Cork v Kildare

Started by CorkMan, July 28, 2012, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2012, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Kildare as Millwall I like it...

They build us up and now they are ready to cut loose, the article from the failed rugby writer in the Indo was amusing, just waiting to stick the knife into Kildare, as I have said previously they have the epitaph already written.

We will probably get to read it next week but CorK are favourites and are a superb team so it will be hard to justify Kildare losing as an epic failure.

What article was this?

It's amusing that Donegal seem to have taken over the mantle of media darlings now after the ridiculous amount of bad press they got last year. Kildare were being given the big build up in the press last year and now we're public enemy number one. Some turnaround.

David Kelly is the failed rugby writer, was a soccer journalist, originally moved to rugby and is now on football, brutal at all 3.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/a-manager-can-lose-a-game-but-he-can-never-win-it-3182188.html

Maybe I'm paranoid but the tone really has shifted and the choice of language is so negative and an obvious agenda has risen

David Kelly would be a general purpose sports writer at the Indo, from what I can see. So if an Irish swimmer manages not to drown at the Olympics, say, Kelly is asked to write the why-oh-why piece on 50 metre pools.

As for agendas, the Indo always has an agenda. The Indo is terrified of being blown away by the Mail so the way it's trying to counteract that is by being more spicy in its news coverage - actual news, as opposed to just sports. So there'll be a Croke Park Chokers piece for Mayo this week, because they reckon that'll sell more papers in my own little part of Heaven.

The policy is cutting off their nose to spite their face if you ask me, because news is no longer news after its been spun. So while they might sell more papers this week, on the did-you-see-what-this-bastard-wrote theory, their overall sales will go down, because people will realise they're being spun as opposed to being told the news. But that penny hasn't dropped yet, so prepare to be pissed off for a while yet with them.

David Kelly got a bad time from Eddie O'Sullivan a few years ago, when his craven colleagues failed to back him for daring to question Eddie's divinity. I'd have a lot of time for him because of that.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 29, 2012, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2012, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Kildare as Millwall I like it...

They build us up and now they are ready to cut loose, the article from the failed rugby writer in the Indo was amusing, just waiting to stick the knife into Kildare, as I have said previously they have the epitaph already written.

We will probably get to read it next week but CorK are favourites and are a superb team so it will be hard to justify Kildare losing as an epic failure.

What article was this?

It's amusing that Donegal seem to have taken over the mantle of media darlings now after the ridiculous amount of bad press they got last year. Kildare were being given the big build up in the press last year and now we're public enemy number one. Some turnaround.

David Kelly is the failed rugby writer, was a soccer journalist, originally moved to rugby and is now on football, brutal at all 3.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/a-manager-can-lose-a-game-but-he-can-never-win-it-3182188.html

Maybe I'm paranoid but the tone really has shifted and the choice of language is so negative and an obvious agenda has risen

David Kelly would be a general purpose sports writer at the Indo, from what I can see. So if an Irish swimmer manages not to drown at the Olympics, say, Kelly is asked to write the why-oh-why piece on 50 metre pools.

As for agendas, the Indo always has an agenda. The Indo is terrified of being blown away by the Mail so the way it's trying to counteract that is by being more spicy in its news coverage - actual news, as opposed to just sports. So there'll be a Croke Park Chokers piece for Mayo this week, because they reckon that'll sell more papers in my own little part of Heaven.

The policy is cutting off their nose to spite their face if you ask me, because news is no longer news after its been spun. So while they might sell more papers this week, on the did-you-see-what-this-b**tard-wrote theory, their overall sales will go down, because people will realise they're being spun as opposed to being told the news. But that penny hasn't dropped yet, so prepare to be pissed off for a while yet with them.

David Kelly got a bad time from Eddie O'Sullivan a few years ago, when his craven colleagues failed to back him for daring to question Eddie's divinity. I'd have a lot of time for him because of that.

Good point well made,  will give him some credit for O'Sullivan maybe he can do the same with Kidney.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
But we keep getting written off as contenders, so why are we been evaluated as contenders? It's mental while the balance last year was too positive it has now swung to the opposite end of the spectrum, it's really hard outside some forums and blogs to get objective decent analysis that makes you sit up and think yea that's a valid point, there is now a severe lack of constructive criticism in the national newspapers, it's all sound bites.

I mean for example there is a myth that Kildare scored with the last kick of the game against Limerick but there was actually another minute to play and Kildare had a chance to win it in normal time and probably should have as Leper had time and space but it's painfully obvious people are analyzing that game having only see 2 minutes on the Sunday game.

Anyhow really look forward to this game, we'll bring confidence into it, will be match sharper and can match Cork physically, I personally don't see much difference between either set of forwards, I certainly don't see a Colm Cooper or Declan O'Sullivan playing for Cork. Cork though will be physically fresher and in the last 20 minutes if it's tight can see Cork edging it especially as they won't lack for belief, something that Kildare unfortunately will lack something that a win will actually give us.

