Cork v Kildare

Started by CorkMan, July 28, 2012, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2012, 11:21:10 PM
When Kildare lose to Cork do ye reckon will McGeeney leave or will he get another year?

He wouldn't need to get another year as he has a Contract until 2013.

Paul Grimley is the new Armagh manager, so that would rule out McGeeney from being involved with them next year, and Glen Ryan is staying with Longford for another year, The man who was suppose to be the fav to take over from McGeeney. Your hoping Mcgeeney will go becuase of johnston, sad that Myles.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 28, 2012, 10:10:47 PM
Quote from: Man of Kent on July 28, 2012, 09:42:31 PM
I'm obviously quite new to this, but does everyone want Kildare beat over the Johnston affair or is it a long running thing?

More the Johnston thing. Wasn't the most ethical transfer ever but smacks of hypocrisy to hate Kildare over it... Cork won All-Irelands in 1989 and 1990 spearheaded by two Kildare players, for example.

No-one likes us, MoK, but we don't care. Up the Lilies.

Kildare as Millwall I like it...

They build us up and now they are ready to cut loose, the article from the failed rugby writer in the Indo was amusing, just waiting to stick the knife into Kildare, as I have said previously they have the epitaph already written.

We will probably get to read it next week but CorK are favourites and are a superb team so it will be hard to justify Kildare losing as an epic failure.

Who's the failed rugby writer in the Indo?

Donnellys Hollow

They build us up and now they are ready to cut loose, the article from the failed rugby writer in the Indo was amusing, just waiting to stick the knife into Kildare, as I have said previously they have the epitaph already written.

We will probably get to read it next week but CorK are favourites and are a superb team so it will be hard to justify Kildare losing as an epic failure.

What article was this?

It's amusing that Donegal seem to have taken over the mantle of media darlings now after the ridiculous amount of bad press they got last year. Kildare were being given the big build up in the press last year and now we're public enemy number one. Some turnaround.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 29, 2012, 10:31:54 AM
When Kildare lose to Cork do ye reckon will McGeeney leave or will he get another year?

Paul Grimley is the new Armagh manager, so that would rule out McGeeney from being involved with them next year, and Glen Ryan is staying with Longford for another year, The man who was suppose to be the fav to take over from McGeeney. Your hoping Mcgeeney will go becuase of johnston, sad that Myles.

First off, I just asked a question.
2nd, I was a fan of Kildare before this season. They brought great crowds and colour to their matches and I think like most people I'd have liked to see then do well and win a Leinster or even Sam. However, Mcgeeney has crossed the line in my opinion tapping up players from other counties - not just SJ. I, like a lot of people, am against this type of behaviour no matter what county and what player. McGeeney has damaged the goodwill towards kildare and while he  might not give a shit I'm sure plenty in kildare do as well as elsewhere. So the question is again will he be forced out or leave given for all his professional approach, player poaching etc he will have won nothing in his term if they lose to Cork.

rodney trotter

If Kildare were to win the All Ireland this year or next year, and say Johnston made the difference in the Final, most Kildare people would accept Johnston as a Kildare player. He hasn't started a game yet so McGeeney hasn't exactly made it look like as soon as Johnston was available he would be in the team. They have a squad of players, and Johnston is one of them, not the main man.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 29, 2012, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 29, 2012, 10:31:54 AM

First off, I just asked a question.
2nd, I was a fan of Kildare before this season. They brought great crowds and colour to their matches and I think like most people I'd have liked to see then do well and win a Leinster or even Sam. However, Mcgeeney has crossed the line in my opinion tapping up players from other counties - not just SJ. I, like a lot of people, am against this type of behaviour no matter what county and what player. McGeeney has damaged the goodwill towards kildare and while he  might not give a shit I'm sure plenty in kildare do as well as elsewhere. So the question is again will he be forced out or leave given for all his professional approach, player poaching etc he will have won nothing in his term if they lose to Cork.

The management team is not up for review by the County Board at the end of this year so it would take a club delegate to propose a motion to change the management and that would have to receive a 2/3s majority. I know there are plenty of club delegates out there who would be delighted to see the back of McGeeney but I can't see any of them sticking their head above the parapet to raise a motion of no confidence and I very much doubt they'd be able to get a 2/3s majority.

With Glenn looking like he'll stick with Longford for another year it would probably be shooting ourselves in the foot anyway because I can't see another manager out there who would be acceptable to the players and supporters alike. Whatever people's opinions on McGeeney and I have a few of my own, no one an deny that he has got the maximum levels of commitment and dedication out of this group of players. I don't think anyone other than Glenn would get the same levels of trust from the players.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 29, 2012, 11:02:53 AM
If Kildare were to win the All Ireland this year or next year, and say Johnston made the difference in the Final, most Kildare people would accept Johnston as a Kildare player. He hasn't started a game yet so McGeeney hasn't exactly made it look like as soon as Johnston was available he would be in the team. They have a squad of players, and Johnston is one of them, not the main man.

