Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

I definitely agree that Sligo GAA should be looking to bring Mark Park up to the minimum standard. I wouldn't have thought it would take too much work, its a decent ground, albeit not a particularly happy hunting ground for us in recent years. Sligo have been in numerous Connacht Finals in the last 15 years and it's a shame that they never get to host one. It would also solve this debate in an instant.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Some mad ideas being thrown out there - playing one Connacht final at 'home' in Roscommon and one away in Castlebar is not a fair or equitable arrangement. It doesn't matter how much money's been pumped into McHale Park. And we also have too many large stadiums in the province as it stands without creating another one. Pump the money into grassroots and not concrete if you want to be successful.

The situation as it stands makes perfect sense; if a little drive really is that much of a bother to so many Mayo fans maybe ye should tune in the old wireless instead.

spuds

Home and away fixtures are the way to go, think back to Castlebar and Tuam during the mid/ late 90s with the heaving crowds and banter, hard to beat. Great times and some cracking matches. Dragging us off to the Hyde would have taken away so much of the occasion. All the talk of Mayo winning in Tuam for first time in a few generations etc.
Mark. park is a fine ground that unfortunately does not have the capacity to hold Connacht finals so we are stuck with this agreement.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Galway: 250,541
Mayo: 133,552

Sligo: 65,393

Fin.

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 26, 2012, 10:12:50 AM
The arrogance of the Mayo crowd! Under the current rules Sligo are not allowed to have a home Connacht final, ever, yet ye think it is fair enough we should go to Castlebar for one to play ye in one. As I said earlier, I know we're only the token opposition for the day on yer march to September but try to stop and think for a minute.

Under the logic ye are using all Connacht championship games involving Mayo should be played in Castlebar. There's no way Salthill is necessary. Roscommon will be adequate.

Eh? We played in Mark. Park 2 years ago! It s our turn for a home match anyway! Just because ye re grounds are considered too small for a final should not mean we have to give up home finals as well even though we have the largest capacity in the province. Couldn t make that shit up! If it was Sligo s turn and they dug their heels in and played it in Mark Park with a capacity of say 15000 with tickets distributed through the clubs, that would be the way to go in my book. The only time we should play in Hyde or Salthill is when we play Ros or Galway, unless Sligo or Leitrim choose to play neutral instead of at home.

So quit trying to play the victim here because your not one. If anybody is suffering because of this arrangement its us.

sligoman2

Moysider
Dry your eyes for gods sake and get real.
Why are ye suffering?  The next non-final game between the two teams will be in Cbar, end of story.

Ye are huge favourites, ye knew the rules beforehand so stop behaving like a spoiled child and get the gps  ready for a trip to roscommon to cheer your beloved 1/4 favourites.

Any updates on injuries etc....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

moysider

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 26, 2012, 02:49:08 PM
Moysider
Why are ye suffering?  The next non-final game between the two teams will be in Cbar, end of story.

Ye are huge favourites, ye knew the rules beforehand so stop behaving like a spoiled child and get the gps  ready for a trip to roscommon to cheer your beloved 4/1 favourites.

Such shite. Nobody s crying but some of ye guys seem very anxious to avoid Castlebar for some reason.

A waste of what could be a great occasion bringing this game to Hyde or a non-football venue like Salthill. Why drag the odds into it anyway? You and every other Sligo fan are expecting to win this one. Let s get that clear anyway. Galway were clear favourites too remember. Bookie s odds are more a reflection of how idiots like to lose money than real football form.

Mano

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2012, 03:02:03 PM
Moysider

Ye are huge favourites, ye knew the rules beforehand so stop behaving like a spoiled child and get the gps  ready for a trip to roscommon to cheer your beloved 4/1 favourites.

Such shite. Nobody s crying but some of ye guys seem very anxious to avoid Castlebar for some reason.

A waste of what could be a great occasion bringing this game to Hyde or a non-football venue like Salthill. Why drag the odds into it anyway? You and every other Sligo fan are expecting to win this one. Let s get that clear anyway. Galway were clear favourites too remember. Bookie s odds are more a reflection of how idiots like to lose money than real football form.
You obviously never heard of this agreement within Connacht then - Roscommon and Galway had no problem adhering to it. Ye will get the next non final between the 2 teams at Castlebar anyway.

You know full well that home advantage is huge at Connacht championship level. Its something that Sligo cannot attain at Connacht final level. Now cop yourself on and accept the fact that the game will be in Roscommon.

magpie seanie

Mayo people wanting to bend the rules (the rules that everyone else adheres to) to suit themselves - who'd have thunk it?

moysider

Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2012, 03:18:28 PM
Moysider

You obviously never heard of this agreement within Connacht then - Roscommon and Galway had no problem adhering to it. Ye will get the next non final between the 2 teams at Castlebar anyway.

You know full well that home advantage is huge at Connacht championship level. Its something that Sligo cannot attain at Connacht final level. Now cop yourself on and accept the fact that the game will be in Roscommon.

Yawn. I kinda accepted that a long time ago but I like to argue the toss ;) But it would appear that others have not accepted it. Otherwise the Hyde would have been confirmed last night after that meeting. Local newspaper reporting er ..em 'negotiations' behind the scenes and Castlebar not ruled out yet ;D

At this stage the Hyde would probably be better from a Mayo point of view anyway. We wouldn t want the all blacks arriving in Mchale Park with any seige mentality or sense of grievance that might motivate them.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2012, 03:38:27 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2012, 03:18:28 PM
Moysider

Yawn. I kinda accepted that a long time ago but I like to argue the toss ;) But it would appear that others have not accepted it. Otherwise the Hyde would have been confirmed last night after that meeting. Local newspaper reporting er ..em 'negotiations' behind the scenes and Castlebar not ruled out yet ;D

At this stage the Hyde would probably be better from a Mayo point of view anyway. We wouldn t want the all blacks arriving in Mchale Park with any seige mentality or sense of grievance that might motivate them.
Ah I dunno moysider...they might spend a few bob driving through Ballina on the way sure. Handy few euro.

Mano

'Negotiations' is  one word for alright, I'd have another word for it

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2012, 03:38:27 PM
[. Local newspaper reporting er ..em 'negotiations' behind the scenes and Castlebar not ruled out yet ;D

Prenty witholding Sligo's grants so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2012, 03:45:14 PM
'Negotiations' is  one word for alright, I'd have another word for it

The colour of Sligo's jersey coupled with how the yanks refer to their post?

TyrionLannister

Heard strong word that this one will be in Salthill.

There is some proposed construction of sheep dipping tanks due in Hyde Park, that will down grade its capacity even further  ::)