Largest deficit over turned?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 08, 2011, 12:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 10, 2011, 12:13:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2011, 01:59:08 PM
Wasn't there a big comeback in a Meath-Wexford game a couple of years back?

Can't remember who came back or who won!
the game was the same day derry went to ballybofey and won, wexford won as they played in the leinster final that year, but I can't remember if it was they who threw away the lead but ultimately prevailed or if meath threw away the lead.  It was May 2008 iirc.

Meath posters??

No - sorry - can't remember.

We've had so many, they all blur into one.

Jinxy

Do Wexford even have a football team?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 10, 2011, 11:39:39 AM
Any of my Rossie mates out there?
A few years ago in a Connacht semi-final, Galway had built up a huge lead at half time.  I just can't recall the details now but it was an absolutely cat day in the Hyde. Roscommon had performed so badly in the first half that it seemed Galway could start making plans for the final.
However, the sheepophiles had other ideas and came out fighting when the game restarted. Galway didn't know what hit them. Even making allowances for the weather, Roscommon deserved great credit for their second half display.  They won with several points to spare.
I think this happened in 2004 but I'm not sure.

I can't remember us losing to Roscommon in championship since the 2001 game. In 2004 I think we lost the semi to Mayo. Did we not go 1-3 to 0-0 up after 5 minutes but got overhauled.

ross4life

A few years ago in a Connacht semi-final, Galway had built up a huge lead at half time.  I just can't recall the details now but it was an absolutely cat day in the Hyde. Roscommon had performed so badly in the first half that it seemed Galway could start making plans for the final.
However, the sheepophiles had other ideas and came out fighting when the game restarted. Galway didn't know what hit them. Even making allowances for the weather, Roscommon deserved great credit for their second half display.  They won with several points to spare.

2006 we almost held Galway scoreless at HT they got a dodgy free 3mins into injury time to make it 6-1 then they went goal crazy in the 2nd half. Sligo had a big lead over us in 1998 & Galways minors also had big lead in 08 but i can't recall a senior comeback v them.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on August 10, 2011, 04:10:16 PM

2006 we almost held Galway scoreless at HT they got a dodgy free 3mins into injury time to make it 6-1 then they went goal crazy in the 2nd half. Sligo had a big lead over us in 1998 & Galways minors also had big lead in 08 but i can't recall a senior comeback v them.
It was 1-14 ro 0-10 with 8 mins left and MM took off 3 Sligo players at once and unsettled our team, ros scored 2-2 and went a 1pt ahead, we equalised with 45 and lost replay by a 1pt.

Sligo 2-9 to 0-10 down to Armagh in 2002 with 6 mins left and just got a man sent off and came back to draw, did something similar to Kildare in Markievicz qualifier to win. Obviously Galway replay last yr was an exciting comeback with 3 mins left and 3 down.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2011, 02:50:05 PM

Well at least they gave Limerick a decent game the last time they played them.

Gabriel

Already mentioned but bizarre to think it actually happened - 2003 Ulster Final, Tyrone were nine points behind early in the second half against Down who had been reduced to fourteen players before half-time. When Down got their third goal (Liam Doyle?) to go nine ahead Paddy O'Rourke started jumping up and down the sideline like a fool in front of Mickey Harte... of course Tyrone hauled the deficit back and mauled Down by 15 in the replay. Tyrone went on to win the All-Ireland, Down lost heavily to Donegal in their next game.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 12, 2011, 12:18:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2011, 02:50:05 PM

Well at least they gave Limerick a decent game the last time they played them.

Fair play to them.
We actually beat Limerick the last time we played them in the championship Michael.
Google is your friend.  ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Was reading a piece by McEniff in the Donegal Democrat recently. He says that in the 1974 Ulster Final replay, Donegal came from nine points down with twelve minutes left to win by three! Surely that must be up there in terms of amazing comebacks in big games?