I agree, that's one side of the coin. Kildare win Sam, sj is great and mcgeeney is a legend and f**k the begrudgers. The other side of the coin is what I'm asking about and I might add this is more likely. Cork beat kildare and 4 years on kildare have won nothing under mcgeeney - what then?

Donnellys Hollow

I wonder if McGeeney privately wonders now if it was worth all the hassle. Maybe I'm biased because I was against the guy playing for Kildare but in his three appearances so far, I have not been overly impressed with him and I don't think he's much of an improvement on the other fringe players we have. The game was effectively over when he kicked his two points against Limerick and his only contribution last night was to fall over when the ball came near him. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and make a match winning contribution against Cork but I think it's interesting that both Alan Smith and James Kavanagh have both upped their games significantly so far this summer. Maybe that's what McGeeney was after all along!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2012, 11:15:03 AM

I wonder if McGeeney privately wonders now if it was worth all the hassle. Maybe I'm biased because I was against the guy playing for Kildare but in his three appearances so far, I have not been overly impressed with him and I don't think he's much of an improvement on the other fringe players we have. The game was effectively over when he kicked his two points against Limerick and his only contribution last night was to fall over when the ball came near him. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and make a match winning contribution against Cork but I think it's interesting that both Alan Smith and James Kavanagh have both upped their games significantly so far this summer. Maybe that's what McGeeney was after all along!!

Hell have learnt a lesson that any Cavan man would tell you, seanie doesn't do games in bad weather!

rodney trotter

It'd hard to know. Johnston was a top forward for 5/6 years with Cavan, but his form last year was very poor. Cavan were very poor last year in general, but he looked like he wasn't the same player he was a few years ago. He hasn't looked the same player since he finished in DCU where they basically eat, drink and sleep football.

Although he has played very little football since the Ulster Club match last October against Glenswilly. That was his last game with the Gaels, he has only played one league game with St Kevins and the cameo Hurling appearance. Only so much training, playing games is whats it all about.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2012, 10:40:01 AM

What article was this?

It's amusing that Donegal seem to have taken over the mantle of media darlings now after the ridiculous amount of bad press they got last year. Kildare were being given the big build up in the press last year and now we're public enemy number one. Some turnaround.

David Kelly is the failed rugby writer, was a soccer journalist, originally moved to rugby and is now on football, brutal at all 3.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/a-manager-can-lose-a-game-but-he-can-never-win-it-3182188.html

Maybe I'm paranoid but the tone really has shifted and the choice of language is so negative and an obvious agenda has risen

Some selective quotes

QuoteWere it not for James Kavanagh dispossessing a toiling, loitering Limerick man, John Cooke, on the Kildare goal-line, their championship hopes would have expired before the quarter-finals for the first time on McGeeney's watch.

It would have been the last.

QuoteKildare, you suspect, after five years of liberating relief from being at once perennial mediocrities but also frustrating under-achievers, would not have stood on ceremony as they politely held the door open for him on the way out.

QuoteKildare's calamitous Leinster submission to a young, vibrant Meath, which left them once more at the mercy of the penitential qualifiers, sees them visit a venue to which they raised a familiar objection.

QuoteLike the strop concerning O'Moore Park, it was summarily dismissed by officialdom and ridiculed by the general populace.

QuoteTo the suggestion that Breffni Park be deployed, internet wags opined that Cavan had done quite enough to accommodate Kildare GAA already, thank you very much.

QuoteSadly but predictably, many neutrals will be wishing Sligo much cheer in their bid to tan the Lilywhite hides.

QuoteAnd so, just as the benefit of history won't unnerve many in Sligo, the uncertainty of the present will weigh heavily on Kildare shoulders.

QuoteHis side share similar traits -- and thus limitations -- to today's opposition. The difference is McGeeney, in his fifth year with Kildare, was supposed to have trumped every obstacle by now.

QuoteAt huge expense, he has ultimately failed to do so and, although ill-fortune has mocked his reign -- dodgy frees and 'square balls' alike -- bad luck has not been as entirely coincidental as the often paranoid Kildare camp would like to suggest.

Self-imposed failings and McGeeney's own flaws have played as much a role as purported malign influences beyond his and the team's control.

QuoteKildare's chances are running out. Lose to Sligo and McGeeeney will probably lose his job.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 29, 2012, 11:26:25 AM

It'd hard to know. Johnston was a top forward for 5/6 years with Cavan, but his form last year was very poor. Cavan were very poor last year in general, but he looked like he wasn't the same player he was a few years ago. He hasn't looked the same player since he finished in DCU where they basically eat, drink and sleep football.

