Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on July 23, 2012, 12:44:09 PM
Coldrick deserves some criticism for poor decision-making, but within the confines of fair comment, taking into account the constraints of the job, etc. However, few of the partisans here seems prepared to dish out the more severe criticism due to the majority of players on both sides actively setting out to make his job next to impossible by trying to con him and cheat each other, diving, mouthing, getting in his face at every opportunity and generally behaving like a crowd of boozed-up teenagers outside the chipper on a Saturday night. The problem with that game was not the behaviour of the referee but that of the players.

Don't agree at all. Coldrick allowed an extremely cynical game to develop by not punishing episodes of gamesmanship. He turned a blind eye to umpteen incidents and allowed a bitty game to develop. An early indication that he was not going to take any crap like that as a good ref would may have left us with a feast. He had a poor game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Exactly - Meath have had much too much a say in Tyrone disappointments over the years. 

Whishtup

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg]http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg]http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg

Things like this early on set the tone for the day.  The GAA crowd are an easily influenced one.  Only in June was Brolly blasted for his incorrect attack on Tyrone against Armagh-that match was played in a sportsmanlike manner, as were the Donegal and Roscommon matches, as were most if not all of the league games. 
     'Tyrone being out-Tyroned'  is the catch-phrase of the moment-even the Sunday game played clips from 9 years ago and tried to compare them to Kerry (the Kerry clips lame comparisons to that famous match).  Pathetic bowing to the sensationalist clap-trap that totally disregards the discipline achieved by many of the new and old Tyrone faces over this past few years.  Have hardly heard Ricey or Gormley mentioned until this game.  Think for yourselves.

nrico2006

Quote from: Whishtup on July 23, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg]http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg]http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF874/666712.jpg

Things like this early on set the tone for the day.  The GAA crowd are an easily influenced one.  Only in June was Brolly blasted for his incorrect attack on Tyrone against Armagh-that match was played in a sportsmanlike manner, as were the Donegal and Roscommon matches, as were most if not all of the league games. 
     'Tyrone being out-Tyroned'  is the catch-phrase of the moment-even the Sunday game played clips from 9 years ago and tried to compare them to Kerry (the Kerry clips lame comparisons to that famous match).  Pathetic bowing to the sensationalist clap-trap that totally disregards the discipline achieved by many of the new and old Tyrone faces over this past few years.  Have hardly heard Ricey or Gormley mentioned until this game.  Think for yourselves.

Tyrone bing out-Tyroned is the most annoying, lazy analysis I have heard and has been going about a few years now but it just takes one tube in a studio to say it and the rest of the analysts will use it flat out for the rest of the show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

What it means to me is that Tyrone can have no justifiable complaints about being out-Tyroned in a game.
But obviously Tyrone did not win games in the past, just based on their Tyroning ability.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2012, 01:21:24 PM
Coldrick deserves some criticism for poor decision-making, but within the confines of fair comment, taking into account the constraints of the job, etc. However, few of the partisans here seems prepared to dish out the more severe criticism due to the majority of players on both sides actively setting out to make his job next to impossible by trying to con him and cheat each other, diving, mouthing, getting in his face at every opportunity and generally behaving like a crowd of boozed-up teenagers outside the chipper on a Saturday night. The problem with that game was not the behaviour of the referee but that of the players.

Don't agree at all. Coldrick allowed an extremely cynical game to develop by not punishing episodes of gamesmanship. He turned a blind eye to umpteen incidents and allowed a bitty game to develop. An early indication that he was not going to take any crap like that as a good ref would may have left us with a feast. He had a poor game.

The first sentence of my post made the point that seems to be your conclusion.  "Look what he let us do" is no reasonable refuge for a group of adults, many of whom probably fancy themselves as role models. Even if we allow your proposition that it's the referee's fault if players refuse to behave themselves, what would you have had him do other than hand out the half-dozen or so cards he issued in the first fifteen minutes or thereabouts? In the absence of a red card offence, I don't think he had any other weapons in his armoury than the naughty step sanction that is the yellow card.

drici

J OGorman

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2012, 01:21:24 PM

so he should have shown even more yellow cards early on? this would have stopped more players intent on acting the maggot from doing so. you're damned if you do......