We're a young side still and the optimist thinks that promotion to Division 1, a good performance in the AIQF and it won't have been a bad year especially after the SJ saga and a year in Division 1 playing the top sides could really see us push on next year..

Sure that's GAA journalism and analysis for you. Kildare will run all day but lack natural forwards, Meath are never beaten, Mayo are mentally weak etc. Lazy stereotypes and cliches are par for the course.

Chances are that most pundits commenting on the Limerick match saw nothing of it but the two or three minutes that the Sunday Game gave to it. While Limerick did indeed frustrate Kildare for long periods, we were fairly dominant in the last twenty minutes of that match and I think Limerick failed to score in that period. We cut the gap to one with about ten minutes left and had a good few chances to level it before we did. Watching the Sunday Game you'd get the impression that it was the other way around and that it was Kildare that were living off scraps in that period. Looking back we probably should have closed that match out with the amount of ball we had in the last twenty minutes but the extra time looks like it might stand to us.

The first twenty minutes against Cork are going to be vital. This is only their third game this year and it is our sixth. We should be able to get to the pitch of the game a lot quicker and hopefully they will be rusty. Get a run on them early on and maybe a goal in the first half and we're capable of turning them over. It's a big ask and I suspect we'll fall just short again but Kildare have yet to bow out tamely under McGeeney.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

grounded

Really looking forward to this one. Kildare will match them physically and should have the defensive wherewithall to close down Cork's key attackers. Mayo matched Cork's physicality last year and closed up their running channels, Cork had no plan B. Cork do have some very talented  players back from injury but Kildare will give them their fill of it.

Dinny Breen

Kildare v Cork Sunday Croke Park at 2 pm

Delighted with that extra recovery time vital..
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Donegal v Kerry on at 4pm.

Excellent.
#newbridgeornowhere

mup

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
But we keep getting written off as contenders, so why are we been evaluated as contenders? It's mental while the balance last year was too positive it has now swung to the opposite end of the spectrum, it's really hard outside some forums and blogs to get objective decent analysis that makes you sit up and think yea that's a valid point, there is now a severe lack of constructive criticism in the national newspapers, it's all sound bites.

I mean for example there is a myth that Kildare scored with the last kick of the game against Limerick but there was actually another minute to play and Kildare had a chance to win it in normal time and probably should have as Leper had time and space but it's painfully obvious people are analyzing that game having only see 2 minutes on the Sunday game.

Anyhow really look forward to this game, we'll bring confidence into it, will be match sharper and can match Cork physically, I personally don't see much difference between either set of forwards, I certainly don't see a Colm Cooper or Declan O'Sullivan playing for Cork. Cork though will be physically fresher and in the last 20 minutes if it's tight can see Cork edging it especially as they won't lack for belief, something that Kildare unfortunately will lack something that a win will actually give us.

We're a young side still and the optimist thinks that promotion to Division 1, a good performance in the AIQF and it won't have been a bad year especially after the SJ saga and a year in Division 1 playing the top sides could really see us push on next year..

Good post.

Interesting that you don't see much difference between both sets of forwards. I would have thought that the Cork forwards would be superior to ours but maybe I'm been taken in my all this media talk. Why do you think there isn't much of a difference?

I think if we get a run on their defence they could have problems. Their half back line are very good offensively but I thinnk they are dodgly enough when it comes to defending.

Having said that I don't think we'll have enough. Yes we're due a good game but Cork will probably just do enough win. I'd never be happier to be wrong in my life. It's gonna make for an interesting couple of weeks down here in the Southern Capital.

Dinny Breen

It's just my own opinion and they rarely post big tallies from play, when they beat Down in 2010 they only scored 7 points from play, last year against Mayo 1-4 and even Kerry this it was unremarkable 12 points. Like Kildare they have a good spread of scorers and like Kildare their midfield and half-backs chip in a lot of scores. Occasionally they will run riot but most top 8 sides can just look at Kildare against Cavan.

Cork's forwards are good players and work very well as a unit and aren't physically intimidated they do however have the edge with Paddy Kelly who is an excellent play maker and the direct running of Kerrigan and O'Neill can cause havoc. So how we set defensively will be interesting and also how they cope with O'Connor could be critical, they tend to go man to man and I've only seen O'Connor really struggle when teams double up on him and drop a sweeper just in front of him.

I think this game will be won on the sidelines and tactically will be very interesting but very excited and hoping we get a performance.
#newbridgeornowhere

squire_in_navy_slacks

Aidan Walsh and Paddy Kelly are the men the kildare buckos should really keep there eyes on  ;)......

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 09:10:53 PM
It's just my own opinion and they rarely post big tallies from play, when they beat Down in 2010 they only scored 7 points from play, last year against Mayo 1-4 and even Kerry this it was unremarkable 12 points. Like Kildare they have a good spread of scorers and like Kildare their midfield and half-backs chip in a lot of scores. Occasionally they will run riot but most top 8 sides can just look at Kildare against Cavan.

