Cork v Kildare

Started by CorkMan, July 28, 2012, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 05:02:44 PM
Kildare will run all day but lack natural forwards.

Galway can't run 15mins and lack any forwards. You should be more concerned about that rather than wumming Kildare, Kerry and Mayo folk.

Sure we get on great with the Galway lads. The Kildare folk have the beano started in Ballybrit already this week with Dermot Weld, Mick Halford and the Lilywhite great himself Willie McCreeery beating all around them.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical preview of the game here for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=6052
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

seafoid

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 05:02:44 PM
Kildare will run all day but lack natural forwards.

Galway can't run 15mins and lack any forwards. You should be more concerned about that rather than wumming Kildare, Kerry and Mayo folk.
I seem to have a shadow
The Tyrone match  "was as good as an All-Ireland" for Kerry but Kildare wouldn't say the same about Sligo. 

Give and Go

I think Sligo Manager Kevin Walsh made some valid points about cynicism in the game afterwards. Harrisson was red carded for swinging back at Johnny Doyle.
Every game I attend, club or county, I witness corner backs pushing, shoving, goading, holding or pawing the corner forwards. I have never seen an umpire act on it until the corner forward reacts and retaliates in some form. Both players might get yellow. But the forward has been penalised unfairly and is drawn into a physical battle that negates skill and fair play.

I have seen Johnny Doyle play for Kildare a few times this year. He is getting away with murder! Every game he plays he is constantly blocking opponents runs and even dragging them down. He has a great name and I suppose it's the opposite of the old saying - 'give a dog a bad name!'......
But it's that cynicism that is ruining the game and the failure of referees, umpires and administrators to see it baffles me.

spuds

Quote from: Give and Go on July 31, 2012, 11:37:59 AM
I think Sligo Manager Kevin Walsh made some valid points about cynicism in the game afterwards. Harrisson was red carded for swinging back at Johnny Doyle.
Every game I attend, club or county, I witness corner backs pushing, shoving, goading, holding or pawing the corner forwards. I have never seen an umpire act on it until the corner forward reacts and retaliates in some form. Both players might get yellow. But the forward has been penalised unfairly and is drawn into a physical battle that negates skill and fair play.

I have seen Johnny Doyle play for Kildare a few times this year. He is getting away with murder! Every game he plays he is constantly blocking opponents runs and even dragging them down. He has a great name and I suppose it's the opposite of the old saying - 'give a dog a bad name!'......
But it's that cynicism that is ruining the game and the failure of referees, umpires and administrators to see it baffles me.
Have a look at the Munster final for to see how the Cork forwards "tackle" to stop the opposition from gathering any momentum. It's ruining the game this systematic mauling of the opposition, no other game on earth permits and rewards such cynical play.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Donnellys Hollow

Johnny has learned the hard way. He has been Kildare's main man throughout most of his career and has always been targeted by the opposition as the one to stop by hook or by crook. He takes a serious amount of punishment off the ball (see Donegal match last year) and its no harm to see him give a bit back - if you can't beat them, join them. I think he has got a lot cuter as he has got older, a bit like Glenn in his latter years.

Harrison was walking a tight line before the sending off and its clear that frustration just got the better of him. It was Johnny's best display this year and he covered every blade of grass. I'd say Noel O'Leary will shadow him on Sunday and that will be one of the key battles in deciding the outcome of this match. If Johnny can frustrate O'Leary it will do Kildare's chances no harm at all.

Give and Go

Agree with you fully Donnelly's Hollow. Great servant who def shipped his fair share of punishment - prob the reason i have been surprised by him recently. The administrators are in cuckoo land - the ills of the game would be quickly remedied without any rule changes; just open their eyes and protect players.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 31, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
Johnny has learned the hard way. He has been Kildare's main man throughout most of his career and has always been targeted by the opposition as the one to stop by hook or by crook. He takes a serious amount of punishment off the ball (see Donegal match last year) and its no harm to see him give a bit back - if you can't beat them, join them. I think he has got a lot cuter as he has got older, a bit like Glenn in his latter years.

Harrison was walking a tight line before the sending off and its clear that frustration just got the better of him. It was Johnny's best display this year and he covered every blade of grass. I'd say Noel O'Leary will shadow him on Sunday and that will be one of the key battles in deciding the outcome of this match. If Johnny can frustrate O'Leary it will do Kildare's chances no harm at all.

Doyle got plenty of "punishment" against Donegal last year but I didn't see anything untoward with any of it.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 31, 2012, 03:31:32 PM

Doyle got plenty of "punishment" against Donegal last year but I didn't see anything untoward with any of it.

Didn't see it with my own eyes but the rumour is that he shipped a heavy, intentional blow at the throw-in.

Donnellys Hollow

He was targeted off the ball but that is par for the course in modern football and in truth the key players have been targeted by the opposition since the year dot.

Jack Higgins would tell you that it was far worse back in the day if he was still alive:

http://www.terracetalk.com/articles/Tributes/312/A-Legendary-Lilywhite--Jack-Higgins-of-Kildare

oakleafgael

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 31, 2012, 03:39:48 PM

He was targeted off the ball but that is par for the course in modern football and in truth the key players have been targeted by the opposition since the year dot.

Jack Higgins would tell you that it was far worse back in the day if he was still alive:

http://www.terracetalk.com/articles/Tributes/312/A-Legendary-Lilywhite--Jack-Higgins-of-Kildare

Who targeted him? What qualifies as a serious amount of punishment, by that I would assume that he was repeatedly taken out of it. Sounds like more of the ref beat us chat from the lillies.

camanchero

mylestheslasher- had to laugh , Kildare bringing loats of colour to games...yes, the pale white colour !

Dinny- david kelly- the val andrews lookalike??

as for Kildare v Cork.
The additional games have brought kildare on a lot.
Cork will still be a bit ring rusty and now is the time to play them.
I think cork have superb forwards but often the team just breaks down and they play as individuals and are then often clueless.
If Cork are let build up a head of steam, they could win and win big.
IMO Kildare could be a lot better with changes to the existing team deployment.
Callaghan , Doyle and O'Neill are their best HF line.
Smith, Kavanagh as an inside forward line.
I'd use either EOFlagherty as he extra man coming forward, with Connor starting in midfield where apparantly his sublime distribution has been outstanding for his club this season.
Pair him alongside Flynn.
Robert Kelly in the corner and Foley back FB. The rest of the def is decent enough.
Kildare could win through.
Cork on form though would beat them by a good few points. Cork's inconsistency and rustiness give Kildare massive hope.
The AI final is the game after this one though imo.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 31, 2012, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 31, 2012, 03:39:48 PM

Who targeted him? What qualifies as a serious amount of punishment, by that I would assume that he was repeatedly taken out of it. Sounds like more of the ref beat us chat from the lillies.

I think he was targeted by plenty of pulling and hitting off the ball that day but to be honest it was not much more different to what you'd see him get in most matches in recent years. Of course he's going to get targeted and Kildare have done it to key opposition players too in the past like when Brian Lacey gave the fibres of Maurice Fitzgerald's jersey a thorough testing back in 1998. My point was that I think it's good that Johnny is not afraid to give as good as he gets these days.

Where are you getting this 'the ref beat us chat from the lilies' from? I've certainly never blamed a referee for any of our recent defeats and I don't think any other Kildare posters have on here either. Sure we've had a few dodgy calls go against us, probably more than our fair share, but there'll be one big day where we might get a few in our favour. Hopefully that day might be this Sunday. As I saw it, the defeat to Donegal last year was a case of Kildare running out of steam in the second period of extra time to a fresher team. It was our fourth game in successive weekends and the players were running on fumes at the end. I hope history doesn't repeat itself this weekend because we have had a similar campaign and Cork should be fresher. The extent of the impact the Kildare substitutes have could be very important.

RMDrive

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 31, 2012, 03:37:20 PM

Didn't see it with my own eyes but the rumour is that he shipped a heavy, intentional blow at the throw-in.

You should know better than to believe in rumours. At the throw in Michael Hegarty and Doyle clashed - it was a perfectly accidental coming together and it can be see in the TV footage of the match (I have a copy of it if you would like to watch it again  ;) ). Hegarty ended up going off injured because of it while Doyle seemed to get a dead leg. It is as legitimate to say that Doyle targeted Hegarty as it is to say that Doyle was targeted. Both are complete lies.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: camanchero on July 31, 2012, 04:26:57 PM
mylestheslasher- had to laugh , Kildare bringing loats of colour to games...yes, the pale white colour !

Dinny- david kelly- the val andrews lookalike??

as for Kildare v Cork.
The additional games have brought kildare on a lot.
Cork will still be a bit ring rusty and now is the time to play them.
I think cork have superb forwards but often the team just breaks down and they play as individuals and are then often clueless.
If Cork are let build up a head of steam, they could win and win big.
IMO Kildare could be a lot better with changes to the existing team deployment.
Callaghan , Doyle and O'Neill are their best HF line.
Smith, Kavanagh as an inside forward line.
I'd use either EOFlagherty as he extra man coming forward, with Connor starting in midfield where apparantly his sublime distribution has been outstanding for his club this season.
Pair him alongside Flynn.
Robert Kelly in the corner and Foley back FB. The rest of the def is decent enough.
Kildare could win through.
Cork on form though would beat them by a good few points. Cork's inconsistency and rustiness give Kildare massive hope.
The AI final is the game after this one though imo.

Flynn played county league for Moorefield last Sunday and it's very surprising that he has not featured in recent games. I don't know whether he has been injured or not but both Earley and White have been brought on ahead of him at midfield. Foley has been outstanding there the last two weekends in fairness to him but the Cork pairing will be in a different parish to Sligo, Limerick and Cavan.

I'd agree with most of the rest but I don't think McGeeney fancies O'Connor as a midfielder for whatever reason. I wouldn't be leaving Conway out for O'Neill though. For all that Paudie brings a lot of in terms of physicality and workrate, he lacks Conway's ability to link the play around the middle. Conway's freetaking from the right hand side of the field has also been a very good addition this year.