Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

My neighbour reckons it'd be better to lose this one than lose a final. Honestly I don't know how we'll evre achieve anything at that rate. Some buck said the same thing after losing to Longford last year! ???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 20, 2011, 04:31:12 PM
My neighbour reckons it'd be better to lose this one than lose a final. Honestly I don't know how we'll evre achieve anything at that rate. Some buck said the same thing after losing to Longford last year! ???

Arra, tell your neighbour to go milk a bull or anything at all that'll stop him fretting about tomorrow. If he's been moaning like that since Longford, it's time he took a break.
Did ye tell him that our man in charge tomorrow had no problems with Kerry when he came up against them in an AI semi?
Tell that hoor that there are nearly thirty counties that would love to be in our shoes tomorrow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Frank Casey

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 20, 2011, 05:34:17 PM
there are nearly thirty counties that would love to be in our shoes tomorrow.

Or quaking in your boots!

Its not an arrogance of Kerry's that they expect to win tomorrow, its a confidence achieved through certainty as to their preparation and ability, as well as previous success. This is how the supporters feel and this reflects on the team too.

The constant switching between I think we can do it  to I hope we can do it  to holding it to 4 would be progress  to I hope we don't get tanked  is amazing to behold. I posted before the Cork match that Mayo often seek to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse - my point then being that as provincial champions they should have some confidence. Is it beyond the bounds of possibility that the conflicted views of the supporters could reflect, even influence, the team's views.

Kerry by 4, and hopefully by 5 to cover the bookies spread.
KERRY 3:7

Cosmo Kramer

So the flags are flying and plenty of normally indifferent people are getting excited again. I only barely managed to get a ticket for one of the trains up to Dublin tomorrow. But where the hell was everyone else when there was maybe 2000 of us on the pitch in the Hyde just over a month ago? Or when I was looking around a 70% empty Croke Park on the last day of July? Or in Longford last year? Sometimes I wish the bandwagoners would just shag off and leave the dedicated supporters to get on with it, I'm not sure they add anything at all other than crowd trains and take tickets away from genuine fans. But the feckers will be in Croke Park in force tomorrow with their expert opinions on Mayo football ready to tell everyone where we went wrong on the line if we lose as if the players and management somehow owe it to them for turning up once or twice every five years or so.

Anyway, beyond that admittedly pointless rant that I felt the need to get off my chest, all I want is for the lads to go out tomorrow and give it every last ounce of energy they've got - I know we'll get that from them. It's a lot to expect this team to come from where we were this time last year and go and beat Cork and Kerry back to back in Croke Park. Rome wasn't built in a day and it doesn't need to be, this is a young Mayo team with a fair few good years in front of them now. We really do need to avoid a trimming tomorrow, that is the only outcome that could do serious damage to this squad. Hopefully we will get the win but if we don't I just hope the team will be left to build on the progress this year which should be seen as a success regardless given the mess we have emerged from to get to this stage.

In terms of the selection I'm happy enough with the same 15 going out again, would have liked to see Doherty start but then its good to have something left in reserve to call on in the second half and I think he has something big in him, although we may not see it this year. In terms of the Kerry forward line, it think its more about how we set up rather than the individuals we pick. If I see Alan Freeman mopping up ball in the full back line again and Keith Higgins bombing forward on the break then I'll know we're doing something right. As can probably be seen from this post I have a feeling this might be a step too far too soon for this team but I think we can do ourselves proud and at least let Kerry know they will have earned their All-Ireland Final place if they win.

MaigheoAbu
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Farrandeelin

That rant of yours is exactly what's been doing the rounds in my own head as well Cosmo Kramer. Now I never bring flags of any kind to games with me (apart from AIs) but the load of shagging flags that's flying from all the car windows for the past three weeks, you'd swear this was a final by the way everyone's lepping on the bandwagon. And as for them going to club games saying such and such is probably better than him, well let's not go there!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

oneoftheseyears

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on August 20, 2011, 06:03:58 PM
So the flags are flying and plenty of normally indifferent people are getting excited again. I only barely managed to get a ticket for one of the trains up to Dublin tomorrow. But where the hell was everyone else when there was maybe 2000 of us on the pitch in the Hyde just over a month ago? Or when I was looking around a 70% empty Croke Park on the last day of July? Or in Longford last year? Sometimes I wish the bandwagoners would just shag off and leave the dedicated supporters to get on with it, I'm not sure they add anything at all other than crowd trains and take tickets away from genuine fans. But the feckers will be in Croke Park in force tomorrow with their expert opinions on Mayo football ready to tell everyone where we went wrong on the line if we lose as if the players and management somehow owe it to them for turning up once or twice every five years or so.

