Absolutely Cheated - Cavan + REF V Sligo

Started by SLIGONIAN, March 12, 2007, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

I agree to a certain extent with Myles. I have played with Eamon at club level and he is just ridicolous at talking to ref's. He is told before every game to keep his mouth shut but it makes no difference. The result is we rarelt get a fair deal from referees in te county. The lad is in his thirties now-he should know better

Captain Scarlet

this shite sickens me, at every league match you have a lad who only sees one side and then goes on about the ref when his team doesnt get a free.

so what if cavan did go out to upset o'hara. he should be old enough not to rise to it at this stage.

to call the ref a cheat is a joke. he just reacts to what he sees and hears. so if there is a decision in the balamce he's hardly going to go with the team who are bollicking him every minute. its human nature.

and just to annoy ya sligonian  :D

Sligo have been awarded the points from their Allianz National Football League match against Kildare at Markievicz Park on February 9. Kildare won the match, but the GAA's Games Administration Committee adjudged that the Lilywhites were in breach of Rule 109b (ii) of the GAA's Official Guide in that they failed to name their five substitutes on the day.

sticklers for rules and refereeing ye lot

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteIs Sligonian Eamon O Hara?

Thought this was hilarious, but now i think you could be on to something!
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

sligoman2

For what it's worth here's my opinion...

Yes, no doubt the refereeing was terrible.  I listened to the game on radio and the commentators were in total disbelief at some of the decisions.  Granted I was listening to Ocean FM so it could have been biased.

On a more serious note however it seemed to be more of the same from Sligo, valiant defensive effort only to be wasted by either midfield or forwards giving away easy posession.  Regardless of the ref, we need to take a hard look at why we are struggling to score.  I may be wrong but I think we only have one goal so far and that is from a penalty which is shocking....

I still think this team has potential but we have too many players that drift in and out of games and O'Hara is one of them.  We seem to lack the killer instinct, but I have faith in Tommy Brehony and I know he has a good head for the game and his heart is fully behind this team. 

It looks like it's going to come down to our last game with Wicklow to see who makes fourth place in the division. Playing Wexford away is a tough assignment but I'm hoping we continue to improve and start to play smarter football than we have been doing.

Seanie or Sligonian, I'd love to see how ye rate the players from one to 10......

As for the ref, I think everyone can understand how Sligo fans can despise what he has done to us in both this match and the Westmeath game, whether it was intentional or not.  We have to learn to deal with it however and we have to find the net more often........

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

paddypastit

Captain Scarlett - Don't know which year you are referring top with the Kildare reference (think it was 2003) but in 2002 Kildate fielded 6 subs in a League game against Sligo in Newbridge and had to replay the game in Sligo.  The ref in Newbridge...??  Yes - said Michael Hughes!!

As for this last weekend - didn't see or hear anything other than what I've read here but in all fairness lads, I would never expect any referee to give the benefit to Eamonn - he is on the edge all through every game in terms of lip and for every slap he ever got, be sure that somewhere along the line the other fella got two. The reality is that it is part of the package.  To be honest I'd put up with being on the edge to have more like him. 
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

sligoman2

On a separate note, how did Summerhill do this weekend?  I can't find the result anywhere...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

realredhandfan

I heard the ref fucked them over, and his name,  Hughie Mackey.  Could he be any relation????

magpie seanie

Summerhill were beaten by a point. I wasn't at it but apparently they were a wee bit unlucky. The guy I spoke to who was at it reckoned Summerhill had better footballers but Rice probably had a bit more experience and physical presence. I know Summerhill were also missing one or two key players (Gary Cawley from my own club who has been excellent for them all year being one). So a tough defeat and despite reaching a Connacht final an awful lot of work to do in Summerhill on the GAA front. Apparently the GAA team got a bus to go and support the school soccer team in their Connacht final. This wasn't reciprocated and to annoy the lads even further the soccer team caoch referred to the gaelic team as "failed soccer players". Plus ca change...

As for rating the players out of ten I'll have a go though no doubt this could end in another row....