Although he has played very little football since the Ulster Club match last October against Glenswilly. That was his last game with the Gaels, he has only played one league game with St Kevins and the cameo Hurling appearance. Only so much training, playing games is whats it all about.

Maybe it is just rustiness from a lack of games but he's yet to show, admittedly from very limited opportunities, that he deserves to start for Kildare. Obviously anything he does on the field is going to be subject to far more scrutiny than any other player.

Looking forward to next weekend I'd be surprised if there were many changes. Foley again was immense at midfield and his physicality will be needed against Cork's big men. Interesting to see if Cork deploy Murphy on the edge of the square again and whether we stick McGrillen or Kelly on him. Kildare's defence last night was excellent. Sligo were poor but the Kildare backs were relentless and there was huge intensity and aggression for 70 mins which was great to see. Sligo couldn't live with it and eventually just lost the heads as evidenced by Harrison lashing out at Johnny. It was the first time in a good while that I've seen such hunger from this Kildare team - a week really is a long time in football.

Leper could push hard for a place and he's the type of pacy, hard-running player that could cause the Cork half-back line problems. That's the one area of the field where I feel we can get at them. If we can get parity at midfield then we should give them a right rattle.

Dinny Breen

And today's match report from the Indo continues this theme.

Any Kildare supporter will tell you that last night wasn't one of frustration but of delight, happy with our work rate, happy with our intensity and to win by 9 points and holding the opposition to no score from play in 70 minutes..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/lilies-lacking-killer-instinct-3182607.html

QuoteKildare boss Kieran McGeeney is still searching for that magic bullet that could transform his side into genuine All-Ireland contenders.

The Lilywhites frustrated their fans at Hyde Park last night with another performance soaked in promise but so sadly lacking in conviction. A nine-point success is no more than any manager would wish for at this stage of the championship season, but this Round 4 Qualifier win was less than inspiring.

Yes, they did completely snuff out Sligo's attacking threat, but they failed to drive home the advantage in a manner which will shorten their odds for All-Ireland success.

It's been something of a struggle for McGeeney's men since their Leinster Championship assault was ambushed by Meath. Almost derailed by Limerick, they managed to recover sufficient composure to get over the line last night.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: In manager Kevin Walsh, too, Sligo have a man who knows what it's like to beat Kildare; the Galway giant anchored his county's midfield in both the 1998 All-Ireland final and the 2000 semi-final (the last time John Doyle failed to score in a championship game).

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/a-manager-can-lose-a-game-but-he-can-never-win-it-3182188.html

Factually incorrect for a start!

Quote from: Kildare boss Kieran McGeeney is still searching for that magic bullet that could transform his side into genuine All-Ireland contenders.

The Lilywhites frustrated their fans at Hyde Park last night with another performance soaked in promise but so sadly lacking in conviction. A nine-point success is no more than any manager would wish for at this stage of the championship season, but this Round 4 Qualifier win was less than inspiring.

Yes, they did completely snuff out Sligo's attacking threat, but they failed to drive home the advantage in a manner which will shorten their odds for All-Ireland success.

It's been something of a struggle for McGeeney's men since their Leinster Championship assault was ambushed by Meath. Almost derailed by Limerick, they managed to recover sufficient composure to get over the line last night.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/lilies-lacking-killer-instinct-3182607.html

It was probably the most encouraging Kildare performance in a long time and I'd have been quite pesimistic about the way things were going prior to the throw in last night. Everything these days is written in the context of Kildare being contenders. Cork rather than Sligo will be a defining examination in that regard.

Dinny Breen

But we keep getting written off as contenders, so why are we been evaluated as contenders? It's mental while the balance last year was too positive it has now swung to the opposite end of the spectrum, it's really hard outside some forums and blogs to get objective decent analysis that makes you sit up and think yea that's a valid point, there is now a severe lack of constructive criticism in the national newspapers, it's all sound bites.

I mean for example there is a myth that Kildare scored with the last kick of the game against Limerick but there was actually another minute to play and Kildare had a chance to win it in normal time and probably should have as Leper had time and space but it's painfully obvious people are analyzing that game having only see 2 minutes on the Sunday game.

Anyhow really look forward to this game, we'll bring confidence into it, will be match sharper and can match Cork physically, I personally don't see much difference between either set of forwards, I certainly don't see a Colm Cooper or Declan O'Sullivan playing for Cork. Cork though will be physically fresher and in the last 20 minutes if it's tight can see Cork edging it especially as they won't lack for belief, something that Kildare unfortunately will lack something that a win will actually give us.

We're a young side still and the optimist thinks that promotion to Division 1, a good performance in the AIQF and it won't have been a bad year especially after the SJ saga and a year in Division 1 playing the top sides could really see us push on next year..

#newbridgeornowhere