All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand:

James Horan says Mayo will need to spend big if it is to end its All-Ireland famine.

Addressing supporters at last Sunday night's All-Ireland final banquet, the Mayo manager is quoted as saying in The Mayo News: "I think there's an important theme to take out of tonight, and for this year. For this team, and the group of players involved, it's only the start.

"As we said during the year, we got a lot of the inputs right and there's a lot we're getting right. But we've a huge amount of work to do.

"That amount of work requires resources and people pulling together. It requires county board, clubs, people on the ground, ye yourselves, to make sure that club football in Mayo, and inter-county football, gets the best set-up and the best structure that it can.

"If we want to be successful, to get Sam Maguire next year, there's a huge amount of investment needed. So it's important we don't fool ourselves.

"We made huge progress this year, and last year, but there's a lot more that needs to be done, and can be done. So, hopefully, with everyone pulling together, everyone facing the same way, this group of players staying together and improving themselves, their girlfriends and wives still giving us the same support, great things are still possible with this team."

Now, how on Earth are the county board going to raise this huge investment? I heard him on the way home on the bus myself. I have to say if he wants any more investment, he should take a look at his own tactics and players that are available to him. A lot of money was spent on the Mayo senior team alone this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

What did you expect a senior manager to say? Please give us less money?

Farrandeelin

He could have left money out of the equation until some other time I think.  That's my own opinion on the matter.

Orchardman

Quote from: Zulu on September 26, 2012, 09:42:10 PM
What rubbish. If I'd achieved what Jim has I'd be well content with myself for sure though I don't know what your horseshit about boasting refers to.

Again, for the slow learners, I agree his achievements are notable but ulster is poor enough at the moment, Kerry never reached any great heights this year, Cork are hampered by Counihan and Mayo lack firepower. I'm not trying to undermine him I'm just pointing out it isn't the parting of the seas type stuff some, like you, are claiming.

The McGees, Murphy, McFadden, Kavanagh and Lacy would all have be highly regarded prior to this year and would have manys a team. What level McBrearty was it in 2010 is entirely irrelevant as we are discussing this years achievement and he was a notable addition to Donegal that previous managers didn't have.

Clare didnt win an All Ireland in 92 because they weren't good enough but Donegal were. Any manager who wins an AI has done a good job but Jim didn't win it with Waterford, which, by the way is a very apt comparison.

jesus that's cringeworthy stuff, it's so easy to pick out the negative after the event and say kerry, cork, and mayo were shite. Dublin wouldn't have beat donegal either, and i happen to think this is a strong era for gootball, so that makes it a good all ireland.

And it was you who mentioned McBrearty , that was my point, you said he was available to Jim but not to managers before him.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 26, 2012, 11:48:37 PM
He could have left money out of the equation until some other time I think.  That's my own opinion on the matter.

When the county is desperate to get back to that stage again after a big loss is the perfect time to lobby for better funding. He was absolutely correct in using it as a forum to try and get investment for next season. If he didn't do it out of some un-written code then I'd think less of him. He's simply doing his job.

Zulu

Quote from: Orchardman on September 26, 2012, 11:56:57 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 26, 2012, 09:42:10 PM
What rubbish. If I'd achieved what Jim has I'd be well content with myself for sure though I don't know what your horseshit about boasting refers to.

Again, for the slow learners, I agree his achievements are notable but ulster is poor enough at the moment, Kerry never reached any great heights this year, Cork are hampered by Counihan and Mayo lack firepower. I'm not trying to undermine him I'm just pointing out it isn't the parting of the seas type stuff some, like you, are claiming.

The McGees, Murphy, McFadden, Kavanagh and Lacy would all have be highly regarded prior to this year and would have manys a team. What level McBrearty was it in 2010 is entirely irrelevant as we are discussing this years achievement and he was a notable addition to Donegal that previous managers didn't have.

Clare didnt win an All Ireland in 92 because they weren't good enough but Donegal were. Any manager who wins an AI has done a good job but Jim didn't win it with Waterford, which, by the way is a very apt comparison.

jesus that's cringeworthy stuff, it's so easy to pick out the negative after the event and say kerry, cork, and mayo were shite. Dublin wouldn't have beat donegal either, and i happen to think this is a strong era for gootball, so that makes it a good all ireland.

