Paul Grimley New Armagh Assistant Manager?

Started by CountyGK, August 31, 2011, 10:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 02, 2011, 10:44:14 PM
He's just a very good coach who knows the value of his own skills and knowledge of football and fair play to him for being able to get anything in return.  Nothing could pay him for the hours and hours he has given to football over the years as a player and coach away from his family but doing something he loves.  It ill befits anyone to sneer at him and to try to belittle his character by attempting to take a high moral ground on being a "true gael" in an amateur sport.  I know for certain that you wouldn't dream of saying the same to Paul Grimley in person and I know the bigger man he is that he would just shake his head and walk away from you.

Fair play to anyone who can get some return from putting so much into a game that they love.  I doubt if any of the begrudgers have given so much of their time and skills to others as Paul Grimley.  There are very few good coaches who only do it for the money or expenses they are begrudgingly given and there are plenty of chancers running around grabbing all they can get for little substance in return  just like in any part of life.

You know for certain do ya? Good for you.
Seems like you have added 2+2 and got 22. I wasnt sneering, on the contrary. The fact is you have no idea who on here has given what to the GAA so best advised not to jump to conclusions and assumptions.
Grimley is undoubtedly the real deal, I have honestly never heard a bad word about him, and that includes what I have heard about him getting paid with the many clubs and counties he has been with.

pearseog

Not many people would coach other clubs or counties other than their own for free..lets be honest. But when your county don't want you (i.e. Armagh two years ago), where else was he to go?

snippets

this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Sandy Hill

Paul Grimley is a gentleman, a shrewd football tactician and an outstanding man manager and hopefully the future of Armagh football will be entrusted to him eventually.
"Stercus accidit"

borderfox

He's just a very good coach who knows the value of his own skills and knowledge of football and fair play to him for being able to get anything in return.  Nothing could pay him for the hours and hours he has given to football over the years as a player and coach away from his family but doing something he loves.  It ill befits anyone to sneer at him and to try to belittle his character by attempting to take a high moral ground on being a "true gael" in an amateur sport.  I know for certain that you wouldn't dream of saying the same to Paul Grimley in person and I know the bigger man he is that he would just shake his head and walk away from you.

Fair play to anyone who can get some return from putting so much into a game that they love.  I doubt if any of the begrudgers have given so much of their time and skills to others as Paul Grimley.  There are very few good coaches who only do it for the money or expenses they are begrudgingly given and there are plenty of chancers running around grabbing all they can get for little substance in return  just like in any part of life.

Well said!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lawnseed

anything/anyone has to be an improvement.. wouldnt care if it was ronald mc donald just as long as por is moving nearer the exit door
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

sheamy

Absolute bollocks. No-one is doubting most coaches love of the game is the main reason they do it, and I'm not going to personalise this any more. We now also have people double jobbing and taking a bit from here, a bit from there. This is becoming a lifestyle choice for people.

But to say 'fair play for what you can get out of it' is just plain wrong. What about the club men who raise the finance? What about the u16 managers, the minor managers etc etc? Why only senior managers? What if club chairpersons and secretaries adopt this attitude?

Alot of people put a hell of a lot of time into the GAA. The GAA costs us all money and I have no problem with that. Let me tell you I know of alot of people who put in as much time and effort, and more in alot of cases, as any of these 'super coaches' and managers and they don't and wouldn't take a penny for it.

We need to think of the bigger picture here. Where is the likely landing place for the 'ah, fair play to him for getting what he can out of it' attitude? If you take this to its logical conclusion, where does it end up? We had Pauric Duffy claim he was on the case a few years ago. Not sure what Pauric has done to be honest. And few coaches are paid more than him!

We need to address this from the top down because the attitude of 'I'll take what I can get' is going to destroy the association. You are going to lose genuine people who give everything for nothing. We'll see where we end up then.

ck

Many of you mentioned Aidan O'Rourke as super coach. Well, he is now the Down coach as of tomorrow. You heard it here first!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ck on September 05, 2011, 08:35:24 PM
Many of you mentioned Aidan O'Rourke as super coach. Well, he is now the Down coach as of tomorrow. You heard it here first!

No we didn't, it has been a fairly open secret since he left the Kildare job.

naka

ck your news is old hat -almost everyone i was chatting to over the weekend knew that he was a shoe-in for this post.

ck

Quote from: naka on September 06, 2011, 09:34:43 AM
ck your news is old hat -almost everyone i was chatting to over the weekend knew that he was a shoe-in for this post.

Speculation was old hat, confirmation was here first! Posted here last night - carried in todays papers!