Cavan v Kildare

Started by Dinny Breen, July 02, 2012, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Can I just ask for some sort of sense on this thread and no personal abuse directed towards any player? Is that too much to ask?
#newbridgeornowhere

Tubberman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 08:45:29 AM
Can I just ask for some sort of sense on this thread and no personal abuse directed towards any player? Is that too much to ask?

I'd imagine so.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Dinny Breen

Coming from Kildare what would the best way in and I think we'll need a quick exit out of Breffni Park?
#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

Who's at home or is it neutral venue or is make the rules up as you go along.

LaurelEye

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 02, 2012, 08:48:57 AM
Who's at home or is it neutral venue or is make the rules up as you go along.

It's in Breffni.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Westside

In Breffni park. Bad draw for Cavan. Apart from the Johnston sideshow issue there will be very little of interest in this game, Kildare are miles ahead of us and we could be facing a hammering here.

Also, that had to be a fix.

Declan

Now what were the odds on that game coming out of the draw ;)

LeoMc

Quote from: Declan on July 02, 2012, 08:55:17 AM
Now what were the odds on that game coming out of the draw ;)
15/1.

Donnellys Hollow

At least one man will save on petrol. Great opportunity for Cavan to take the scalp they left behind in 2008 when Kavanagh got Kildare out of jail in the last minute. We've angered the footballing gods and this could well be a fitting punishment.

Hopefully we'll see a few more of the young players given an opportunity but I doubt the manager is thinking long term now.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

I'd say the Examiner guys and TSG panelists all got a simultaneous erection, gives them copy for another week..
#newbridgeornowhere

trasna man

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 02, 2012, 08:57:56 AM
At least one man will save on petrol. Great opportunity for Cavan to take the scalp they left behind in 2008 when Kavanagh got Kildare out of jail in the last minute. We've angered the footballing gods and this could well be a fitting punishment.

Hopefully we'll see a few more of the young players given an opportunity but I doubt the manager is thinking long term now.
c.c.c.c.c must be delighted with that draw

Dinny Breen

What manager can truly think long term? In fairness to McGeeney he has put in the long term structures at a senior level but the future planning player wise is what the development squads are about. We were a shambles 5 years ago but with the under-age work and McGeeney's work we will be in a much better position than when he started, I think he has done a great job but he needs to move on and while I think it's not the time to discuss it but Glen has to be the next Kildare manager.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 09:04:17 AM

What manager can truly think long term? In fairness to McGeeney he has put in the long term structures at a senior level but the future planning player wise is what the development squads are about. We were a shambles 5 years ago but with the under-age work and McGeeney's work we will be in a much better position than when he started, I think he has done a great job but he needs to move on and while I think it's not the time to discuss it but Glen has to be the next Kildare manager.

I agree he has made progress in every year up until this year. It's easy to say after yesterday, but did we deserve to win the league? Poor performances against Tyrone and Monaghan, and somewhat fortunate against Meath and Galway. That leaves wins over Derry, Louth and Westmeath, two of which are already out for the year.

I posted after the Donegal match last year that maybe the thing was in danger of going a bit stale and looking at it yesterday I suspect this is the case. Some lads (great servants might I add) just looked completely flat yesterday and when we turned to the bench it was the same old faces bar Fogarty. I'd understand if McGeeney stays loyal to the old guard but I think some new blood is needed to try and kick start the thing. Fogarty and Eoin Doyle should start the next day as should Dowling if fit. I'd also hope Kevin Feely is sounded out again and maybe even someone like Daniel Flynn should be looked at. I know these guys are very raw and far from the finished article but we need some players who aren't stuck to the ground. Look at some of the names who were Meath's best performers yesterday and they are players who were consistently beaten by Kildare teams at underage level recently.

Maybe it's premature to say this and I'm loathe to criticise players who have given so much enjoyment in the past but a few lads were just left behind there yesterday. The hunger wasn't there. It's possible that it was just have been a complete systems failure on the day or maybe the whole farce on Saturday in Clane served as a distraction. Whatever the reasons for yesterday's defeat, it's hard to be anyway confident facing into the qualifiers.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

LilySavage

'I'd say the Examiner guys and TSG panelists all got a simultaneous erection, gives them copy for another week..'

HAHA Brilliant. Cant see SJ playing in this game, won't be surprised if he picks up a 'knock' in training next week.

Kildare to win but after that sh1t yesterday, who knows!