And it was you who mentioned McBrearty , that was my point, you said he was available to Jim but not to managers before him.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was conversing with a complete idiot. I'll clarify, I didn't say any of those teams were poor but I'm on record as saying Cork need to get rid of Counihan, Mayo lack the forwards to win Sam and Kerry should have been beaten by Westmeath.

My point about McBrearty is this a better team than recent previous managers had as evidenced by the emergence of this young player. I would have thought that was clear to follow.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 26, 2012, 11:40:27 PM
From hoganstand:

James Horan says Mayo will need to spend big if it is to end its All-Ireland famine.

Addressing supporters at last Sunday night's All-Ireland final banquet, the Mayo manager is quoted as saying in The Mayo News: "I think there's an important theme to take out of tonight, and for this year. For this team, and the group of players involved, it's only the start.

"As we said during the year, we got a lot of the inputs right and there's a lot we're getting right. But we've a huge amount of work to do.

"That amount of work requires resources and people pulling together. It requires county board, clubs, people on the ground, ye yourselves, to make sure that club football in Mayo, and inter-county football, gets the best set-up and the best structure that it can.

"If we want to be successful, to get Sam Maguire next year, there's a huge amount of investment needed. So it's important we don't fool ourselves.

"We made huge progress this year, and last year, but there's a lot more that needs to be done, and can be done. So, hopefully, with everyone pulling together, everyone facing the same way, this group of players staying together and improving themselves, their girlfriends and wives still giving us the same support, great things are still possible with this team."

Now, how on Earth are the county board going to raise this huge investment? I heard him on the way home on the bus myself. I have to say if he wants any more investment, he should take a look at his own tactics and players that are available to him. A lot of money was spent on the Mayo senior team alone this year.

Care to expand? What players has he left out that could attract this huge investment?
You might agree with his tactics either, but do you think they're causing people to stop investing in Mayo football?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2012, 11:21:24 PM
Struggle with it? Per attempt they have to have been the most successful team I've seen at long balls into the full-forward line. They used it very effectively this season.

And the idea that fitness is the difference is wildly inaccurate - Dublin clearly remain the single most well-trained team in the country. Donegal's success is from a coalescence of alot of different disciplines and to say they'll just be swept aside shows an incredible amount of arrogance and short-sightedness.

So many people are desperate to quantify things with generic statements - a team 'doesn't have natural footballers', 'they have unreal fitness', 'they have huge hunger'. You can be sure Big Jim wasn't spouting off many sentimental cliches when he was training the Donegal panel.

It's like trying to tell someone you've completed a jigsaw when you've only put two pieces together.

Why do you say that as a matter of interest? I would of thought that Donegal were fitter this year as were Kildare and maybe COrk too.

prewtna

From hoganstand:

thankfully someone else who has spotted this little nugget from Horan.

after the fiasco of the all-ireland tickets, corporate mayo wont be too happy with our esteemed county board and if they think they will get more money out of the clubs they have another thing coming. we are crippled as it is with affiliaition fee's. it is time someone shouted stop!

let the co board go off and get some decent money from elverys and maybe get off their holes and get Bruce Springsteen or someone (anyone) to play a gig in mchale park to at least put a dent in the debt they have.
until they do these things I for one will be telling them to shag off.

blast05

Quote from: prewtna on September 27, 2012, 10:10:18 AM
From hoganstand:

thankfully someone else who has spotted this little nugget from Horan.

after the fiasco of the all-ireland tickets, corporate mayo wont be too happy with our esteemed county board and if they think they will get more money out of the clubs they have another thing coming. we are crippled as it is with affiliaition fee's. it is time someone shouted stop!

let the co board go off and get some decent money from elverys and maybe get off their holes and get Bruce Springsteen or someone (anyone) to play a gig in mchale park to at least put a dent in the debt they have.
until they do these things I for one will be telling them to shag off.

Were the chairman, secretary, PRO, etc in their current positions when the decision was taken to build McHale Park and put the county board in debt..... 'No' as far as i am aware. So i think its unfair to be grouping them with the current issues.

