Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 20, 2011, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 20, 2011, 05:34:17 PM
there are nearly thirty counties that would love to be in our shoes tomorrow.

Or quaking in your boots!

Its not an arrogance of Kerry's that they expect to win tomorrow, its a confidence achieved through certainty as to their preparation and ability, as well as previous success. This is how the supporters feel and this reflects on the team too.

The constant switching between I think we can do it  to I hope we can do it  to holding it to 4 would be progress  to I hope we don't get tanked  is amazing to behold. I posted before the Cork match that Mayo often seek to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse - my point then being that as provincial champions they should have some confidence. Is it beyond the bounds of possibility that the conflicted views of the supporters could reflect, even influence, the team's views.

Kerry by 4, and hopefully by 5 to cover the bookies spread.

"Or quaking in your boots!"

I must say I can't follow you here.
I have no intention of quaking in my boots  and I see no reason why anyone else should; that was the point I was making to Farrandeelin about his neighbour.
I think Mayo got to where they are on merit and have no apologies to make to anyone.
It's a fine achievement and I feel many others would gladly swap places with us if they got the chance.

"Its not an arrogance of Kerry's that they expect to win tomorrow, its a confidence achieved through certainty as to their preparation and ability, as well as previous success. This is how the supporters feel and this reflects on the team too."

I have no issue with that; none whatever. I have genuine respect for  the Kerry team and I think they have a great bunch of supporters-mighty folks for the craic and most are gracious in defeat and very few go overboard in victory. Team and supporters set a standard that many others can't match.

"The constant switching between I think we can do it  to I hope we can do it  to holding it to 4 would be progress  to I hope we don't get tanked  is amazing to behold. I posted before the Cork match that Mayo often seek to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse - my point then being that as provincial champions they should have some confidence. Is it beyond the bounds of possibility that the conflicted views of the supporters could reflect, even influence, the team's views."

Here I do have issues; ass loads of them in fact..
There are well over 60 Mayo posters on this board and it's inconceivable that all could be expected to share a common view. I don't recall anyone saying we would wallop Kerry and, at the other end of the expectations' scale, I don't think a single one has said we'd be hockeyed off the field. ASFAIK, all posters fit in somewhere between those extremes.
I think Mayo can win tomorrow and I imagine quite a few other Mayo heads agree with me. That's a long way short of saying I expect them to win, come what may. Others may be more optimistic than me and most probably less sanguine.
So what?  Divergences of opinion are to be expected across such a large number of individuals but I can find no trace of "constant switching."
And if you do go looking for doom merchants amongst us, keep in mind that some posts could be best described as being of the tongue in cheek variety.
Many other non-Mayo poster refer to this yo yo effect but I'm damned if I can find any evidence of it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

borderfox

C'mon Mayo. Fingers crossed you can do it  ;)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Frank Casey

Lar Naparka,

My point, if inelequently put, was this, that I cannot understand how many (but not all I admit) Mayo people doubt their team and by extension if this influences the team itself.

I, personally, believe that a positive vibe for the supporters is an essential part of any teams success. This doesn't mean pie in the sky dreaming will overcome all but you still have to believe. Stoic acceptance of we've done well to be here is cr*p.

For what its worth I believe that Kerry will prevail, but not until after a titanic battle. I believe, and hope, that my friends and relations in Mayo will take something more than a we competed from tomorrow and learn from it.

Our most recent meetings in AI finals were after Tyrone lessons, we used those against you to prevail.

Anyway half rambling and time to bed to get the tractor ready in the morning.
KERRY 3:7

muppet

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 21, 2011, 12:40:21 AM
Lar Naparka,

My point, if inelequently put, was this, that I cannot understand how many (but not all I admit) Mayo people doubt their team and by extension if this influences the team itself.

I, personally, believe that a positive vibe for the supporters is an essential part of any teams success. This doesn't mean pie in the sky dreaming will overcome all but you still have to believe. Stoic acceptance of we've done well to be here is cr*p.

For what its worth I believe that Kerry will prevail, but not until after a titanic battle. I believe, and hope, that my friends and relations in Mayo will take something more than a we competed from tomorrow and learn from it.

Our most recent meetings in AI finals were after Tyrone lessons, we used those against you to prevail.

Anyway half rambling and time to bed to get the tractor ready in the morning.

Read my lips signature which hasn't changed since we lost to Longford last year.
MWWSI 2017

maigheo

good post cosmo kramer.One thing that has always driven me crazy is when i hear mayo fans saying after a championship victory that we will go no further or saying after a loss that it was just as well we lost as it would save us a thrashing in croker.The important thing is to keep winning,no matter how badly  we play and one of those years we will surprise ourselves and take home sam .Looking forward to tomorrows clash  and the general consensus for Mayo to win is we have to be extremly defensive for the first 20 min and keep the score close at ht and since we are a second half team we will push on and run the legs off an aging kerry team,but usually things do not go to plan and we will probably see something quite different.I would hope that Horan will have Mayo carry the fight to Kerry from the off and maybe turn the tables and blitz kerry for the opening 20 min rayher than sitting back in a defensive shell and waiting for kerry to come at us.I am sure Horan has thought of all the scenarios that could unfold and will have Mayo primed for battle and if we lose by 1 point or 15 points it will make no difference as we will be out of the race for Sam and next year will seem a long ways away.By the way there was an excellent piece in yesterdays examiner by Kieran Shannon about Horan and his analysis of the 1996 all-ireland.

ardchieftain

Best of luck Mayo. From a nuetrals point of view i just hope both teams are in with a shout with 10 minutes to go.

An Gaeilgoir

About to hit the road. The nerves have started already. The talking is nearly over, safe journey to all travelling.

Maigh Eo Abu!!!

ballinaman

Any board members welcome to pop into the gaf if stuck for the jacks or a pint, next to sheils off licence by the canal just off dorset street, ye'll see the flags from the windows :D

Orangemac

Best of luck to Mayo today. Would be great to see yous win.

Wish Armagh were in this position. Days like this are what it's all about. The tension, the inability to concentrate on anything else, the looking out for anything that resembles a good luck omen.

Farrandeelin

No pro7b ballinaman. Offers like that are hard to refuse in fairness!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Kerry Mike

Come on ye boys in blue....

have a feeling we are going to be good today. Its been building up nicely in training with good focus on the game today. Rock on 3pm
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

Just polishing off the fryup. Talk later.

southsidejohnny

I like Jinxys photograph of the Mayo men panning for gold on the land they "took" from the poor old Meath people. None of course mention that most of the Meath team hail from the sons of what was known as "The Colonists". Even O Rourke is not a Meath man, born in Edgewardstown and Leitrim reared I just find most Meath crowd bitter and the rest funny...in a stupid way.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on August 21, 2011, 09:13:29 AM

Just polishing off the fryup. Talk later.

Good luck on the road, moy. Hope your journey is worthwhile. ;D

Safe travel to everyone heading to either game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi