All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteThe idea is to catch the free-taker's eye and put him off. It might only work one out of four times but in a tight game, that's enough.

Jaysus, that's a very old one - in Larryland anyway.  There was this young fellah from Granard (whose name escapes me - Shamrock Shore/Laureleye??) who was lethal at it, and got many's the thump for his troubles (usually after the match).

More cynically, the best method is to make a run off to the side of the kicker (in his peripheral vision, rather than in the direct line of the goal), it's thought to be more distracting and thus more effective. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2012, 01:20:05 PM
QuoteThe idea is to catch the free-taker's eye and put him off. It might only work one out of four times but in a tight game, that's enough.

Jaysus, that's a very old one - in Larryland anyway.  There was this young fellah from Granard (whose name escapes me - Shamrock Shore/Laureleye??) who was lethal at it, and got many's the thump for his troubles (usually after the match).

More cynically, the best method is to make a run off to the side of the kicker (in his peripheral vision, rather than in the direct line of the goal), it's thought to be more distracting and thus more effective.
It's not particularly sporting . Another notch against Donegal to go with Jimmy doing omerta.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on September 28, 2012, 02:31:03 PM

It's not particularly sporting . Another notch against Donegal to go with Jimmy doing omerta.
Donegal are not the only ones, and they stood by for years as other teams stretched the rules. But as with all of Donegal's other supposed and singular transgressions over the past 18 months,  the GAA can easily change the rules if something is a problem.

J70

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 28, 2012, 01:30:47 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 27, 2012, 11:24:54 PM
Just a few thoughts.......

Andy Moran was a big loss.
(I hate to say it But) Conor Mortimer was a big loss for frees from the right.
Trevor Mortimer was also a loss this year, the game on Sunday would have suited him.
O'Sea was not 100% and we've only got 50 minutes max from him this championship, games are won in the last 20 minutes.
Seamie, Ritchie and Gibbons should have entered the frey earlier.
Barry Moran needs to bulk up, midfield is about muscle.
We had little or no hype in Mayo, there was less pressure on Mayo compared to Donegal.
We in reality were beaten by the second goal, although fortunate McFadden still had to be there and finish.
Brollys mid week comments influenced the referees handling of the game, yellow card wise for Mayo.
We easily matched Donegals (well over-hyped) intensity.
With injuries, players coming back from injuries, squad development, we probably got a stage too far this season.
We need to score goals. None against Dublin, Sligo or Donegal. Games that we needed goals.
Horan had most of his tactics spot on on Sunday, when we settled we pushed Donegal back. Although we were hit and miss with the long ball into the Donegal backline, we went over their blanket defence and when they retained possession they were further back than if they won at the 45 or half way line, this put more work on their running game. The problem for Horan was the 7 point start.

Strangely, I'm looking forward to next year!

I'm not so sure it was the second goal so much as the failure to keep the pressure up at the start of the second half. But who knows - there are loads of reasons and it's just a question of how they combine. Be interesting to see who steps up to claim a jersey next year.

Think you're being harsh on Mayo. There's no way they were going to maintain their second quarter performance after half time. Personally, I was pretty confident of winning once we got to half time still three points up. McGuinness has repeatedly shown his ability to address problems at halftime and there's no way Donegal  were going to be as poor in the second half.

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on September 28, 2012, 03:30:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 28, 2012, 02:31:03 PM

Donegal are not the only ones, and they stood by for years as other teams stretched the rules. But as with all of Donegal's other supposed and singular transgressions over the past 18 months,  the GAA can easily change the rules if something is a problem.

As you say there will be repercussions when 'nice' teams like Donegal and Mayo get cynical. You can't have the 'nice' teams joining the rest.

bucko

Quote from: J70 on September 28, 2012, 03:36:56 PM

Trevor Mortimer was also a loss this year, the game on Sunday would have suited him.
O'Sea was not 100% and we've only got 50 minutes max from him this championship, games are won in the last 20 minutes.
We had little or no hype in Mayo, there was less pressure on Mayo compared to Donegal.
We in reality were beaten by the second goal, although fortunate McFadden still had to be there and finish.
Brollys mid week comments influenced the referees handling of the game, yellow card wise for Mayo.
With injuries, players coming back from injuries, squad development, we probably got a stage too far this season.
We need to score goals. None against Dublin, Sligo or Donegal. Games that we needed goals.
Horan had most of his tactics spot on on Sunday, when we settled we pushed Donegal back. Although we were hit and miss with the long ball into the Donegal backline, we went over their blanket defence and when they retained possession they were further back than if they won at the 45 or half way line, this put more work on their running game. The problem for Horan was the 7 point start.