James is right ..... money is needed to bring the team to the next level (e.g.: why not 2 warm weather training camps) and no better time to shout.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 26, 2012, 11:48:37 PM

I'd say everyone that is involved with club football in Mayo feels the same way.
But the fact remains that huge investment is needed if the county is  to win an All Ireland.
I have no ready answers but it's clear that the money needed can't be raised within Mayo.
I think prewtna is on the right track with his suggestion that McHale Park could be used for a concert- or maybe a couple of them.
It's  case of having to think outside the box and coming up with forms of fundraising that don't put an extra burden the clubs. I'd say Club Mayo and the likes won't be able to come up with the extra readies needed either.
I think an unconventional approach is needed and here I am thinking of the Web.

There are tens of thousands of Mayo people scattered throughout the world and if a way of appealing to them can be found, most, if not all, the money needed could be found. I'm not so sure that another bleddy ticket draw is the way to go either. I'm up to my posterior with appeals to buy tickets for one cause or another and I imagine everyone who follows Mayo is in the same boat.
However, I'm confident that many, especially in the US, Australia and Britain would be willing to sign a direct debit mandate to pay over a few bob in their particular currencies. A fiver a month, more or less, shouldn't bankrupt anyone and it's a case of setting up a mandate and forgetting, more or less, about it.

Here, the power of the Web kicks in.
I'd ask the owners of every Mayo-related website to stick in a an appeal asking for  debit donations.Some wouldn't but many more would be willing. An extra webpage won't cause any of them to crash and if the contents were to be composed by the CB or any other entity, the effort required would be minimal.
A direct appeal to some of the more popular sites to set the ball rolling, along with a request to other webmasters to join the cause, wouldn't cost anything and would be the fastest way of spreading the word.
I have a website (mayogodhelpus.com) and I'm pestered with requests from first and second generation Mayo heads to do their genealogy research for them. Knocking a few bob out of them would help cheer me up. Social history is my main interest and the rest of the site is badly in need of a revamp but, as I spend too much time on this site, this has been put on the hind tit.
However, I do have a relatively small but very interested bunch of history buffs and I'm fairly confident that I could get up to a dozen to cough up $5 or so per month for the cause.
I'd say Willie Joe, An Spailpin, Mick Hambly and others with popular sites (mayonews.ie etc.) could draw in a lot more.
There's feck all money and very little time or administrative hassle  involved.
Anyone think this idea is a runner?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sheamy

Strange turn of events...lads, an extra 300k in used tenners would not have stopped Murphy's goal. An extra man might have. Mayo looked like a pretty well prepared team to me. When coaches win, it's all good. When they lose, it's because they didn't get dessert after that national league game in March.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sheamy on September 27, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
Strange turn of events...lads, an extra 300k in used tenners would not have stopped Murphy's goal. An extra man might have. Mayo looked like a pretty well prepared team to me. When coaches win, it's all good. When they lose, it's because they didn't get dessert after that national league game in March.

From what i see, there seems to be a greater move toward semi-professionalism. Allot of players/manaers now a days can't be self employed. Either they have a public sector job, are an eternal student or expect to be sorted. I can't imagine how a player with a wife, young family and a resposible job can give so much of their free time. There is a constant raising of the bar and everybody is looking for the next guru that will give tham the edge. I doubt Horan is looking for more money, i'd say he's just trying to hold onto the budget that he already has.

The 'White Elephant' that is McHale Park is a proving to be one of the biggest mistakes of the county board. Far too big of a development was taken on for what was needed. It looks nice, but it will never justify being built. Bar the chance of a connacht final v Galway every 3/4 years (if you are lucky) which may attract a crowd, you'd be lucky to get 15k at a game v Sligo, Leitrim or Roscommon. As has been proven this year aslo that Hyde gets all the Back-door games.

JHume

I wouldn't like to see the bill for preparing the Donegal team this season!

Huge expense was went to with a large number of support staff (backroom team), as well as training camps etc.

When you win, it's great. But there's a big bill about to land on the doormat shortly.

Farrandeelin

OK, I will clarify. I was pretty much depressed and down when I was thinnking about the game and how it got away from us. I just think that putting Caff out in the corner, and Keane in on the edge of the square was an error. Also why didn't he bring on a sub earlier? Granted he put on 4 subs IIRC but the game was slipping away. He should have Richie Feeney on at half time in my opinion.

And as regards Lar Naparka's sentiments about having Mayos worldwide investing in the development of the team/McHale Park, well I for one thought Liam Horan brought that up in his Blueprint, ach sin scéal eile and I won't dwell on it now.

So how much investment do we put into Mayo seniors next year?