All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 27, 2012, 07:07:59 PM
Lord McStay has said on rte radio that its Donegals to loose.......................... hes full of shite that man  ::).............not long ago seanie johnson was kicking winning points into the hill to beat dublin in the final

Eh? That opinion has spread far and wide since yesterday. Nothing notable about it.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 27, 2012, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 12:03:02 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2012, 11:51:02 PM
How do you beat Donegal?

They will maul Mayo.

Dublin can possibly match them in terms of the work done over the last 18 months but have they the drive to burst a lung this year?

Incredible levels of disrespect in this thread.

James Horan has done as impressive a job with Mayo as Jim McGuiness has with Donegal. They are one of the fittest teams in the country and if anything are even more hungry than Donegal are, they are one of the few teams in the country that could out-last Donegal.

If you told Mayo they could win the All-Ireland by beating Dublin and Donegal they'd have bit your hand off. If Mayo prove good enough to beat Dublin they most certainly can give Donegal an almighty rattle. The gap between the top four or five is minuscule at best.
Donegal have just beaten three of the last four All Ireland winners their hunger is second to none and they deserve all the plaudits. In[/b] fairness Mayo have a bit to go before reaching that level.
Bullshit
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Orchardman

I was full sure donegal would beat kerry and cork. Different now, they will be slight favs for the final, and thats a change. But it depends on this sunday, if either mayo or dublin put on a brilliant show and manage a great convincing win by maybe 5-6 points, then the hype will be just as bad as donegal ( well, not quite as mad as donegal, as their bananas at the best of times)

And yes i agree that horan has done an equally good job with mayo as has been done with donegal. They were at a low ebb in 2010, just like donegal, have since won back to back provincials, and have a good solid strong team ethic with some skillful players. Mayo hype might be low key as they have been to plenty of recent finals and lost, whereas donegal havnt been in those finals. But a big win for mayo on sunday would surely change all that.

Dublin are being sneaky, i think their lying in the long grass hoping to slip in to the final and then put on a big show.

anyways lads, nothing really else to say here til sundays game is over!

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 27, 2012, 08:09:16 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 27, 2012, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 12:03:02 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2012, 11:51:02 PM
How do you beat Donegal?

They will maul Mayo.

Dublin can possibly match them in terms of the work done over the last 18 months but have they the drive to burst a lung this year?

Incredible levels of disrespect in this thread.

James Horan has done as impressive a job with Mayo as Jim McGuiness has with Donegal. They are one of the fittest teams in the country and if anything are even more hungry than Donegal are, they are one of the few teams in the country that could out-last Donegal.

If you told Mayo they could win the All-Ireland by beating Dublin and Donegal they'd have bit your hand off. If Mayo prove good enough to beat Dublin they most certainly can give Donegal an almighty rattle. The gap between the top four or five is minuscule at best.
Donegal have just beaten three of the last four All Ireland winners their hunger is second to none and they deserve all the plaudits. In[/b] fairness Mayo have a bit to go before reaching that level.
Bullshit

Jason Sherlock today wrote that it would be some achievement for Donegal to win Sam because they d have to beat every winner since 1014 - sorry no .... 2003. Sunday Game last night broke into hysterics at the idea of Mayo beating Dublin. Davis nearly painted himself into a corner with false praise for this Mayo but almost choked when asked if he was tipping Mayo to beat Dubs. Then the sniggering started.

Great gas altogether except there is a serious aspect to this shite.

Donegal have managed to break through the prejudice that labelled them as lepers in the game and now their biggest critics are fawning to get onside when they re the newest biggest cocks on the barnroof.

It s a small enough circle and I ve no doubt that McQuillan and his entourage will be expecting to officiate over a Dub win next weekend. Human nature.

If the game was in Castlebar I would not expect to lose this but this is basically a football trap. We ll have to be much better than Dublin and that s a big ask.

Most neutrals like Dublin in final as well - more media interest when there involved and more 'colour'

An excited lad at work today - usually more Finn Harps and Man U than Donegal - reckoned that a final v Dubs would be a better 'spectacle' ( flares on The Hill maybe?) but hoped Mayo got there. Hmmm, reckon he d prefer the flares.

My point is that the dice is loaded with all that shite.