I'm not so sure it was the second goal so much as the failure to keep the pressure up at the start of the second half. But who knows - there are loads of reasons and it's just a question of how they combine. Be interesting to see who steps up to claim a jersey next year.

Think you're being harsh on Mayo. There's no way they were going to maintain their second quarter performance after half time. Personally, I was pretty confident of winning once we got to half time still three points up. McGuinness has repeatedly shown his ability to address problems at halftime and there's no way Donegal  were going to be as poor in the second half.
I'd disagree, our three wides on the trot and missed free came early in the third quarter. If we'd nailed them, while not necassarily meaning we'd have won it, it definitely would've made the finish a lot more interesting. I said in an earlier post that I thought Mayo's strongest spells throughout the c'ship have all been in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, while our defence tended to push higher up the pitch to force turnovers closer to the opposition goals. I still reckon McGuinness set out to exploit our slow first quarter and the space we leave at the back. Against Dublin and Down we did the same, go one on one in the full back line but with half backs and one midfielder(AOS primarily) covering back as the ball came in. Even for Murphy's goal Higgins was coming in to support Keane but didn't get back quick enough.
                                                                                                                       Very little seems to have been said of our strong points throughout the championship. We have definitely improved physically although it's still a work in progress. Our workrate and tackling, to quote from some media analysts, was ferocious at times, leading to us utterly dominating for long periods in some matches. Some of our play has been excellent, we ran up big scores. Our footpassing this year I thought was particularly good, Higgins, McLoughlin, AOS and Dillon provided some excellent deliveries with the boot this summer, a lot more than I'd seen previously. Tactically at times management were very good, coming up with a system to compensate for the loss of Andy Moran was the high point. I'm wondering how much of a factor O'Neill was in our play this year, I think his loss is huge just from continuity point of view. However they could have reacted a bit quicker at times to developing situations ie not funnelling men back when Dublin were coming back in the semi, they could've done the same after Murphy's first goal until the team settled, slow to bring on Feeney considering the impact he had and moving AOS to FF just showed of desparation. The upward graph needs to be kept going next year and mistakes need to be learned from, if we don't step it up again next summer I'd be afraid we might stagnate.

moysider

Anybody in mind Iolar? Thought myself that we could have blooded a few young fellas more this year. I suspect that if we get back to Croke Park again next August there will be a few changes. Only 8 of 2011 semi v Kerry started last Sunday s AI final. That in itself is a remarkable stat. Wouldn t expect as much again. 2/3 new starters maybe.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on September 28, 2012, 09:11:30 PM

Anybody in mind Iolar? Thought myself that we could have blooded a few young fellas more this year. I suspect that if we get back to Croke Park again next August there will be a few changes. Only 8 of 2011 semi v Kerry started last Sunday s AI final. That in itself is a remarkable stat. Wouldn t expect as much again. 2/3 new starters maybe.

Burrishoole, Parke, Kilmaine  and Charlestown, in the intermediate this weekend suppose would be games that should be looked at if any of the selectors have the stomach for it.

Syferus

Those lads who made out Tubs'd never have Donegal on like Dublin last year must be feeling pretty embarrassed now.

Farrandeelin

What happened to Cathal Freeman? Could he be our shining light?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

Pearce Hanley, come on home !!  Sadly, can't see it happening.
I'm shocked at Moysiders stat .... had missed that.

Captain Obvious

Not that remarkable Mayo lost that semi final by nine points to a Kerry side that weren't good enough to win the All Ireland.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 28, 2012, 09:41:39 PM

What happened to Cathal Freeman? Could he be our shining light?

He broke his leg - badly. His bother died in Australia in a crash.  He came back and played a couple of FBD games and I thought he did well - but I was in the minority. I d love to see him get a run at it again because he s class.

blast05

Captain Obvious ... changing 8 players not that surprising but to get to an All-Ireland final with that amount of change is.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 28, 2012, 09:49:09 PM

Not that remarkable Mayo lost that semi final by nine points to a Kerry side that weren't good enough to win the All Ireland.

;D ;D ;D ;D Captain, your a gas man for deliberately missing the point.

For arguements sake, Kerry were good enough to win the AI but got caught.

My point is that we ve had to grow up very quickly( we had 2 matches in 2010 champ. Sligo and Longford).

Then we ve had massive change from being a last 4 team to last 2 team in 1 year.

On the other hand teams like Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone (including Tyrone)  etc. have much less turnover. Apparently 11 of Donegals starters last weekend took a bit of a hiding v Armagh same evening Mayo lost to Longford in 2010!