Partitionist abuse - The poison of the meeja?

Started by whiskeysteve, March 21, 2012, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: ziggysego on March 21, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 03:45:24 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 21, 2012, 03:14:18 PM
Sure you only have to look back to the lead up to the 2003 All-Ireland Final. Because it was two Ulster teams in the final, the southern media were warning that it was going to be a blood bath in Croke Park, with the two teams tearing lumps out of each other during the game and the supporters battering each other in the stands.

Care to prove that with any links? Or are you too adding extreme hyperbole to make a point? Men in glass houses Ziggy.

Dromid got a load of abuse for running to the whore themselves to the media when they lost and couldn't accept it. To me it seems Armagh are doing the same. If McKeever had called a Laois man a "free-state ****" and got took up for it retrospectively and labelled a racist their would be uproar on here for heavy-handiness. And rightly so.

Do you really think that the North is the only ones to take abuse? When Cork and Kerry play do you think they go around saying "Hi Sean, pleased to see you, great day for a game". What next? Will Roscommon take up everyone who calls them a sheep-shagger for abuse? Will Donal-og go around looking for retrospective banning from every county who players or fans called him a "homo". Clinton Hennessy could do the same considering the abuse he takes because his brother is gay. What about Jason Sherlock or the O'Halpins, you think they were never called "black" or "chinks" or told to "f**k off back to China"?

On this board Nally Stand regularly mocks the Mexicans by addressing them in German or telling them they are controlled by Germany. Sure why don't we just ban him from it for racist remarks, sure its no different than calling a Northerner a Bristish b**tard.

This is a storm in a tea-cup. There has been alot worse abuse threw out on a GAA field than this. I can think of one alleged example last year involving a Donegal player and a young Tyrone player that, if it were true, would have completely crossed the lines of gamesmanship and let a very sour taste for any person who would have heard it. Likewise I was talking to a few Cavan lads last night and they were saying that McMenamin, McGuigan and Gormley were known to sledge players to try and get a physcological edge. They didn't advocate any bans or call them cheats or racists, they just said that this kind of thing was now rife in the GAA and no-one can truly stand and back say its a disgrace without being hypocritical.

Before I respond, I want to make sure you know what I'm saying in this post.

What do you think I've said?

That before the '03 final the media clearly and repeatedly said that there would be a "bloodbath on the pitch" and we would "tear lumps out of each other" in the stands?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2012, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 21, 2012, 04:20:34 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2012, 03:48:44 PM
I refer you to John Hume and Seamus Heaney.

I'll raise you an Austin Currie. I fail to see how he could be confused with a Sinn Feiner yet was still on the receiving end of all the abuse mentioned here both as a TD and when he ran for Presidency.

I think most of the abuse Austin Currie got was for being a joke candidate.

Nally Stand - a series of anecdotes like "a yob shouted ..." or "some Dublin supporters yelled ..." is hardly a sociological thesis. They're football supporters, FFS. And don't expect anyone here to defend Micheál Martin.

However, lads, far be it from me to deprive you of your self pity. If it makes you feel better, we hate you all. Why do you care if you hate us so much?

Ahh, ffs Hardy, don't hate me, I am not a hand wringing whinge?

Ah I should have clarified that. We hate you all, except John Hume, Seamus, Georgie, Van, Canavan, Barry ... and Brokencrossbar, Oisín, Joe ...

As a matter of fact everyone should consider this thread open for application to be added to the exception list. Olly is hereby elected by acclamation. Some others need not apply. You know who you are.

haranguerer

Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2012, 03:53:00 PM
Denis Faul, Seán Quinn, every Down team to come out of Uslter,  Cardinals Daly and Ó Fiaich, Peter Canavan ("God", no less, to the media, South as well as North - sure they even turned on us when he sprained his ankle, as if it was our fault).

Didnt take yous long to turn on him!!

Dont Matter

Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 03:50:48 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 03:46:53 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 03:45:06 PM
It's not just an anti Sinn Féin feeling though. It's a feeling that they are not properly Irish. You'd be surprised at how common this view is held.
It comes from the long standing media campaign that vilified all Northern Nationalists not just those involved with SF or the IRA. People were given a one sided view for 40 years by the Southern media, it had to have an effect.

