Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie d

Quote from: Hashtag on July 24, 2012, 10:08:25 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 24, 2012, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2012, 08:18:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2012, 06:05:08 PM
Quote from: drici on July 23, 2012, 02:23:58 PM

Nice moment. In what other sport in the world would you see something like this?

Almost all of them. Lets not get carried away

Yeah, it's a regular occurrence to see Alex Ferguson on the pitch at Anfield signing autographs for Liverpool fans and let's not forget the wonderful sight of Martin Johnson signing autographs in Croke Park for throngs of Irish fans or Bill Belchevik on the pitch at MetLife stadium signing autographs for New York giants fans.

None of these have ever happened. Your source is incorrect.

i believe it was sarcasm, as haranguerers post was stupid

yellowcard

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2012, 09:03:13 AM
Translated:

I was pissed at the time, sorry.

If not, do we never take anything he says or writes again seriously?

Personally I don't take his articles too seriously anyway although I have no doubt a lot of people do. They are designed to provoke debate by rubbing people up the wrong way. I'll bet he has an underlying dislike for Tyrone and seen this as his way of firing Kerry up. Judging by Galvins hysterical interview and the cringeworthy Kerry reaction to a 3rd round qualifier victory it seemed to have the desired effect.

I know a lot of people don't like Brolly but personally I have to admit that when I buy the Gaelic Life it's the first article I read and I know a lot of people that do the same. It sells copies and Brolly knows this.

Nally Stand

Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2012, 11:53:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2012, 09:03:13 AM
Translated:

I was pissed at the time, sorry.

If not, do we never take anything he says or writes again seriously?

Personally I don't take his articles too seriously anyway although I have no doubt a lot of people do. They are designed to provoke debate by rubbing people up the wrong way. I'll bet he has an underlying dislike for Tyrone and seen this as his way of firing Kerry up. Judging by Galvins hysterical interview and the cringeworthy Kerry reaction to a 3rd round qualifier victory it seemed to have the desired effect.

I know a lot of people don't like Brolly but personally I have to admit that when I buy the Gaelic Life it's the first article I read and I know a lot of people that do the same. It sells copies and Brolly knows this.

+1

And if anyone thinks it wasn't a motivational factor for the Kerry lads and that Brolly is deluded in thinking it was; then I reckon they are the deluded ones!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Keane

Quote from: rrhf on July 24, 2012, 09:38:34 AM
Astonishing. When you see that post match interview with Galvin, theres a deep hurt and huge honesty about it.  I have nothing but admiration for Galvin, but should they have been in that situation before that.  I really think the players deserve better.  How can we be so flippant if we contribute to that? Had Kerry been beaten these guys would have taken these regrets to their grave, did they deserve the humiliation heaped on them despite their contribution and achievements in the past?  We had an atmosphere before that game that wasnt normal in the GAA, it was highly aggressive, Joe Brolly of all people should know the significance of words and the effects they can have on people.  As for the players these are our greatest asset, our sportspeople and our fellow GAA members.  Shame..     

Great post.

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: applemad on July 24, 2012, 11:30:08 AM
Kerry were most definetly fired up for this game and no wonder. It reminded me of a certain league game when Armagh played Tyrone in Omagh in 2003. A lot of hatred and bile around that day. I remember well Sean Kavanagh and Philip Jordan jumping up on the fence after the game and shaking their fists at the crowd in exuberance after their win.. And to be fair Im sure Armagh teams have reacted in similar fashion at times. Kerry had a mountain of pent -up frustration
1  The huge media questioning of Kerry's ability to beat teams in a tight finish . Armagh 02 Tyrone 03 Tyrone 05 tyrone 08 dublin 11.
2  Lack of balls when it mattered.
3 The fall out from the Derrytresk affair
4 Allegedly looking segregation at the Crokes Cross match.
5 Articles like Brolly's picking on certain Kerry individuals calling them chokers
When all this is taking into consideration ,the celebrations after the match nearly seemed mild. As for Kerry having had their day and wont go further ,seems to me like some posters are on a different planet. They are for me as a northerner, a fabulous team who play the game with great style. I have great admiration for them as I had for Tyrone in the last decade. I am so looking forward to a possible clash between Kerry and Donegal.

