All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2012, 04:38:22 PM
QuoteBut whilst we are on, Donegal managed to beat the pick of Mayo and Dublin when they won their last all ireland.  I have no reason to think this wont happen again.  Tradition is very much on Donegals side.

Yes; Mayo people forget that '92 was the real one that got away imo. I think it was 8 to 6 in the semi and of the 8 donegal got 7 frees.

That 92 semi final is best remembered for Donegal kicking wide after wide after that performance they were given no chance in  the All Ireland final can't say the same about them now.
Ah that day.
16th August 1992
All Ireland Minor Football Championship Semi Final:
Armagh 3-12  Roscommon 0-13
(Half time Armagh 2-06 Roscommon 0-08)

Armagh: D. Whitmarsh, K. Maille, E. Martin, E.
Bratten, C. Wilson, M. Hanratty, K O'Hagan (0-1),
B O'Hagan (0-3), P. McGrane, B. Hughes (0-2),
D. Marsden (1-2), P. Mc Nulty (0-1), D. Jordan, D.
Mackin (2-1), N. McGleanon (0-2).

Roscommon: Ray Lannon, Kevin Keegan, Padraig
Mulally, Padraig Kelly, Ciaran Duignan, Richie
Glover, Ciaran Grogan, Rossa O'Callaghan (capt.),
Adrian Doorey, Keith Murphy (0-2), Frank Farrell,
Sean Casey, Liam Murray (0-1), Gary McLaughlin,
Dermot Washington (0-8). Subs C. Connelly (0-1) A.
Nolan, F. Grehan (0-1).

Not a day to remember for us & we wouldn't reach another minor semi final until 2006 :( the same day Mayo beat the Dubs what a day & night that was  :)

Looking at the above team from what i remember all our subs became seniors as did Sean Casey,Rossa O'Callaghan (also played for Dublin) & Dermot Washington was the guy that never reached his potential.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: heffo on August 28, 2012, 08:54:44 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2012, 02:52:58 AM
The poor old us and conspiracy theories from the pair of ye are becoming a bit tiresome at this stage. It's like ye're trying to get the excuses in early

Have never seen such a load of whinging sh*te from a county in advance of the game never mind after it. As above McQuillan cost us the 2010 semi final v cork with couple of dreadful decisions. The 35 frees against v Tyrone were so bad they were almost funny by the end!! We've had our fair share of bad refereeing just like everyone else!!

This sort of nonsense makes Mayo supporters look like a bunch of 5 year olds!! Grow up will ye????

J70

Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2012, 04:38:22 PM
QuoteBut whilst we are on, Donegal managed to beat the pick of Mayo and Dublin when they won their last all ireland.  I have no reason to think this wont happen again.  Tradition is very much on Donegals side.

Yes; Mayo people forget that '92 was the real one that got away imo. I think it was 8 to 6 in the semi and of the 8 donegal got 7 frees.

You're thinking wrong. It was 13 pts to 9 at the end.  Don't remember the free count but seven scored frees sounds about right. Donegal, once they got going in the second half, were easily the better team.

moysider

Quote from: MaigheoAbu on August 28, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2012, 02:52:58 AM
The poor old us and conspiracy theories from the pair of ye are becoming a bit tiresome at this stage. It's like ye're trying to get the excuses in early
+1,totally agree!

Just cause I m paranoid doesn t mean they are not out to get us  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Relax. No point moaning after.

Look. My last shout on this. If likes of neutral pundits such as Deegan and Moyles dismiss Mayo s chances and see the result as a foregone conclusion, then neutrals like the ref and linesmen are conditioned as well by years of prejudice in public opinion to expect a certain result. Human nature being the way it is they may facilitate the expected script. Mayo have become a self-fulfilling stereotype. Many within the county dismiss us and give us no chance based on past experiences. More worryingly neutrals keep the stereotype going year after year. As Crete Boom explained current players and form does not justify the disrespect for this year but seems to be based on the stereotype that has developed over 20+ years when we have been a fairly consistent team but lost any final we got to.

Rossfan

I think ye Mayowr bucks need to keep away from this particular thread till Sunday evening. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on August 29, 2012, 10:57:06 AM
I think ye Mayowr bucks need to keep away from this particular thread till Sunday evening. ;)

That's akin to saying we need to stay away from Croker on Sunday (to avoid the impending doom) and from Flannerys/Coppers Sunday night. You are probably right but there's more chance of us winning Liam McCarthy than that happenning ;D

Mayo4Sam

I'll start by saying I think the Dubs will beat us on Sunday

BUT I think if either team is going to beat Donegal I'd say Mayo are the better bet, our fitness, two big midfielders and most importantly our disciplined defending would not suit Donegal. It could even things out nicely to make for a fascinating game and in fairness Donegal have provided us with all the best matches for two years (bar 1st roundest yr)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Feckitt

What was the phrase as gaeilge that oul fellas used to have written on pieces of cardboard on Jones Road on AIF day looking for tickets? 

POBreaslain

Was it "Ag lorg ticéidí" or "Ag cuartú ticéidí"? Or maybe "Ticéidí de dhíth"?

Feckitt

Thanks lad, it definitely started with Ticeid or Ticeidi, so maybe it was Ticeidi de dhith.   This was a fairly common sight in the late 80's, early 90's.

Hardy

Strange - I can't remember ever seeing that. What I remember from those days is scangers in suit jacket, shiny track suit bottom and runners bawling, "anyone buyin or sellin tickets?"

Feckitt

Thought you would remember that Hardy because I'm talking about during Meath's glory years.  Im still not sure if Ticeidi de dhith is the correct answer though

rrhf

From the Bunker