All Ireland Hurling Championship 2012 - Who's going to win?

Started by CorkMan, April 04, 2012, 05:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to win the hurling championship this year?

Kilkenny
Tipperary
Galway
Cork

CorkMan

I'm probably just a little early posting this, but I'm excited about the championship. So, I'm wondering what ye're opinions are.

Kilkenny to win it, again?

Tipp to win it off them like 2010?

Galway to have a consistent season and win it?

JBM to turn it around in Cork (hopefully)?

Dublin to deliver the chamionship?

Oak Leafer

I don't think Kilkenny will retain it.

You maybe don't want to hear it Corkman but i think it will be yourselves or the Dubs!

CorkMan

I think we're up there but we're not quite at Kilkennys standard yet. They always seem to lift their performances for the AI.

johnneycool

Quote from: CorkMan on April 04, 2012, 07:54:45 PM
I think we're up there but we're not quite at Kilkennys standard yet. They always seem to lift their performances for the AI.

Even JBM can't work his magic that quick.

It'll be another year or two before Cork will be serious contenders IMO.

Would still have a fully fit, injury free Dublin above them, but its still between Tipp and Kilkenny for me.

Cork would be in the chasing pack of Galway and Waterford, capable of a one off win in the early rounds but when it gets to q/final and semi/final stages are one or two players short.

CorkMan

Quote from: johnneycool on April 05, 2012, 10:27:02 AM

Would still have a fully fit, injury free Dublin above them, but its still between Tipp and Kilkenny for me.

Cork would be in the chasing pack of Galway and Waterford, capable of a one off win in the early rounds but when it gets to q/final and semi/final stages are one or two players short.

I agree it'll be another few years before we're serious contenders. We're better than Dublin, though. I think if Galway gave a summer of consistent performances then they would really push Kilkenny and Tipp.

theskull1

Quote from: CorkMan on April 05, 2012, 12:07:44 PM
I agree it'll be another few years before we're serious contenders. We're better than Dublin, though. I think if Galway gave a summer of consistent performances then they would really push Kilkenny and Tipp.

Galway lacked in alot of areas on Sunday compared to the Cats. Ball winning capabilites especially was certainly nowhere near the Cats on Sunday
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

CorkMan

Quote from: theskull1 on April 05, 2012, 12:46:06 PM

Galway lacked in alot of areas on Sunday compared to the Cats. Ball winning capabilites especially was certainly nowhere near the Cats on Sunday

Galway have a few players to come back, though, don't they?

johnneycool

I agree it'll be another few years before we're serious contenders. We're better than Dublin, though.

I don't think you are. Dublin will need to get some lads off the treatment bench, but they're now starting to add a bit of strength in depth to their squad. They've sorted out fullback in Kelly who was outstanding there last year, Rushe will improve and their forwards will grow stronger if Keaney gets fit this year. The Cork youngsters have potential, but untested at championship as yet. Dublin for me I'm afraid!

I think if Galway gave a summer of consistent performances then they would really push Kilkenny and Tipp.

It's been almost two decades since Galway have been consistent, yet more major upheaval with no real answers to key positions of 3 and 6. square pegs and round holes at the minute.

CorkMan

Quote from: johnneycool on April 05, 2012, 12:54:39 PM

I agree it'll be another few years before we're serious contenders. We're better than Dublin, though.

I don't think you are. Dublin will need to get some lads off the treatment bench, but they're now starting to add a bit of strength in depth to their squad. They've sorted out fullback in Kelly who was outstanding there last year, Rushe will improve and their forwards will grow stronger if Keaney gets fit this year. The Cork youngsters have potential, but untested at championship as yet. Dublin for me I'm afraid!

Fair enough. Looking at them man for man they look stronger. I just think we're a better team.

I think if Galway gave a summer of consistent performances then they would really push Kilkenny and Tipp.

It's been almost two decades since Galway have been consistent, yet more major upheaval with no real answers to key positions of 3 and 6. square pegs and round holes at the minute.
[/quote]

I was in the Gaelic Grounds last summer when Galway absoloutley took uss apart in the second half. I was sure they were going to push Kilkenny and Tipp all the way (depending on who they met in the semi). Didn't think they'd have a problem with Waterford after they're Munster final performance. Galway were so bad that day, they made Waterford look good. If they had performed like they did against Cork they would have thrashed them. If they could put a string if performances like that together, they'd be real contenders imo.

heffo

We're better than Dublin, though.

I wouldn't agree with that - with our full pick I'd have no fear playing Cork.

It's KK, Tipp a chasing pack of Waterford, Galway, Cork & Dublin followed by Limerick & Clare for me..

imtommygunn

I still think Dublin have an awful lot to prove. They made a breakthrough of sorts last year when they beat Limerick and they put in a massive performance against Tipp however that massive performance at the end of the day meant nothing.

I hope this year to see them play some of the "second tier" mentioned below to see where they really fit.

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 05, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
I still think Dublin have an awful lot to prove. They made a breakthrough of sorts last year when they beat Limerick and they put in a massive performance against Tipp however that massive performance at the end of the day meant nothing.

I hope this year to see them play some of the "second tier" mentioned below to see where they really fit.

Agree with you on the first part.

We did however play Galway in Tullamore last June and beat them out the gate in all departments - this was dismissed at the time by most commentators as an 'off-day' for Galway,

imtommygunn

Ah yes I forgot about that.

I think they are definitely getting close to being up there but they need a few more big championship wins behind them to be up there yet.

I'd be very interested to see them play the corks, waterfords, limerick (again) and maybe the likes of Clare.

Cork ,to me, are always the kind of team that beat up and coming teams as they just always seem that bit more clincial and always seem to have complete belief in themselves which some of the other better counties don't at times. Based on that I think they would beat Dublin by 5 or 6.

It's very hard to know where Galway are going at the minute.

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 05, 2012, 04:30:37 PM

I'd be very interested to see them play the corks, waterfords, limerick (again) and maybe the likes of Clare.

Cork ,to me, are always the kind of team that beat up and coming teams as they just always seem that bit more clincial and always seem to have complete belief in themselves which some of the other better counties don't at times. Based on that I think they would beat Dublin by 5 or 6.

We played Clare in 2010 and beat them by about 15 points.

imtommygunn

They're a good bit better now though so I'd expect a tighter game.

Like I say I think you are getting to be there or thereabouts in that tier but a few more championship wins would cement you there.