Largest deficit over turned?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 08, 2011, 12:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

1986 All Ireland final. Kerry 7 points down, would have been 9 if Tyrone scored a goal from a penalty instead of a point, Kerry won by 8.

ross4life

Quote from: Onlooker on August 08, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Tipperary minors were 11 points behind Kerry in the first half of the Munster Semi Final and 10 points behind at half time, but won by a point.  Armagh minors pulled back a very big lead against Down.  I am not sure of the lead that Down had, but AFAIK it was in the 10 points region. Only for an unlucky extra time defeat for Armagh by Roscommon the All Ireland Quarter Final, Tipp and Armagh would have met in the All Ireland Semi Final in 2 weeks time.  That would have been a game to look forward to.
What has your last piece got to do with the largest deficit over turned & does that mean your not looking forward to the semi final now?

Going back to the topic i bet Meath over turned some big scores.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

blast05

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 12:04:06 PM
Just wondering what the largest deficit ye remember being turned around?
Mayo were 12 points down to Dublin in the league this year and got back to level terms but then lost the game.
6 down to cork the last day, 7 to the dubs in '06 and was it 7 to Galway in '04?

There was also some game there in the mid 90's that we were 6 points up but we drew that thank God  :-\

Edit: maybe keep it to intercounty

I thought we were 14 down against Dublin at one stage in the league this year... not 'just' 12 !

mannix

i played in a junior game in dublin in the late nineties where we were losing by 22 points at half time and won by a point. we had a fella playing the second half that was lets just say not very junior in the skills department. anyway the herald refused to accept the scoreline, outlandish amount of goals.

mylestheslasher

Cavan were 7 behind wicklow in the qualifiers last year and down to 13 men and won by a point.

Kerry Mike

86 a clear winner we did it on the biggest stage not some junior b game and Spillane was the main man.  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

David McKeown

Quote from: naka on August 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 08, 2011, 04:17:47 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on August 08, 2011, 03:44:34 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 08, 2011, 12:07:44 PM
Armagh were at least 7 down to Fermanagh at the Athletic Grounds in the early 90's with 5 minutes to go and won by a point.

It was 9 points down with around 5-6 minutes to go. Fermanagh were a bit cocky and brought on some young lads as a run-out. Armagh more-or-less having given up on the sidelines brought on Barry O'Hagan to give him a debut. Barry got the ball wide and ran at the defence. Even though Armagh needed goals badly, Barry hit the ball over the bar. To be honest he just looked like he wanted a score on his championship début. The rest of the team looked at him like he was an idiot. Anyway from the kickout the ball went to midfield where it was fielded and then booted forward - Goal. few minutes left and now five points in it. Grimley was moved to full forward from midfield and the result was pretty much two kickouts, two catches, two punts forward and two net busters.

Armagh won by a point and if it hadn't been for O'Hagan's point it would have been a draw at best. The Athletic Grounds was half empty by the time the final whistle was blown as a lot of Armagh fans had left early in disgust. I passed lots of orange flags that had been thrown in the hedges and ditches as I left the ground. I was thinking that I bet those guys wished they had stayed and never thrown their flags away.

I believe the game was 1993.
Was that not the game that Denis Holywood scored a couple of goals in?
it was
felt really sorry for fermanagh manager that they--he was in tears at the end

That was my first championship game in the athletic grounds and probably accounts for my love affair with county football. Remember meeting people outside after who wouldn't believe me Armagh had won
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Onlooker

Quote from: ross4life on August 08, 2011, 05:44:52 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on August 08, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Tipperary minors were 11 points behind Kerry in the first half of the Munster Semi Final and 10 points behind at half time, but won by a point.  Armagh minors pulled back a very big lead against Down.  I am not sure of the lead that Down had, but AFAIK it was in the 10 points region. Only for an unlucky extra time defeat for Armagh by Roscommon the All Ireland Quarter Final, Tipp and Armagh would have met in the All Ireland Semi Final in 2 weeks time.  That would have been a game to look forward to.
What has your last piece got to do with the largest deficit over turned & does that mean your not looking forward to the semi final now?

Going back to the topic i bet Meath over turned some big scores.
Just a comment that 2 teams that had appeared to be definitely out of the Championship at an early stage almost met in an All Ireland Semi Final.  Certainly looking forward to the game with Roscommon and meant no offence to any Ros players or supporters.  I note the bookies have RN installed as favourites to reach the final with Dublin the hottest of favourites in the other semi.

blanketattack

Quote from: blast05 on August 08, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 12:04:06 PM
Just wondering what the largest deficit ye remember being turned around?
Mayo were 12 points down to Dublin in the league this year and got back to level terms but then lost the game.
6 down to cork the last day, 7 to the dubs in '06 and was it 7 to Galway in '04?

There was also some game there in the mid 90's that we were 6 points up but we drew that thank God  :-\

Edit: maybe keep it to intercounty

I thought we were 14 down against Dublin at one stage in the league this year... not 'just' 12 !

It was 14 points. 4-4 to 0-2 after 23 minutes. And that was without B Brogan who had missed his flight after meeting Barack Obama in the White House.

Shamrock Shore

1999 Leinster champ agin Wexford in a wet and windy Enniscorthy.

10 points down early doors second half - managed to get a draw and won the replay in Longford.

J70

Wasn't there a big comeback in a Meath-Wexford game a couple of years back?

Can't remember who came back or who won!

Lar Naparka

Any of my Rossie mates out there?
A few years ago in a Connacht semi-final, Galway had built up a huge lead at half time.  I just can't recall the details now but it was an absolutely cat day in the Hyde. Roscommon had performed so badly in the first half that it seemed Galway could start making plans for the final.
However, the sheepophiles had other ideas and came out fighting when the game restarted. Galway didn't know what hit them. Even making allowances for the weather, Roscommon deserved great credit for their second half display.  They won with several points to spare.
I think this happened in 2004 but I'm not sure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2011, 01:59:08 PM

the game was the same day derry went to ballybofey and won, wexford won as they played in the leinster final that year, but I can't remember if it was they who threw away the lead but ultimately prevailed or if meath threw away the lead.  It was May 2008 iirc.

Meath posters??

squire_in_navy_slacks

Wexford.........................53 mins gone meath 10 or 11 clear, wexford came back and won by 1.................... i had the royals backed, money spent and everything

Jinxy

Me neither.
It must have been us, after all we are the comeback kings.
NEXT!
If you were any use you'd be playing.