Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 25, 2012, 10:35:47 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2012, 10:09:51 AM
Could it not be played in Tuam if Roscommon is not up to it? I personally reckon 18,500 is enough capacity, would be doing well to get more than that. I'd prefer to go to Castlebar than Salthill.

Disagree with you re crowd size seanie. Afterall, over 14000 turned up for Mayo v Leitrim. Sligo will attract more Mayo fans and I'm sure ye will travel in a sizeable number yereselves.

Every report I heard said 10,000. It would be something else if more than 6-7000 Sligo people went. Supposing the extra Mayo supporters cancel out the Leitrim ones that were there yesterday - then you're still well under 18,500.

Syferus

From MayoGAA's twitter:

@Maigheoforsam Decision is to be made tonight. We will announce as soon as we get word.

The announcement will be tonight, anyways.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2012, 01:03:30 PM
[Disagree with you re crowd size seanie. Afterall, over 14000 turned up for Mayo v Leitrim. Sligo will attract more Mayo fans and I'm sure ye will travel in a sizeable number yereselves.

Every report I heard said 10,000. It would be something else if more than 6-7000 Sligo people went. Supposing the extra Mayo supporters cancel out the Leitrim ones that were there yesterday - then you're still well under 18,500.
[/quote]

14,398 is official figure quoted in several papers today.
If the Hyde is still limited to 18,500 then we have no hope of getting it.
In taht case I imagine Prenty will do some arm twisting on the Sligo Co Board to get it in Castlebar .
Could be ye're chance to get all those grants for all ye're pet projects Seanie/Sligonian etc  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

I dont think traffic etc would be an excuse to move a final out of salthill to castlebar.  I dont think the extra hour to galway would stop too many sligo supporters travelling.  If it does then I wouldn't consider them real supporters.
Either we have rules or we don't. I don't see why sligo should concede on this especially after mayo scoring 4-20 in Cbar yesterday
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

moysider

Playing the game in Salthill would reduce the attendance by thousands. Even 1000 less would mean 20,000 loss in revenue for the Connacht Council. Can t see them take a hammering. They d be fools to.

Any Mayo fans that have been to Salthill in recent years will have hellish memories of getting in and out of the place. Even those of us very familiar with the city and different rat runs struggle. It s going to be a chore for Sligo fans too. Castlebar could attract 5000 more than Salthill. Should the CC turn their noses up to euro100,000 ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2012, 03:36:51 PM

Playing the game in Salthill would reduce the attendance by thousands. Even 1000 less would mean 20,000 loss in revenue for the Connacht Council. Can t see them take a hammering. They d be fools to.

Any Mayo fans that have been to Salthill in recent years will have hellish memories of getting in and out of the place. Even those of us very familiar with the city and different rat runs struggle. It s going to be a chore for Sligo fans too. Castlebar could attract 5000 more than Salthill. Should the CC turn their noses up to euro100,000 ;)

I know we're only the sideshow but does the fact that it might be unfair granting Mayo home advantage not come into it?

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2012, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2012, 03:36:51 PM

I know we're only the sideshow but does the fact that it might be unfair granting Mayo home advantage not come into it?

It should. I don t care myself where it is. Of course it would be handier in Castlebar. If it is in Salthill or the Hyde and I don t fancy the hassle or expense it ll be on the telly anyways.

magpie seanie

Probably a storm in a teacup. Can't see the Hyde being full to even 18,500 capacity.

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2012, 04:10:40 PM
Probably a storm in a teacup. Can't see the Hyde being full to even 18,500 capacity.
If our minors reach the final you can add another few thousand if Galway reach it add a few hundred.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mano

I couldn't imagine the Sligo County Board caving in to the demands of the Connacht Council (John Prenty). After all there is an agreement in place that states all Connacht finals involving Sligo are to be played at neutral venues. If the County Board caves in it doesn't show a great example to the team.

moysider

This is probably all academic. What is the capacity of the all new, all singing, all dancing, remedial Dr Hyde Park.
If it can take 25,000 it will get the gig. It used to be 30,000 before it was condemned.

Blowitupref

Mayo 1/4 draw 10/1 Sligo 7/2 closer odds than the Munster football final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2012, 05:10:37 PM
This is probably all academic. What is the capacity of the all new, all singing, all dancing, remedial Dr Hyde Park.
If it can take 25,000 it will get the gig. It used to be 30,000 before it was condemned.
Only needs to be 20,000 to host a Connacht final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 25, 2012, 05:16:23 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2012, 05:10:37 PM
Only needs to be 20,000 to host a Connacht final.

There was more than 14,000 present yesterday for Mayo- Leitrim. Sligo folk will fancy this and while Mayo crowds are well down on a good day there could be a good turn. At least there would be if it was Castlebar. A neutral venue will take a third off the Mayo support imo.