Anyway, beyond that admittedly pointless rant that I felt the need to get off my chest, all I want is for the lads to go out tomorrow and give it every last ounce of energy they've got - I know we'll get that from them. It's a lot to expect this team to come from where we were this time last year and go and beat Cork and Kerry back to back in Croke Park. Rome wasn't built in a day and it doesn't need to be, this is a young Mayo team with a fair few good years in front of them now. We really do need to avoid a trimming tomorrow, that is the only outcome that could do serious damage to this squad. Hopefully we will get the win but if we don't I just hope the team will be left to build on the progress this year which should be seen as a success regardless given the mess we have emerged from to get to this stage.

In terms of the selection I'm happy enough with the same 15 going out again, would have liked to see Doherty start but then its good to have something left in reserve to call on in the second half and I think he has something big in him, although we may not see it this year. In terms of the Kerry forward line, it think its more about how we set up rather than the individuals we pick. If I see Alan Freeman mopping up ball in the full back line again and Keith Higgins bombing forward on the break then I'll know we're doing something right. As can probably be seen from this post I have a feeling this might be a step too far too soon for this team but I think we can do ourselves proud and at least let Kerry know they will have earned their All-Ireland Final place if they win.

MaigheoAbu

Post of the year!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: southsidejohnny on August 19, 2011, 06:27:32 PM
Like a ghost hanging around a foggy lake Sligonian reappears. Gone from Hogan Stand due to his own turning on him, he clanks around Gaaboard.com rattling his tin of misery and hate towards his betters in Connacht. Why wouldn't he hate Mayo..and Galway and Roscommon and Leitrim. They are all better than his own sad county. I recently saw on another post they have yet to win a Connacht U21 title. Like farmer2 old Sligonian looks across Killala bay through green tinted glasses. Be gone bitter lad and take your misery with you boy. Away with you to the lake Isle of Innisfree where ...ah you know yourself...a thingy majig of clay and wattles made.
You must of missed the come back Sligonian thread on Hoganstand :D
Id take the Isle of Innisfree over the bogs of mayo anyday 8) Sligo is very far from a sad county, as Yeats called Sligo the Land of Hearts Desire...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

oneoftheseyears

I agree with you Sligo is a beautiful County.... but you?...... Maybe you would  be better off commenting on Home and Away... Or Cricket or the Meaning of Life. I dont know ..... How about Big Brother??? Or maybe...... 8)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 20, 2011, 04:31:12 PM

Your neighbours are wrong its better to be slaughtered in Provincial than getting knocked out after a first round + first round qualifier, better to be knocked out after a Semi than a Quarter or a Final than a Semi no matter the difference. Thats the truth.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 20, 2011, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 20, 2011, 05:34:17 PM
there are nearly thirty counties that would love to be in our shoes tomorrow.

Or quaking in your boots!

Its not an arrogance of Kerry's that they expect to win tomorrow, its a confidence achieved through certainty as to their preparation and ability, as well as previous success. This is how the supporters feel and this reflects on the team too.

The constant switching between I think we can do it  to I hope we can do it  to holding it to 4 would be progress  to I hope we don't get tanked  is amazing to behold. I posted before the Cork match that Mayo often seek to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse - my point then being that as provincial champions they should have some confidence. Is it beyond the bounds of possibility that the conflicted views of the supporters could reflect, even influence, the team's views.

Kerry by 4, and hopefully by 5 to cover the bookies spread.