Syferus

I've never yet met a neutral that's been rooting for the Dubs against anyone but Kerry. The Dubs will be islanded on Sunday, for all it matters.

blast05

Moysider, agree 100% with all your sentiments re Sunday.... so, we need 20,000 Mayo folks screaming blue murder every time one of those decisions inevitably go against us. Time to kick off a campaign - Facebook usually the best place !
Fair play is all we want.

stephenite

The poor old us and conspiracy theories from the pair of ye are becoming a bit tiresome at this stage. It's like ye're trying to get the excuses in early

Declan

QuoteThe poor old us and conspiracy theories from the pair of ye are becoming a bit tiresome at this stage. It's like ye're trying to get the excuses in early
+1

seanog

Sure it is a matter of "poor aul us " though thats the problem, the appointment of Mquillan for this game is farcical, it's ridiculous beyond ridiculous, AvB games, last years final, Meath 09, the list is endless on why he should not of been chosen.

As for the tv pundits and journos, it's beyond disrespect too at this stage the way they ignore or even laugh at Mayo.

Look at the love in with Donegal, this is their second time only in their history to win a semi final, i think we have won 12 in our history, five of them since 89 too but when it comes to Mayo history tis all about laughing at their displays in finals. I can live with that even , i was just pointing out the difference in pedigree , yet you would think it the opposite, it's the sheer disrespect for this present team that boils my blood. 

stephenite

I just hope the players have more sense than to be reading this stuff.

I will never accept that the likes of Joe McQuillan, Martin Sludden and Pat Mceaneay set out to ride teams, does it happen? Of course it does, but is it done on purpose? In my view that's nonsense and loser talk.

With regards to media disrespect, you earn respect. For years Donegal were the biggest laughing stock in mainstream media, they've done something about it. There's a lesson in there, and I think James Horan has learned it pretty fast.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2012, 08:08:08 AM

I will never accept that the likes of Joe McQuillan, Martin Sludden and Pat Mceaneay set out to ride teams, does it happen? Of course it does, but is it done on purpose? In my view that's nonsense and loser talk.

With regards to media disrespect, you earn respect. For years Donegal were the biggest laughing stock in mainstream media, they've done something about it. There's a lesson in there, and I think James Horan has learned it pretty fast.
Exactly. I'd nearly love a total Mayo blackout from everyone within the county IF we get by Sunday. Could do us the world of good not to talk ourselves out of the game for once.

We had respect for around 3 weeks after the 06 semi if i can remember correctly!

seanog

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2012, 08:08:08 AM

That's your opinion , i disagree as regards McQuillan , he has been officiating too many Dublin games, the AvB games thing is an absolute disgrace imo, too familiar with the Dublin team.

What have Donegal done that Mayo haven't done to earn respect?  Unfortunately you are conditioned too  like the majority of this country by what the media are telling you. I don't know where in gods name they're going to turn to, when we win it this year, esp the ex players journo brigade, the likes of Hayes would have to leave the stage (tv anyhow).

blast05

Stephenite, in any other sport, McQuillan would not have been appointed for this game cos of his history.

My only ambition here would be to ensure (somehow) that McQuillan is aware of the concerns in Mayo re his appointment. I don't for a moment believe he has any intention of being anything but as fair as possible. However, human nature being what it is will see decisions go the way of Dublin without McQuillan thinking he has made a bad call. So, if the concerns expressed here and elsewhere were to force him to hold off bowing the whistle for half a second and ask himself a 2nd time whether it was a foul, etc, then i'd be happy.

Similar such concerns as mine and Moysiders are expressed in all other mainstream sports when there is a controversial appointment. Why is it frowned upon so strongly in gaelic football? Its not as if we are blessed with the highest possible quality officiating on any given Sunday.

Onion Bag

Im looking a couple of tickets for the final lads, a couple for the hogan stand lower deck will do nicely, PM me and i will give you my details  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

heffo

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2012, 02:52:58 AM
The poor old us and conspiracy theories from the pair of ye are becoming a bit tiresome at this stage. It's like ye're trying to get the excuses in early

It's really poor.

As I've said before on another thread, this is the same Joe McQuillan that gave 35 of the softest frees against Dublin in the Quarter final v Tyrone in a game we utterly dominated. He also gave the crucial line ball decision to Cork for the winning point.

Whinging in advance is a new low. 31 counties will be cheering for Mayo, if you're good enough you'll win, if not you won't.