Largest deficit over turned?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 08, 2011, 12:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Just wondering what the largest deficit ye remember being turned around?
Mayo were 12 points down to Dublin in the league this year and got back to level terms but then lost the game.
6 down to cork the last day, 7 to the dubs in '06 and was it 7 to Galway in '04?

There was also some game there in the mid 90's that we were 6 points up but we drew that thank God  :-\

Edit: maybe keep it to intercounty
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

David McKeown

Armagh were at least 7 down to Fermanagh at the Athletic Grounds in the early 90's with 5 minutes to go and won by a point.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ONeill

Down were 9 up against Tyrone in 2003. Not overturned I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Onlooker

Tipperary minors were 11 points behind Kerry in the first half of the Munster Semi Final and 10 points behind at half time, but won by a point.  Armagh minors pulled back a very big lead against Down.  I am not sure of the lead that Down had, but AFAIK it was in the 10 points region.  Only for an unlucky extra time defeat for Armagh by Roscommon the All Ireland Quarter Final, Tipp and Armagh would have met in the All Ireland Semi Final in 2 weeks time.  That would have been a game to look forward to.

AQMP

I seem to remember way back in the blearly eyed mists of time in the 1982 Ulster Minor Final, Antrim were at one point possibly 11?? points down against Down and went on to win.  Time may have stretched this deficit but they were at least 9 points down at one stage.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Onlooker on August 08, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Tipperary minors were 11 points behind Kerry in the first half of the Munster Semi Final and 10 points behind at half time, but won by a point.  Armagh minors pulled back a very big lead against Down.  I am not sure of the lead that Down had, but AFAIK it was in the 10 points region.  Only for an unlucky extra time defeat for Armagh by Roscommon the All Ireland Quarter Final, Tipp and Armagh would have met in the All Ireland Semi Final in 2 weeks time.  That would have been a game to look forward to.

Armagh were 12 down with 20 mins to go this year against Down and won the game.

PAULD123

Quote from: David McKeown on August 08, 2011, 12:07:44 PM
Armagh were at least 7 down to Fermanagh at the Athletic Grounds in the early 90's with 5 minutes to go and won by a point.

It was 9 points down with around 5-6 minutes to go. Fermanagh were a bit cocky and brought on some young lads as a run-out. Armagh more-or-less having given up on the sidelines brought on Barry O'Hagan to give him a debut. Barry got the ball wide and ran at the defence. Even though Armagh needed goals badly, Barry hit the ball over the bar. To be honest he just looked like he wanted a score on his championship début. The rest of the team looked at him like he was an idiot. Anyway from the kickout the ball went to midfield where it was fielded and then booted forward - Goal. few minutes left and now five points in it. Grimley was moved to full forward from midfield and the result was pretty much two kickouts, two catches, two punts forward and two net busters.

Armagh won by a point and if it hadn't been for O'Hagan's point it would have been a draw at best. The Athletic Grounds was half empty by the time the final whistle was blown as a lot of Armagh fans had left early in disgust. I passed lots of orange flags that had been thrown in the hedges and ditches as I left the ground. I was thinking that I bet those guys wished they had stayed and never thrown their flags away.

I believe the game was 1993.

blanketattack

2008: Wexford 10 down to Meath and won by 1
'72 hurling final. Cork 8 up with 13 min to go and Kilkenny scored 2-9 to win.
'91 Munster hurling: Tipp 9 pts down to Cork and won by 4
'08 A-I Semi. Cork were 8 points down to Kerry with 2 min to go and 6 pts down with the 70 minutes up and scored 2 goal in injury time to draw. In the replay Cork came from 10 points down to draw level only to see the Gooch score a late goal to win.

Bogball XV

Quote from: PAULD123 on August 08, 2011, 03:44:34 PM

It was 9 points down with around 5-6 minutes to go. Fermanagh were a bit cocky and brought on some young lads as a run-out. Armagh more-or-less having given up on the sidelines brought on Barry O'Hagan to give him a debut. Barry got the ball wide and ran at the defence. Even though Armagh needed goals badly, Barry hit the ball over the bar. To be honest he just looked like he wanted a score on his championship début. The rest of the team looked at him like he was an idiot. Anyway from the kickout the ball went to midfield where it was fielded and then booted forward - Goal. few minutes left and now five points in it. Grimley was moved to full forward from midfield and the result was pretty much two kickouts, two catches, two punts forward and two net busters.

Armagh won by a point and if it hadn't been for O'Hagan's point it would have been a draw at best. The Athletic Grounds was half empty by the time the final whistle was blown as a lot of Armagh fans had left early in disgust. I passed lots of orange flags that had been thrown in the hedges and ditches as I left the ground. I was thinking that I bet those guys wished they had stayed and never thrown their flags away.

Was that not the game that Denis Holywood scored a couple of goals in?

Stevie g 8

wexford in 2008 in the leinster championship was one of the best turnarounds i ever saw.what was the deficit in the 1994 hurling final between offally and limerick

haze

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on August 08, 2011, 04:46:45 PM
wexford in 2008 in the leinster championship was one of the best turnarounds i ever saw.what was the deficit in the 1994 hurling final between offally and limerick

Offaly 5 five down with 5 to play and won 6. Some turnaround. I'll never forget the faces of some of the Limerick fans leaving that match.

AZOffaly

naka

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 08, 2011, 04:17:47 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on August 08, 2011, 03:44:34 PM

Was that not the game that Denis Holywood scored a couple of goals in?
it was
felt really sorry for fermanagh manager that they--he was in tears at the end

GalwayBayBoy

We were 0-7 to 0-0 down to Kerry in the 2000 AI final and the game eventually finished 0-14 all. We should have won it at the death too. Still sick over that one.

I also remember the Galway hurlers being 9 points up at half-time against Kilkenny in 97 I think before a DJ inspired 2nd half comeback.

Hard to beat the 1994 hurling final though for dramatic comebacks.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2011, 05:26:12 PM
We were 0-7 to 0-0 down to Kerry in the 2000 AI final and the game eventually finished 0-14 all. We should have won it at the death too. Still sick over that one.

I also remember the Galway hurlers being 9 points up at half-time against Kilkenny in 97 I think before a DJ inspired 2nd half comeback.

Hard to beat the 1994 hurling final though for dramatic comebacks.

dublin were about 10 behind against kerry in thurles in 2001 in the first game and came back to draw.