If it was down to swet put in by Mayo fans and Kerry fans, it would be Mayo by 15, don't talk shite and don't take credit for your team. Its Mayo V Kerry not Mayo fans V Kerry fans. Now on the teams, the current Kerry team of 2011 has done nothing that the Mayo team of 2011 hasn't done. So Mayo and her fans have as much right to be confident.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 20, 2011, 08:27:01 PM
Like a ghost hanging around a foggy lake Sligonian reappears. Gone from Hogan Stand due to his own turning on him, he clanks around Gaaboard.com rattling his tin of misery and hate towards his betters in Connacht. Why wouldn't he hate Mayo..and Galway and Roscommon and Leitrim. They are all better than his own sad county. I recently saw on another post they have yet to win a Connacht U21 title. Like farmer2 old Sligonian looks across Killala bay through green tinted glasses. Be gone bitter lad and take your misery with you boy. Away with you to the lake Isle of Innisfree where ...ah you know yourself...a thingy majig of clay and wattles made.
Id take the Isle of Innisfree over the bogs of mayo anyday 8) Sligo is very far from a sad county, as Yeats called Sligo the Land of Hearts Desire...

Mayo has got Bogs, yes we do, ones the size of County Laois, and that's just in one corner, we have the highest Cliffs in the European Union, we have the biggest Island in Ireland, we have the Drumlin Belt, we have the highest mountain in Connacht – Mweelrea, the second highest Neiphin, the third highest Croagh Patrick, we have Ireland's highest visitor attraction Knock, we have an International Airport, we have small lakes like Bilberry and Lannagh, we have grand lakes like Cullin, Mask, Carra and Conn, we have beautiful grand Castles like Ashford, Gaelic fortresses like Rockfleet, 13 Blue Flag Beaches, tourist Meccas like Westport, Newport and Lousiburg, Abbey's like Cong and Ballintubber, Plains of Mayo, Stone Walls and Grass is Green, Clew Bay, Killala Bay, Blacksod Bay, Ireland's only Fjiord in Killery, Natural Gass, Gold Reserves, An Taoiseach, a recent President, 3 All-Irelands, 11 League Titles, 43 Connacht titles, many national and Connacht club, U-21, minor, ladies and junior titles, the f**ker off X-factor who you are probably watching, We beat Galway out the gate in hurling – even if it was 100 years ago, Ireland longest coast, the Island mountain of Clare, the third biggest county, the third most GAA clubs, the best spot for future electricity generation from wind and sea power, the finest fucken people in Ireland, the finest fucken county in Ireland, so take it Sligoboy and jog on.

ludermor

And we have some of the finest gobshites in the country

Jinxy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 20, 2011, 09:20:22 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 20, 2011, 08:27:01 PM

Mayo has got Bogs, yes we do, ones the size of County Laois, and that's just in one corner, we have the highest Cliffs in the European Union, we have the biggest Island in Ireland, we have the Drumlin Belt, we have the highest mountain in Connacht – Mweelrea, the second highest Neiphin, the third highest Croagh Patrick, we have Ireland's highest visitor attraction Knock, we have an International Airport, we have small lakes like Bilberry and Lannagh, we have grand lakes like Cullin, Mask, Carra and Conn, we have beautiful grand Castles like Ashford, Gaelic fortresses like Rockfleet, 13 Blue Flag Beaches, tourist Meccas like Westport, Newport and Lousiburg, Abbey's like Cong and Ballintubber, Plains of Mayo, Stone Walls and Grass is Green, Clew Bay, Killala Bay, Blacksod Bay, Ireland's only Fjiord in Killery, Natural Gass, Gold Reserves, An Taoiseach, a recent President, 3 All-Irelands, 11 League Titles, 43 Connacht titles, many national and Connacht club, U-21, minor, ladies and junior titles, the f**ker off X-factor who you are probably watching, We beat Galway out the gate in hurling – even if it was 100 years ago, Ireland longest coast, the Island mountain of Clare, the third biggest county, the third most GAA clubs, the best spot for future electricity generation from wind and sea power, the finest fucken people in Ireland, the finest fucken county in Ireland, so take it Sligoboy and jog on.

:D

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

2000 mayo fans on the hyde park pitch a month ago.. really?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ludermor on August 20, 2011, 09:32:02 PM
And we have some of the finest gobshites in the country

Pretty petty if ya want to carry political arguments into the football section.