Do you live in Dublin or the South?

Laois.

And you encounter alot of Anti-Northern sentiment in Laois? I live in Dublin and have seen or heard very little of it.

No not much, it doesn't come up in conversation that often but I have heard it enough to know it exists and is not un-common.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2012, 05:13:31 PM

I'll raise you an Austin Currie. I fail to see how he could be confused with a Sinn Feiner yet was still on the receiving end of all the abuse mentioned here both as a TD and when he ran for Presidency.

Nally Stand - a series of anecdotes like "a yob shouted ..." or "some Dublin supporters yelled ..." is hardly a sociological thesis. They're football supporters, FFS. And don't expect anyone here to defend Micheál Martin.

However, lads, far be it from me to deprive you of your self pity. If it makes you feel better, we hate you all. Why do you care if you hate us so much?

Ah I should have clarified that. We hate you all, except John Hume, Seamus, Georgie, Van, Canavan, Barry ... and Brokencrossbar, Oisín, Joe ...

As a matter of fact everyone should consider this thread open for application to be added to the exception list. Olly is hereby elected by acclamation. Some others need not apply. You know who you are.

That would be a great idea, Nordies could have their own hate list and Mexicans can have theirs!!!!

Applesisapples

Barry is from fcukin Monaghan you eejit. :)

trileacman

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 05:19:03 PM

Well then it's Barry who is confused and not Hardy.

trileacman

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 05:15:50 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 03:50:48 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 03:45:06 PM
It's not just an anti Sinn Féin feeling though. It's a feeling that they are not properly Irish. You'd be surprised at how common this view is held.
It comes from the long standing media campaign that vilified all Northern Nationalists not just those involved with SF or the IRA. People were given a one sided view for 40 years by the Southern media, it had to have an effect.

Do you live in Dublin or the South?

Laois.

And you encounter alot of Anti-Northern sentiment in Laois? I live in Dublin and have seen or heard very little of it.

No not much, it doesn't come up in conversation that often but I have heard it enough to know it exists and is not un-common.

Well could you not same the same about the North the as regards it's anti-Southern sentiment? I mean someone from the South living in the North is bound to encounter a degree of it, some of them would encounter quite alot of it if they lived in the wrong area.

I'm not saying there is no anti-northern setiment in the republic, but the trouble is so many Northerns think that a United Ireland means the Southern population becomes just like us instead if us becoming more like them.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 05:19:03 PM

Well then it's Barry who is confused and not Hardy.
Nah Barry always say's hes from Clones, sure he hasn't lost the accent.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 21, 2012, 04:23:38 PM
Ahh Hardy...the old chestnut of "we're not partitionist, you just think we are because we don't like SF"....Nonsense.

I doubt very much if Sheehan & McKeever were discussing the ins and outs of SF policies when Sheehan began singing GSTQ into McKeever's ear and calling him a "British b**tard". I doubt very much if the dubs leaving Croke Park after the Tyrone semi-final last year were thinking about SF when they began singing at a group of Tyrone fans walking infront of them (myself included) that they should "F**k off back to England". I recall Michael Martin during the General Election campaign lambasting Martin McGuinness for "coming down here to the republic". That was not an attack on any SF policy, but rather a deep seeded partitionist mindset which he couldn't keep under wraps. I also recall during the same campaign, when BBC Hearts & Minds ran a vox-pop of students in Dublin on the topic of McGuinness' candidature, and the most frequent responses were summed up nicely by a girl at the end who remarked "personally, I think he should stay up north, he shouldn't come down here". I also recall McGuinness being challenged by a woman in the audience during a "Frontline" debate, who lambasted him for coming "down here". When McGuinness responded ""I come from Derry and Derry is as Irish as Cork," the woman responded "no it isn't". Again, that's hardly a discussion of SF policy. It is partitionism. I also recall reading a columnist in the indo stating "I hold my hand up and admit that I'm one of those "partitionist in my thinking" types that Martin McGuinness so dislikes. The 1998 referendum on the Good Friday Agreement dealing with the removal of the Republic's territorial claim to the North was no wrench to me. I reckon it's a murky little middle-class secret kept by myself and many others". I also recall a Hogan Cup game a few years ago (as I mentioned on another thread), where several lads on the Carlow team AND a linesman were dishing out the "brit b******s" line to Omagh players. Again, hardly a discussion of SF politics. Even the little things.... Kenny Archer noted in the paper today, that in the All-Ireland club finals programme, there were twelve experts interviewed for their opinions...none of them were from the north despite two six county teams being involved on the day (and all twelve got their predictions wrong!). I also recall a few years back overhearing a conversation in a Monaghan hotel between two Dublin women, and one telling the other how her son was going to Belfast and that she was nervous for him because it was "his first time in a foreign city by himself". Again, not a mention from her about SF.

