Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I might as well get the show on the road for this one.

Mayo will be deservedly hot favorites after the demolition of Leitrim today.  4-20 is a serious score against any team, so we will have our work cut out for us to keep it respectable.

We're always better as underdogs, and all the pressure will be on Mayo.

Does anyone know what Eamon O'Hara's status is?  Will be available for selection, or is the knee still bothering him.

Three weeks to go, hoping it's a good final.  I assume Mayo will select Roscommon as the venue.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

The true victor will be Roscommon

(town)

(and maybe the minor team)

ross4life

From the Duke on the Roscommon people this week.

"the capacity of Dr Hyde Park was reduced to 18,500 after a report on facilities countrywide was carried out last year by the GAA.
Remedial works have been carried out at the Roscommon venue in the meantime, and meetings between the Roscommon county board and the Connacht Council have been held on the matter in recent weeks. The capacity of Pearse Stadium is 30,000.
  No decision on the venue for the Connacht final will be held until after Sunday's game at McHale Park and there is a scheduled meeting of the Connacht Council on Thursday the 28th June at which a decision is expected to be made."

In other words the Connacht Final might be Salthill yet.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

'Remedial works' almost surely means it's again at a capacity to host a Connacht final. Even this board isn't stupid enough to have their pants at their knees on the eve of the most lucrative game in the province.

Cosmo Kramer

Looks like the Hyde isn't up to the standard required. Salthill is a bit far to be asking people to travel, especially those from north Sligo. I suppose it might be fairer to just have the game in Castlebar. Sort this mess out Prenty!  :)

Three weeks of shadow boxing over the fitness of O'Hara and O'Shea coming up?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

magpie seanie

Could it not be played in Tuam if Roscommon is not up to it? I personally reckon 18,500 is enough capacity, would be doing well to get more than that. I'd prefer to go to Castlebar than Salthill.

Chimley

I reckon that Mayo would like to wait until the Roscommon/Galway minor match has been decided before committing to a venue.  ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2012, 10:09:51 AM
Could it not be played in Tuam if Roscommon is not up to it? I personally reckon 18,500 is enough capacity, would be doing well to get more than that. I'd prefer to go to Castlebar than Salthill.

Disagree with you re crowd size seanie. Afterall, over 14000 turned up for Mayo v Leitrim. Sligo will attract more Mayo fans and I'm sure ye will travel in a sizeable number yereselves.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

criostlinn

Job done against Leitrim yesterday. Mayo really were on a a hiding to nothing. Leitrim really poor and unless Mayo won with a score similar  to what they did, you really would have to wonder. Barry Moran got man of the match and he did put in a great shift, but the Leitrim midfield was so bad you could not look to much into Barry's display. Mayo go into a connacht final learning nothing except that we still have problems with the forward line. It looks like the mort will be back in along with conroy but this only addresses some of the issues. Cillian is not mobile enough for the half forward line and Dillon just is not performing lately. Despite getting two goals yesterday Andy is wasted in the full forward lien. He was out of teh game for huge periods when his work rate was needed further out the pitch.

Anyway on to the final

Sligo bucks reckon Mayo hammering Leitrim is the best result for them. They seem to have this idea that because of yesterdays result we will now head into the connacht final sure of a win and end up getting turned over due to complacency. Well sorry lads not gonna happen. Were not gonna forget two years ago that handy. This is a decent Sligo team and I expect them to give us a good test. We probably will be favourites, but thats more of a historical thing then anything else. I do expect Mayo to win but it aint gonna be easy

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2012, 03:22:32 AM
'Remedial works' almost surely means it's again at a capacity to host a Connacht final. Even this board isn't stupid enough to have their pants at their knees on the eve of the most lucrative game in the province.
It should but there's a good chance that it doesn't. I suppose it really depends on the scale of the remedial works being carried out.
If the Hyde fails the test, I can see no alternative to Castlebar. I know it's Mayo's home venue but where else is there to consider?
Salthill is a half day's drive from North Sligo and Galway city is one bad hoor of a place to drive through at the best of times. Tuam isn't up to much either.
If Sligo refuses to cede home advantage to Mayo and I would imagine they wouldn't be happy to go there, one would have to go outside the province. I can't see that happening. Pearse Park couldn't cater for the crowds expected so where else could stage the game? I dunno..
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayo.mick

Could be played in castlebar yet ;) Mayo v Sligo will bring a large crowd (remember croke park are looking for repayment )
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Mano

Quote from: mayo.mick on June 25, 2012, 11:16:12 AM
Could be played in castlebar yet ;) Mayo v Sligo will bring a large crowd (remember croke park are looking for repayment )
I don't think Mr Prenty could go back on the agreement made in 97 :P The game will be played at a neutral venue lads so enough of the wind up

Syferus

Look, dance your salsas around it as much as you can but there's about a 1% chance they game will be anywhere but the Hyde. The work that was to be done on it was completed time for the Galway game, we're not talking major building work.

stephenite