Partitionist abuse - The poison of the meeja?

Started by whiskeysteve, March 21, 2012, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

The Gaelic Athletic Association / Cumann Lúthchleas Gael is a 32 county sporting and cultural organisation....

http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/

Hmmmm...

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 21, 2012, 04:23:38 PM
Ahh Hardy...the old chestnut of "we're not partitionist, you just think we are because we don't like SF"....Nonsense.
Some people are 'partitionist', no doubt. But the problem in the Presidential campaign was most definitely with McGuinness as a person, his background and his party. And yes, that might have manifested itself in some partitionist comments. But don't recall any negative focus on Dana because she was from the North. And as has been mentioned, two other Derry men would have been immensely popular candidates.

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 21, 2012, 08:21:02 PM
Ahh Hardy...the old chestnut of "we're not partitionist, you just think we are because we don't like SF"....Nonsense.
Some people are 'partitionist', no doubt. But the problem in the Presidential campaign was most definitely with McGuinness as a person, his background and his party. And yes, that might have manifested itself in some partitionist comments. But don't recall any negative focus on Dana because she was from the North. And as has been mentioned, two other Derry men would have been immensely popular candidates.

Thats not to say it still wouldnt have been a negative for them.

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: haranguerer on March 21, 2012, 08:15:56 PM
The Gaelic Athletic Association / Cumann Lúthchleas Gael is a 32 county sporting and cultural organisation....

Hmmmm...

But it does not promote the political aim of Irish unity

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on March 21, 2012, 08:29:43 PM

I have no reason to believe it would have.

muppet

Benny would you like to hazard a guess what part of the country the original Sweeney family hails from?
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 21, 2012, 08:31:39 PM

Isn't accepting that some people are partitionist (I assume you didn't mean just in the north) a reason to believe that it would have been a negative?

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 08:35:15 PM
Benny would you like to hazard a guess what part of the country the original Sweeney family hails from?

Can you not go troll someone else? I will have to report you to the moderators if you dont stop.

muppet

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 08:47:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 08:35:15 PM

Can you not go troll someone else? I will have to report you to the moderators if you dont stop.

Is trolling yourself called Trollerbation?
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Dana was not a credible candidate therefor no comments were needed. There were repeated partitionist comments from all directions throughout the campaign. It cannot be disguised as anything else or be excused as being motivated by anything other than regarding the six counties as 'different' and 'less Irish'.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

haranguerer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

Hmmmm...
So is rugby and cricket along with a few others, leaving out the cultural bit.

Oh right. What if we leave out all but the 'organisation' bit? Does that make it the same as all other organisations?

Onlooker

I detest partitionism and I think it has increased a bit in recent years, but only in parts of the country and among certain classes.  By that I mean the types of people who admire the writings of the likes of Eoghan Harris, Kevin Myers and co.  I also think it is to a large extent an urban or  Dublin thing rather than being prevalent in rural areas.   The All Ireland wins of Down, Derry, Armagh and Tyrone were celebrated all over the country and certainly in my neck of the woods.  The Laois footballer who sparked this present controversy is no credit to either his native or adopted counties.

whiskeysteve

I see I fucked up the spelling in thread title  :-[- carry on! ;D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

haranguerer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:35:25 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 21, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

Hmmmm...
So is rugby and cricket along with a few others, leaving out the cultural bit.

Oh right. What if we leave out all but the 'organisation' bit? Does that make it the same as all other organisations?
The last time I checked, rugby and cricket don't really do culture, just sport. The GAA, believe it or not, is not the only 32-county organisation around.

I dont know what you're on about. 

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on March 21, 2012, 08:47:00 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 21, 2012, 08:31:39 PM

Isn't accepting that some people are partitionist (I assume you didn't mean just in the north) a reason to believe that it would have been a negative?
Some people. But not many. I don't believe for a minute that Hume or Heaney would have had a reception similar to McGuinness. In my opinion, either of them would probably have won comfortably.