Interesting stats Dinny. To beat them I think ye're gonna have to take the Mayo approach from last year and just drive at them relentlessly. However I think that match will still be fresh in their memory and they'll obviously be the fresher team. Will the break be too long though is the question. I expect a whirlwind start from them to compensate for this and get the break out of their system, good thing your backs are in form. Hope its tight (for us neutrals).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteCork 2-11 Kildare 1-11

Cork had to endure a frantic finish before surviving to book their place in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

Manager Conor Counihan will be concerned at the manner in which his side left themselves hanging on precariously in a game they dominated for long spells.

The Munster champions led by 2-05 to 0-05 at the break, but Kildare were awarded two second half penalties, one of which was missed, and the Lilywhites, who trailed by nine points at one stage, were thwarted in their efforts to grab an equalising goal.

Kildare full-back Kevin O'Neill curbed the aerial threat of Michael Cussen in the early stages, but Cork found that it paid to persist with the booming delivery to the front line, for in John Hayes they had anther supreme ball-winner and clinical finisher.

Hayes fetched from Donnacha O'Connor's punt to drill home an exquisite 11th minute goal, and when Cussen finally got the measure of his marker to punch home a James Masters cross five minutes later, the Rebels led by 2-03 to 0-00.

On 17 minutes, Kieran McGeeney decided it was time to perform surgery on his mis-firing side with a double substitution, and by the 26th minute, he had called ashore four of his starting line-up.

Eamon Callaghan finally notched the opening Lilywhite score in the 20th minute, and as Cork allowed the tempo to slip, the Leinster men tagged on a few more points through Alan Smith, John Doyle and a superb Dermot Earley effort.

The Munster champions led by 2-05 to 0-05 at the break, and turned the screw early in the second half with delightful scores from Hayes, Pearse O'Neill and Cussen.

Kildare did have their moments, the brightest of which saw them win a 48th minute penalty when Diarmuid Duggan hauled down Alan Smith, but Ronan Sweeney's poor kick was comfortably saved by Alan Quirke.

Another goal chance was missed when Smith was sent through by James Kavanagh, but Anthony Lynch denied the corner-forward with a superb block.

They pulled back scores through Smith and Doyle, and Cork went 17 minutes without scoring, before Hayes got them back on track.

But there was to be more penalty drama at the other end when Dermot Earley was upended and Doyle netted the resultant penalty in the final minute of normal time.

Cork were subjected to a pounding in the closing moments as Kildare went for a goal that would have tied the game up, but their brave effort ended when Earley had a shot charged down.

Cork: A Quirke, D Duggan, D Kavanagh, A Lynch, B O'Regan, G Spillane, K O'Connor, P O'Neill (0-2), A O'Connor, D O'Connor, J Masters (0-1), S O'Brien, D Goulding (0-3, 1f), M Cussen (1-2), J Hayes (1-3).

Subs: M Shields for Kavanagh, J Miskella for O'Regan, Fintan Goold for D O'Connor, P Kelly for A O'Connor, N O'Leary for Duggan.

Kildare: E Murphy, M O'Flaherty, K O'Neill, A McLoughlin, E Bolton, M Foley, M Scanlon, K Brennan, D Earley (0-1), J Kavanagh, P O'Neill, E Callaghan (0-1), A Smith (0-3), K Donnelly, J Doyle (1-5, 1-0 pen, 4 f).

Subs: G White for Scanlon, D Flynn for Brennan, M Conway (0-1, f) for O'Neill, R Sweeney for Donnelly, A Rainbow for Callaghan.

Referee: P McEnaney (Monaghan).

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0810/236114-cork_kildare/

15 of the 20 Kildare players used in the corresponding fixture back in 2008 still involved in the panel. 7 of those likely to start on Sunday I'd guess - Doyle, Foley, Bolton, Kavanagh, Smith, Conway and MOF.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 30, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2012, 09:10:53 PM

Interesting stats Dinny. To beat them I think ye're gonna have to take the Mayo approach from last year and just drive at them relentlessly. However I think that match will still be fresh in their memory and they'll obviously be the fresher team. Will the break be too long though is the question. I expect a whirlwind start from them to compensate for this and get the break out of their system, good thing your backs are in form. Hope its tight (for us neutrals).

If it's tight though it will suit Cork, Loneshark posted up interesting stats in his Starbets column before the Sligo game in which showed Kildare tend to either blow you away or lose by a tight margin, they don't win tight games. Maybe the Limerick game could  be the catalyst for a new Kildare.

Kildare started with high intensity on Saturday evening, if the replicate that and Cork try the same, the first 20 minutes on Sunday could be some of the best football this summer.

#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Kildare will run all day but lack natural forwards.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 05:02:44 PM

Galway can't run 15mins and lack any forwards. You should be more concerned about that rather than wumming Kildare, Kerry and Mayo folk.

CorkMan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 05:02:44 PM

Galway can't run 15mins and lack any forwards. You should be more concerned about that rather than wumming Kildare, Kerry and Mayo folk.

He's right, though.