Paul Grimley New Armagh Assistant Manager?

Started by CountyGK, August 31, 2011, 10:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: pearseog on September 01, 2011, 11:19:59 AM
Quote from: regal on September 01, 2011, 11:05:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2011, 10:47:05 AM
Surely the County Board now have to apologise to Paddy Heaney for calling him a liar??!!

Paddy will certainly have a big smirk on his face for a day or two.

It is great to see Grimley back in the Armagh set up. His title doesn't really matter as he will be the man most of the players look up to. His motivation and tactical approach will surely enable big improvements. I would imagine he will have a good relationship with POR but if the relationship breaks down I would suggest that POR will be the one steping aside.

Was it not Grimley who suggested to the County Board that they should employ McGurn as coach a few years back when he was interviewed for the job. Hopefully this will help the overall management / coaching set up.

But should he? All he said in his articles is that Armagh were searching for a 'supercoach' (glorified asst manager). He never actually named who he knew it was. I could have wrote the article albeit with bad grammar and spelling.
If he knew who the 'supercoach' was going to be, it was bad journalism not to print it.

That's not the point. IIRC the Armagh County Board flat out denied what Heaney had written and basically said he fabricated it . . . now lo and behold Grimley is parachuted in as the new 'Super Coach'!

screenexile

Quote from: sheamy on September 01, 2011, 02:25:16 PM
Armagh 2002-06, Cavan 2007, Kildare 2008-09, Monaghan 2010, Meath 2011, Armagh 2012. Nearly as big a mercenary as McGurn.

Not as bad as McElkennon though!

NP 76

would he be on much spondulix??
By this i take it you mean money ? Must be on a good bit Morgans diesel has just gone up 3 p a litre see them changing the signs

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sheamy

Quote from: NP 76 on September 01, 2011, 05:25:07 PM
By this i take it you mean money ? Must be on a good bit Morgans diesel has just gone up 3 p a litre see them changing the signs

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stew

Big Paul is top class, the big job will be his before long and there is not a man in Ireland I would rather have as manager of Armagh, not even Geezer.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ck

Quote from: stew on September 01, 2011, 07:22:51 PM
Big Paul is top class, the big job will be his before long and there is not a man in Ireland I would rather have as manager of Armagh, not even Geezer.

Why? What is it about the man that makes people think he will be very good? He has been with a heap of counties but never as manager. Why? Surely if it is the legend that som eof you claim he is then he would have got a Manager job before now?

ogshead

Quote from: ck on September 01, 2011, 08:30:42 PM
Quote from: stew on September 01, 2011, 07:22:51 PM

Why? What is it about the man that makes people think he will be very good? He has been with a heap of counties but never as manager. Why? Surely if it is the legend that som eof you claim he is then he would have got a Manager job before now?

The reason he has never had the top job before was because he was shafted by the county board!! You would need to have played for him to understand what he is like for a team. I am delighted he is back and I would say that the players will respond positively to this as well!!

loughshore lad

Ulick

Quote from: NP 76 on September 01, 2011, 05:25:07 PM

:D

Throw ball

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2011, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: pearseog on September 01, 2011, 11:19:59 AM
Quote from: regal on September 01, 2011, 11:05:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2011, 10:47:05 AM
Surely the County Board now have to apologise to Paddy Heaney for calling him a liar??!!

Paddy will certainly have a big smirk on his face for a day or two.

It is great to see Grimley back in the Armagh set up. His title doesn't really matter as he will be the man most of the players look up to. His motivation and tactical approach will surely enable big improvements. I would imagine he will have a good relationship with POR but if the relationship breaks down I would suggest that POR will be the one steping aside.

Was it not Grimley who suggested to the County Board that they should employ McGurn as coach a few years back when he was interviewed for the job. Hopefully this will help the overall management / coaching set up.

But should he? All he said in his articles is that Armagh were searching for a 'supercoach' (glorified asst manager). He never actually named who he knew it was. I could have wrote the article albeit with bad grammar and spelling.
If he knew who the 'supercoach' was going to be, it was bad journalism not to print it.

That's not the point. IIRC the Armagh County Board flat out denied what Heaney had written and basically said he fabricated it . . . now lo and behold Grimley is parachuted in as the new 'Super Coach'!

Murtagh quit as selector after the Tyrone game. It would not have taken much cop on to work out that someone was going to be appointed. The 'super coach' tag was like a tabloid heading which a number of others jumped upon. A new assistant was appointed. Simple as that. Same as Down will do in the next while if reports are to be believed.

irunthev

Quote from: loughshore lad on September 01, 2011, 10:47:26 PM
The "mileage" wont be as high with Armagh  ???

If he goes to training via Cushendal it won't be too bad :o

stew

Paul Grimley is a tremendous gaelic football man, he is a proven winner and the players that have trained under him swear by him, this talk of mileage and money cheapens him, knock that shite off and focus on the fact he is the future of Armagh football management and I for one am absolutely delighted.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sheamy

Quote from: stew on September 02, 2011, 08:52:42 PM
Paul Grimley is a tremendous gaelic football man, he is a proven winner and the players that have trained under him swear by him, this talk of mileage and money cheapens him, knock that shite off and focus on the fact he is the future of Armagh football management and I for one am absolutely delighted.

I agree lad, it cheapens anyone who takes it.

ck

Quote from: stew on September 02, 2011, 08:52:42 PM

I appreciate your point but he wasnt involved with Meath or Kildare for the love of the game (maybe he was?) it was for the 'generous expenses'. That doesnt mean he isnt a great coach or a true gaa man. He is just a great coach and a true gaa man who chaces the coin.