AQMP

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 23, 2012, 01:13:21 PM

Well said Hardy. People are too quick to slate referees and absolve the players on the field for their behaviour. Players need to take responsibility for their own actions. McGuigan's sending off was harsh but what was he playing at charging into O'Sullivan anyway? Tyrone badly needed scores at that stage and any flashpoints were just going to waste time and play into Kerry's hands. Such an experienced player should have had more cop on. He should have been pulling Tyrone players out of any messing and trying to refocus them to get up the field and launch a comeback.

Footballers around the country could learn a lot from their hurling counterparts. Referees in hurling do let a lot go but it's a rarity to see a hurler going down easily and trying to con a referee. There were players on both sides last Saturday who are model sportsmen and are a credit to their respective counties. I'm thinking of the likes of Marc Ó Sé and Steven O'Neill. Guys who just go out and get on with the game. No diving, no mouthing and no whinging when someone else gives them hard belt. It's a pity some of their colleagues don't follow their example and not engage in some of the pointless unsporting behaviour that only serves to fire up their opponents. Why for example did Conor Gormley feel the need to drive the ball into Tomás Ó Sé's ribs after the Tyrone goal? If players are going to engage in that sort of nonsense then don't blame the referee when the inevitable flashpoints and sendings off occur.

I don't think Coldrick was particularly a factor in the Kerry win but he had a poor game.  It would be great if all 30 players played within the rules all the time.  But they don't and that is why a referee is required.  A referee is not responsible for the behaviour of players but he is responsible for dealing with that behaviour.  To take just one incident, it was not Coldrick's fault that Curtin elbowed Cavanagh after the play has stopped but it was his fault that Curtin was not given the line as the rules/laws/guidance demand.

ONeill

He handed out yellows like confetti to some offences that were a reactIon to an initial indiscretion being ignored. That turned the game into a mess. 3 supercharged Tyrone-Kerry affairs were handled admirably before - especially the 2008 final which had the capacity to explode. He yellowed lads when a chat was needed. He ignored cynical fouling. In my opinion, he got so much wrong which led to a poor spectacle. All refs set a standard of acceptability early on. His was all over the joint.

J OGorman

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2012, 02:26:16 PM
He handed out yellows like confetti to some offences that were a reactIon to an initial indiscretion being ignored. That turned the game into a mess. 3 supercharged Tyrone-Kerry affairs were handled admirably before - especially the 2008 final which had the capacity to explode. He yellowed lads when a chat was needed. He ignored cynical fouling. In my opinion, he got so much wrong which led to a poor spectacle. All refs set a standard of acceptability early on. His was all over the joint.

so Gormley, McMenamin for starters should have been shown the line? The Kerry sub should have been shown the line late on for the forearm smash. Where would that have left Tyrone in the grand scheme of things? Look, for the last decade Tyrone have been right up there in regards sledging, diving, cynicism etc...Kerry matched them in all departments on Sat, ie out Tyroned Tyrone (!). If blame needs a home, the Tyrone players playing outside the rules are as much to blame as Coldrick. Just take the defeat and move on

ONeill

I've never indicated Kerry were the aggressors. Nothing to do with taking defeats. I have no gripes with the result whatsoever. But Coldrick typifies the ineptitude that blights football. And he's from Meath.

rrhf

By the way the nasty, sometimes, untruthful and disrespectful stuff written about players and teams before games heightens the tensions within the game. This helped  create an artificial level of animosity and aggression, and helped stir the crowd to be way "too up" for the game.  I believe negative hype which we seen had limited grounding the week before for Seanie Js return to Cavan.  For all intense purposes we are all listening and going with it.  It really is influencing us and not in the best way.     

Fear ón Srath Bán

My issue with Coldrick is that he is simply out of his depth - he forgets basic rules of the game (such as steps, throw-balls, charging, proportionate punishments, etc.) with a relentless inconsistent regularity. This then inevitably leads to players' frustrations, which then descends into the kind of spectacle we witnessed on Saturday last.

He was not, however, the reason why we lost; Kerry played the better football and were worthy winners. Work to be done, and plenty of it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Keane

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2012, 01:20:33 PMI'm the opposite. I actually love to see players revelling in victory. There's too much emphasis on 'bigger picture' bullshit and codology in modern day GAA and it's refreshing to see players elated with a single win.

One of the most depressing sights I've ever witnessed in Gaelic Football was the reaction of Cork's players when the final whistle went, after a tremendous comeback won them the National League final last year. No cheers, no smiling, no celebrations. It was like a wake.

Hopefully Kerry's celebratory style will begin the antidote to this lack of happiness.

Best post in the thread - why don't people like fun anymore?