Cavan v Kildare

Started by Dinny Breen, July 02, 2012, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Cheers CH, is that you LB have you changed names?

Glenn played his last game in 2006, apart from Early and JD Glenn wouldn't be that friendly with any of the other players. Kildare have actually a very young side and Glenn managed a good few of them to an AI u/21 final.

He has cut his teeth well with Longford indeed.

Kildare already have one very important managerial appointment to make for the u21 job and it should made in-conjunction with the senior job which is inevitable in it;s coming imho.
#newbridgeornowhere

camanchero

yep - its me Dinny !
would have thought he played along with roli and a couple more on the squad !
its not an easy thing to do from first hand exp - and unless these lads retire, it wont be easy.
Not the worst problem in the world, but still makes things slightly awkward and difficult.

Dinny Breen

Sweeney would have been another one and McLoughlin, great servants but I'd imagine/expect/hope that they would be sent to stud.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Yeah Roli came onto the scene at the same time as JD. He'd have played with Foley, Callaghan, McLoughlin and Ennis too but they'd have all been only young lads when Glenn was winding down.

It's a pity that Glenn only got one year with the u21s. Our fall off at that age level at a time when there has been a noticable improvement in Kildare minor teams is puzzling. The Dublin team that won the u21 All Ireland this year were taken to a replay and extra time in a Leinster Final by Kildare as minors back in 2009 yet it appears that some of our lads have fallen away in the meantime.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Denn Forever

Just hope we don't do a Cork on it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

This isn't a great draw for Cavan at all...

Despite yesterday's result you'd have to figure Kildare are still in the Top 6 teams in the country  (Ya couldn't find too many to put ahead of them other than Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Tyrone and Donegal... and well Meath too I suppose)

Wanted to avoid them, Tyrone and Kerry in the draw.... Hard to know what way the inevitable media circus will have on the match and/or the two teams but I doubt Kingspan Breffni Park will have seen anything like it before
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

heffo

I think Kildare will win comfortably enough in the end, expect a media circus due to the other fella but aside from that, it should be straight forward enough.

camanchero

Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 02:55:44 PM
I think Kildare will win comfortably enough in the end, expect a media circus due to the other fella but aside from that, it should be straight forward enough.
I'd agree with that

mylestheslasher

The bigger the circus the better for Cavan. Terry is a shrewd man and this stuff is perfect ammunition for mind games. Unlike many, I think Cavan have a chance in this game. Yes on paper it looks like Kildare will be too powerful for us but I think we might have the passion and the point to prove to those that would label us the "weak" or "small" county that shed its "best" players to the big boys in Kildare. Well now our lads can send a message to the media and to Kildare. The pressure is all on Kildare and if Cavan get some fire in their bellies then why the hell can't we beat them.

western exile

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 02, 2012, 04:48:28 PM
The bigger the circus the better for Cavan. Terry is a shrewd man and this stuff is perfect ammunition for mind games. Unlike many, I think Cavan have a chance in this game. Yes on paper it looks like Kildare will be too powerful for us but I think we might have the passion and the point to prove to those that would label us the "weak" or "small" county that shed its "best" players to the big boys in Kildare. Well now our lads can send a message to the media and to Kildare. The pressure is all on Kildare and if Cavan get some fire in their bellies then why the hell can't we beat them.
+1

joemamas

Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 02:55:44 PM

Marty Morrissey has to be the ringmaster at this event.

boojangles

I didn't rate the Meath team (bar a few new additions) that beat Kildare yesterday so we could have a chance but our backs will have to improve something serious. Realistically we are 3 or 4 years behind this Kildare team in experience and physical development and bar Kerry we couldn't have been given a worse draw. The pressure is on Mc Geeney but the man is a winner and I fully expect his troops to come out and play like their lives depend on it. If Kildare lose this game four years hard work and millions of euro will have all been for nothing. I don't expect to see SJ play either.

macdanger2

How many of their recent U-21s have Cavan got playing??

tommysmith

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 02, 2012, 06:35:12 PM
How many of their recent U-21s have Cavan got playing??
All from last 3 years.

Started the game.
D Tighe
K Clarke
F Flanagan
D Givney -
N Smith -
G McKiernan -
N McDermott
J Brady

Subs that came on
K Tierney
J McLoughlin
D McKiernan
K Meehan

Wildweasel74

G you Kildare men are sore on your own team, maybe u should support Derry, kildare although terrible yesterday are still in with  a good shout this year, had Flynn not been sent off i think kildare would have won the game, the meath goal on tv last nite seemed to come from a foul not given, Kildare are in a better position than most this year with only cork and Dublin ahead of them and maybe donegal even with them. I see McGeeney getting the blame for the donegal lost last year, i thought that game hinged on a legally good goal been disallowed!! Kildare are dangerous but your team lined out wrong, johnny Doyle and kavanagh should be in the full forward line playing off o`connor, any breaks from the big full forward when to meath men as he had no support round him, play 2 out and out midfielders, O`connor should have been moved to midfield yesterday to counter the big men no 8, they will beat cavan easy enough i think as they be like a wounded lion, and johnston wouldn't be seen to the next game but you need him before the years out whether people are happy with it or not!! Before McGeeney i would have said kildare were on the slide, he turned it round, the fact that over the past 3-5 yrs there have been very good Tyrone, Kerry, Dublin and cork teams with maybe better footballers than kildare is the reason they have not won not McGeeney, Tyrone and Kerry have fallen away abit and kildare would edge them, Dublin and cork are ahead of them and it be all down to catching either on a bad day or a exceptional day for kildare, the year not over for kildare yet!!