Greene 6.5 - kickouts much better than against Meath, no hope with the goal;
Harrison 7.5 - the guy is class, getting better all the time. His opponent didn't get a sniff;
Maguire 7.5 - proving to be a major lynchpin at the back. Gave the mercenary very little lattitude;
Donovan 8.0 - had a really good outing in our best line of the field;
McGovern 5.0 - should have done better for the goal in my view. Battled away but didn't influence matters hugely;
Egan - 5.0 - pretty disappointing. Hard to know where you get the best out of him but I reckon its defo not centre back on this evidence.
J. Davey - 7.0 - a good outing by a lad who has improved his defensive game considerably
Horan - 6.0 - worked hard, contested the ball and did the simple things reasonably well. Should have taken an easy score early on. Would have doubts about him against stronger opposition.
O'Hara - 7.0 - looked early on like he was on for a huge game but the dead leg took the sap out of him. Worked away after that and took on a lot of the tough work.
Gallagher - 6.5 - another decent outing with a couple of scores to boot. Has impressed me this season so far.
Breheny - 7.5 - some fine scores and good work rate he was a huge loss when he went off.
McNamara - 6.0 - showed signs of improvement but drifted in and out. Still finding his way back into it but showed some classy touches.
Kelly - 6.5 - worked tirelessly for the team but doesn't get supported quick enough when he wins ball. Needs to get more scores from possession he gains.
S. Davey - 4.0 - woeful again.
O'Neill - 7.0 - played the sweeper role again to great effect in the first half, scoring the point of the night. Was less effective in second period in an orthodox role at wing forward but a little unlucky to be taken off. Had taken a few wrong options just prior to being taken off.
Subs:
Quinn - 6.0 - dominated the aerial exchanges when he arrived aided by a bad kickout and good hunting for breaks by teammates. Took a poor option late on lobbing a ball in when it might have been better to work it in.
Sweeney - 5.0 - quiet enough as game became more stop start.
McPartland - handled a bit of ball and looked a bit better than recent outings.
Taylor - kicked the frees beautifully and though he didn't see much ball (was only on for less than 10) he does send panic through defences when he arrives.

So there you are - over to you Sligonian.

baoithe

Oh to have Paul Taylor with the pace he had circa 1997/98.......

realredhandfan

Ive never seen a more despondant family of weeshers like ye Sligo men. Unbelievable.. Oh to have O Hara with his gub shut, Oh to have Paul Talyor from 10 years ago.  The world against us all. The ref has it in for us.  doomed..  Unreal
Shortly gonna take overArmagh as the biggest shower of whingers ever beat on a football field.

magpie seanie

Imagine if that penalty had been converted in 1986. Imagine if Paddy Russell hadn't blown for a free. Imagine if those big bold Meath men didn't beat us up....

SLIGONIAN

Greene 6.5 not much to do besides kickout were decent
Harrison 7.5 excellent
Mc guire 7.5
Donovan 7.5
Egan 5.0 distribution terrible
McGovern 5.5 did ok
J Davey 8.0 I thought was our man of the match
O Hara 7.0 If he got some protection he would of flourished but 5 men around like swarm every time he got the ball and free to cavan
Horan 5.5 was disappointed with him looked slow and restricted in his running
Gallagher 6 never really gets to involved plays along the fringes
Brehony 7 did good but made 2 fouls and got 2 yellows for feck all
Mc Namara 4.5 Thought he was terrible
Kelly 6.5 same as ohara no protection
S Davey 3 enough said, looks disinterested
O Neill 7 swept up well was suprised he was taken off

subs

Quinn 5.5 just looks awkward to me with no end product
Sweeney 5.5 this lad could be good if wed play him ff and lob high balls in.
McPartland 5.5 looked fitter than usaul
Taylor took his frees well

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bensars

As a matter of interest sligonian,  how did you rate the officals ? ::)

SLIGONIAN

I was wondering why there wasnt that many from cavan at the game and theres not much else to do around there. But 15euro is a bit steep. ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

realredhandfan

Plus when they seen the referee they knew it was in the bag, the gnomes had seen to it..safer at home with a kebab.  :D