This did not happen. Replace the two players mentioned with a young Pascal McConnell and you may be somewhere near the truth. In short, quit talking brown.

Applesisapples

Ahhh Moortown where have you been. That was a good post the essence of which is that competitive sport brings out those types of emotion when you conquer a gallant foe or achieve your dream. It is played out on every  GAA field in the country at one time or another. To my mind it was a compliment to a once great Tyrone team from a Kerry team that saw them as the standard. Whatever about the cynicism Kerry are great exponents of the game. I personally don't like the in your face antics of a Ricey or Donaghy but to celebrate this victory was natural. Perhaps a feeling alien to the lough shore.

applemad

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on July 24, 2012, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: applemad on July 24, 2012, 11:30:08 AM
Kerry were most definetly fired up for this game and no wonder. It reminded me of a certain league game when Armagh played Tyrone in Omagh in 2003. A lot of hatred and bile around that day. I remember well Sean Kavanagh and Philip Jordan jumping up on the fence after the game and shaking their fists at the crowd in exuberance after their win.. And to be fair Im sure Armagh teams have reacted in similar fashion at times. Kerry had a mountain of pent -up frustration
1  The huge media questioning of Kerry's ability to beat teams in a tight finish . Armagh 02 Tyrone 03 Tyrone 05 tyrone 08 dublin 11.
2  Lack of balls when it mattered.
3 The fall out from the Derrytresk affair
4 Allegedly looking segregation at the Crokes Cross match.
5 Articles like Brolly's picking on certain Kerry individuals calling them chokers
When all this is taking into consideration ,the celebrations after the match nearly seemed mild. As for Kerry having had their day and wont go further ,seems to me like some posters are on a different planet. They are for me as a northerner, a fabulous team who play the game with great style. I have great admiration for them as I had for Tyrone in the last decade. I am so looking forward to a possible clash between Kerry and Donegal.

This did not happen. Replace the two players mentioned with a young Pascal McConnell and you may be somewhere near the truth. In short, quit talking brown.
[/quote] It did happen  right in front of me   on the 50 yd line at the terrace side. i was standing watching Philip jordan and i know him very well . I would also assume, Mr moortown spuds, It was a group of supporters around me who he was clenching his fist to. As a matter of fact I slag him about it .  And when Mr spuds when you are a close to it as I was start getting your facts right. Talking Brown works both ways.

Bonkers09

For the record, Conor Clarke is 20. One year left at U21

blanketattack

One positive about David Coldrick is that when he felt players had minor injuries, possibly to waste time/stop momentum he let play go on and just called the physio on to treat the player on the pitch. Likewise for goalies wanting to tie their laces or other delaying tactics, they were told to kick out the ball.
This should be implemented in every match.

wherefromreferee?

There was a young Tyrone minor in front of me in the shops last night.  His initials were on his training top.  On the collar, there seemed to be a hashtag - looked like #nsu

Could be wrong - but anybody know what that's about?

In your Endo!

armaghniac

Quote#nsu

he plans to attend the famous North Strabane University?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: blanketattack on July 24, 2012, 04:18:39 PM
One positive about David Coldrick is that when he felt players had minor injuries, possibly to waste time/stop momentum he let play go on and just called the physio on to treat the player on the pitch. Likewise for goalies wanting to tie their laces or other delaying tactics, they were told to kick out the ball.

Agreed, with the only proviso being that referees were capable of consistently implementing the most basic of rules.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2012, 06:09:21 PM
Quote#nsu

he plans to attend the famous North Strabane University?

Nincom salvatori uncasis.   Has been used by many great sports teams in the past.

saffron sam2

Quote from: blanketattack on July 24, 2012, 04:18:39 PM

He only seemed to do that when it was a Tyrone man "injured" or McConnell wasting time with the kick outs.

He wouldn't have been as quick to do that if Kerry were trying to stop momentum being built up.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rrhf

Do you always act the champion for the great defeated. ?