parents gave it to me a couple of years ago. I am going to change to something when I get a little more money saved up. Any recommendations on what is a good car? I was thinking of an Audi A3, golf, BMW 1 series or something.

I have seen this a few time in meganes.

It is either heater plugs expired (cheap)

or

injectors need refurbished (expensive)

Get the heater plugs checked first.

how expensive for the injectors?

Not cheap at all I'm afraid. From memory the last time we got some done they were £120 each. There are 4 in your car.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 02:05:33 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

3 to 4 hours labour (we charge £20 per hour) plus the price of a second hand box. This could be £150 to £400 depending on the type of box required and who you buy it from.

I have been quoted £1100, £900 to recondition the gear box.

Reconning a box is very expensive and as I said a second hand box can be the cheapest way out. What is the BHP of the car? Is it 5 speed or 6 speed?

Its a 6 speed not sure what the BHP is

Tony Baloney

Youse are a shower of robbing cnuts taking this chaps advice. Get the cars left down to Ballygawley.

trileacman

Quote from: WeeDonns on August 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM
@GJL - How are you with Fords?
I have a 2006 1.8 FOCUS LX TDCI

A long story, but about 6 months ago I got some questionable Diesel. It needed pushed to start and produced great black clouds of smoke but then drove ok once it was going.
I took it to a friend of a friend and he had it for about 10 days and said the diesel pump needed replacing. It ended up costing me a fortune.
I've noticed since that it hasn't got the same power. When I put the foot down, the revs go away up past where they need to but there's no real increase in power, so its now crap at overtaking.
Have you any ideas? Is it probably linked to the fuel pump?

If it was something simple I could get sorted at my next service ,I'd get it sorted, otherwise I'll probably just ignore it

Sounds like injectors to me. A slipping clutch would bring up a different type of bother, taking off e.t.c. I'd imagine it's still linked to your diesel pump or more likely to your injectors (which I would have thought were the problem in a common rail engine the first time she broke).
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on August 30, 2012, 09:00:47 PM
Quote from: WeeDonns on August 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM
@GJL - How are you with Fords?
I have a 2006 1.8 FOCUS LX TDCI

A long story, but about 6 months ago I got some questionable Diesel. It needed pushed to start and produced great black clouds of smoke but then drove ok once it was going.
I took it to a friend of a friend and he had it for about 10 days and said the diesel pump needed replacing. It ended up costing me a fortune.
I've noticed since that it hasn't got the same power. When I put the foot down, the revs go away up past where they need to but there's no real increase in power, so its now crap at overtaking.
Have you any ideas? Is it probably linked to the fuel pump?

If it was something simple I could get sorted at my next service ,I'd get it sorted, otherwise I'll probably just ignore it
My heart and bank account was broke with injector problems in a TDI Focus a couple of years ago.

Sounds like injectors to me. A slipping clutch would bring up a different type of bother, taking off e.t.c. I'd imagine it's still linked to your diesel pump or more likely to your injectors (which I would have thought were the problem in a common rail engine the first time she broke).

trileacman

Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 04:40:04 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 30, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
I've a 2006 2.0TDI Jetta and every once in a while whilst turning left (only) the ESP (I think that's what its called), break warning and air bag lights go on.
The car loses power for a split second, but the ESP light stays on until I restart the car after letting it sit for and hour or two. The airbag light is still on now and probably needs reset, but what would cause that?

I can fly into a right handed turn no bother!

Also the emissions garage warning is coming up after I stalled the car recently. Is that a genuine problem or just another sensor rest?

You have some sort of electronic sensor problem. The best way to find out would be to run a diagnostic on it while all the warning lights are on. We can do that.

This new sensor craic in cars is a real bitch. Can take f**king ages to find these wee problems and there usually about sweet fa.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

GJL

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 08:34:53 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 02:05:33 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

3 to 4 hours labour (we charge £20 per hour) plus the price of a second hand box. This could be £150 to £400 depending on the type of box required and who you buy it from.

I have been quoted £1100, £900 to recondition the gear box.

Reconning a box is very expensive and as I said a second hand box can be the cheapest way out. What is the BHP of the car? Is it 5 speed or 6 speed?

Its a 6 speed not sure what the BHP is

1.9 (105 bhp) or 2.0 (140 bhp) ?

1.9 6 speed boxes are hard to get 2nd hand. 2.0 6 speed are easy to get.

GJL

£20 per hour folks!

Call me on 07771813386.

Garrett.

theskull1

Alot of big ticket price parts on diesels nowadays and every engine has it's fault trends. Just looking to know what engine(s) are the most robust and what engines are a no no for the second hand buyer?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on September 03, 2012, 06:06:53 PM
Alot of big ticket price parts on diesels nowadays and every engine has it's fault trends. Just looking to know what engine(s) are the most robust and what engines are a no no for the second hand buyer?
My mechanic says Avensis 2.0d and Honda ictdi.

tyrone exile

my cd player in my mk5 golf often rejects cds saying cd error, even brand new cds. anybody know why this would be the case, are golfs cd players notoriously bad?

GJL

Quote from: tyrone exile on September 04, 2012, 01:42:40 PM
my cd player in my mk5 golf often rejects cds saying cd error, even brand new cds. anybody know why this would be the case, are golfs cd players notoriously bad?

Call into a breakers yard and get one out of a breaker. They should only be £30-£50. You might have to get it de-coded. Much cheaper than a new one or getting yours fixed.

tyrone exile