Hardy, I only referred to some instances being from footballing circles. And even so, what is the difference? Is partitionism from football supporters/linesmen not allowed to count? Are they not real people? And as for the BBC Hearts & Minds vox-pop contributors/indo columnist/audience member in frontline etc etc....is that all anecdodal, even though the evidence of their remarks was committed to film and print for the world to see? Attempting to portray blatant partitionism as nothing more than an expression of dislike towards SF is totally disingenuous. It has fcuk all squared to do with political parties. It is naked partitionism.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ziggysego

Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 05:06:37 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 21, 2012, 04:37:51 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 21, 2012, 03:45:24 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 21, 2012, 03:14:18 PM
Sure you only have to look back to the lead up to the 2003 All-Ireland Final. Because it was two Ulster teams in the final, the southern media were warning that it was going to be a blood bath in Croke Park, with the two teams tearing lumps out of each other during the game and the supporters battering each other in the stands.

Care to prove that with any links? Or are you too adding extreme hyperbole to make a point? Men in glass houses Ziggy.

Ziggys correct. I remember well the Free State  media hysteria because two northern teams made the final and there were indeed calls for segregation. The press archives aren't available online for free but a quick Google turned up this passing reference in an archive copy of the Donegal Times.

http://www.donegaltimes.com/2003/09_1/sport.html
"Move aside Armagh and Tyrone for the moment - we have our enactment here in Donegal in the shape of the U-14 championship decider between neighbours Naohm Naille and Four Masters. Scheduled for Mc Cumhaill Park on the week-end of September 13th/14th (check fixture list), this contest has all the ingredients of being a closely contested affair. There will be no lavish press nights - no mention of segregating rival fans - no stress levels associated with demand for tickets and hopefully no planned garda excort for match officials, and yet the game takes on even more importance than any All-Ireland for those involved. "

That's your media hysteria? A throw-away comment in the Donegal Times discussing the 2003 U-14 final?

Sure Jaysus you've just pointed out that the entire anti-northern sentiment is originating from the diehard followers of the Donegal U-14 championship. I think we've found the problems lads.

It was 8 years ago and the media didn't really archive much back then online.
Testing Accessibility

Benny Sweeney

Its a terrible victim complex that people from the six counties have. Why is though? why are you attention whores all the time? your worst then PETA.

Dont Matter

Well could you not same the same about the North the as regards it's anti-Southern sentiment? I mean someone from the South living in the North is bound to encounter a degree of it, some of them would encounter quite alot of it if they lived in the wrong area.

I'm not saying there is no anti-northern setiment in the republic, but the trouble is so many Northerns think that a United Ireland means the Southern population becomes just like us instead if us becoming more like them.

I'm sure there's anti-Southern sentiment in the North. Some areas for obvious reasons but the free stater comments come from a sense of betrayal which if we're honest isn't unjustified.
If there was a vote in the South to end partition it would be a lot closer than people expect.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Nally Stand

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 06:21:23 PM
Its a terrible victim complex that people from the six counties have. Why is though? why are you attention whores all the time? your worst then PETA.

Occupied by Britain then betrayed & forgotten about about by our own, I suppose
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lawnseed

try this out. bobby sands is the greatest irishman to live and die in my short life
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once