Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2012, 08:26:16 PM
BTW who was the well known Ulster coach that M McHugh on BBC alleged had helped the J O'Connor and the Kerry squad at a special 3 hour session in Dublin midweek before they went out and hammered Tyrone?

Seems strange that the same person could not have been brought/bought to Kerry to do the same job unless he was otherwise fully engaged in the Dublin area and unavailable to travel.

It was like 1601 all over again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

How many teams de ye reckon mcgeeney can train lads ffs?  ::)

ONeill

Kerry Mayo final then.

catchandkick

Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2012, 06:05:08 PM
Quote from: drici on July 23, 2012, 02:23:58 PM

Nice moment. In what other sport in the world would you see something like this?

Disappointed with his post-match harping on about the referee. Tyrone were soundly beaten by Kerry, yet I don't think he made any comments giving Kerry credit for the win or even saying Tyrone fell flat on the day. Entire post-match comments I've seen related to a general discourse on refereeing at inter county level. It would be understandable if there was a point or two in the difference but it's a bit ludicrous when Kerry won by ten. The referee did not affect the outcome of the game in any way.

Contrast that with the good grace with which James McCartan spoke about Donegal after Down were beaten by a similar margin yesterday.

A bit petty from Mickey Harte on this occasion.

tyssam5

Was hoping for us to run Kerry close and that it would be a good development step for the younger players. Didn't work out that way.

I suppose it's a compliment that Kerry folk, players and fans alike got so up for a qualifier game. Glad to give them that enjoyment after taking their sweets so many times. It reminded me of league games against Kerry when I was a young boy, about 1980 or so in Omagh, We got a win one year and I was super excited.

sheamy

Brolly knew his strong words would elicit a reaction in Kerry.

"I was smiling to myself as I finished it because I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be material for the inside of Kerry's dressing room door last Saturday night.
"I have enjoyed the response — I have to have my fun as well. Where am I supposed to get my kicks?

"I'll have to write something for their dressing room door again!"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brolly-defiant-on-cooper-201786.html

spuds

Quote from: sheamy on July 24, 2012, 08:29:25 AM
Brolly knew his strong words would elicit a reaction in Kerry.

"I was smiling to myself as I finished it because I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be material for the inside of Kerry's dressing room door last Saturday night.
"I have enjoyed the response — I have to have my fun as well. Where am I supposed to get my kicks?

"I'll have to write something for their dressing room door again!"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brolly-defiant-on-cooper-201786.html
So, I thought he got it completely wrong but he was only jesting to wind up Kerry. He really is as important as he believes.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

DuffleKing

No shortage of belief of his own importance and credibility. I don't know anyone who takes him seriously, let alone a county team at that level

ONeill

Translated:

I was pissed at the time, sorry.

If not, do we never take anything he says or writes again seriously?

rrhf

Astonishing. When you see that post match interview with Galvin, theres a deep hurt and huge honesty about it.  I have nothing but admiration for Galvin, but should they have been in that situation before that.  I really think the players deserve better.  How can we be so flippant if we contribute to that? Had Kerry been beaten these guys would have taken these regrets to their grave, did they deserve the humiliation heaped on them despite their contribution and achievements in the past?  We had an atmosphere before that game that wasnt normal in the GAA, it was highly aggressive, Joe Brolly of all people should know the significance of words and the effects they can have on people.  As for the players these are our greatest asset, our sportspeople and our fellow GAA members.  Shame..       

blanketattack

Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

Nice moment. In what other sport in the world would you see something like this?

Almost all of them. Lets not get carried away

Yeah, it's a regular occurrence to see Alex Ferguson on the pitch at Anfield signing autographs for Liverpool fans and let's not forget the wonderful sight of Martin Johnson signing autographs in Croke Park for throngs of Irish fans or Bill Belchevik on the pitch at MetLife stadium signing autographs for New York giants fans.

Hashtag

Quote from: blanketattack on July 24, 2012, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

Almost all of them. Lets not get carried away

Yeah, it's a regular occurrence to see Alex Ferguson on the pitch at Anfield signing autographs for Liverpool fans and let's not forget the wonderful sight of Martin Johnson signing autographs in Croke Park for throngs of Irish fans or Bill Belchevik on the pitch at MetLife stadium signing autographs for New York giants fans.

None of these have ever happened. Your source is incorrect.

screenexile

I see Heaney has give the beloved Kerry a going over in the Irish News!! That should keep all you Tyronies happy who were lamenting the media bias.

He did temper it though by saying they have been forced into their new tactics because of Tyrone :D

ONeill

He was also wrong about the Canavan/McCarthy incident and Gooch's lovely freckles. Eff me. A Derryman saying another man has nice ginger freckles.

applemad

Kerry were most definetly fired up for this game and no wonder. It reminded me of a certain league game when Armagh played Tyrone in Omagh in 2003. A lot of hatred and bile around that day. I remember well Sean Kavanagh and Philip Jordan jumping up on the fence after the game and shaking their fists at the crowd in exuberance after their win.. And to be fair Im sure Armagh teams have reacted in similar fashion at times. Kerry had a mountain of pent -up frustration
1  The huge media questioning of Kerry's ability to beat teams in a tight finish . Armagh 02 Tyrone 03 Tyrone 05 tyrone 08 dublin 11.
2  Lack of balls when it mattered.
3 The fall out from the Derrytresk affair
4 Allegedly looking segregation at the Crokes Cross match.
5 Articles like Brolly's picking on certain Kerry individuals calling them chokers
When all this is taking into consideration ,the celebrations after the match nearly seemed mild. As for Kerry having had their day and wont go further ,seems to me like some posters are on a different planet. They are for me as a northerner, a fabulous team who play the game with great style. I have great admiration for them as I had for Tyrone in the last decade. I am so looking forward to a possible clash between Kerry and Donegal.