Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

I know he was picked on the team but how fit is Darran O'Sullivan? as we know he pulled his hamstring v Limerick & that usually takes longer than 3 weeks. He's been Kerrys best forward this year & his level of fitness could make all the difference.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

oneoftheseyears

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 19, 2011, 09:14:40 PM
A Kerryman and an Englishman - sure who could tell one from the other?
Maybe I am missing some irony or humour........ WAY off the mark? No?

Farrandeelin

Poor Mike Sheehy and his annoyance of the antipathy that we have for Kerry. The reason is we're sick of ye. Happy now. Generally whenever Kerry are beaten in my house we all are happy. It's just that ye have had so much success down the years and nothing about 04/06 whatever you might think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

best of luck to Mayo on sunday, Tyrone figured kerry out, hoping Mayo do too.

blast05

QuoteI must say the Mayo crowd do pre-game hubris like no other...go from "we haven't a hope" to "We'll deshtroy the f*ckers" in the blink of an eye!

As insightful a comment as is on this thread.  It pains me to fully agree with it. In the space of a week we've gone from trying to be clever and make out that we're underdogs to banging the chest and saying we are going to win (broad sweeping brush being applied here).
By any level of analysis there is no way Mayo could be considered as anything other than long odds outsiders.... and yet the process continues. It will continue tomorrow night as the Mayo masses start gathering in various Dublin watering holes and by the time a few pints are had before the match on Sunday we will have ourselves convinced that victory is the only possible outcome.
I've been here too often and I'm afraid, very afraid. I passionately hope that I am wrong but I just cant see our much talked-up defence having a hope of handling the Kerry forwards and even if we clean them out at midfield 70:30 (a novice midfield pairing are going to wipe the floor against Kerry on the back of 1 performance ...requires a stretch of imagination to put it mildly) then still not good enough.
Typing from my phone too much of a pain to say more .... but come on fellow Mayo folk - reality check.

Sam2011

Quote from: blast05 on August 19, 2011, 11:18:04 PM
QuoteI must say the Mayo crowd do pre-game hubris like no other...go from "we haven't a hope" to "We'll deshtroy the f*ckers" in the blink of an eye!

As insightful a comment as is on this thread.  It pains me to fully agree with it. In the space of a week we've gone from trying to be clever and make out that we're underdogs to banging the chest and saying we are going to win (broad sweeping brush being applied here).
By any level of analysis there is no way Mayo could be considered as anything other than long odds outsiders.... and yet the process continues. It will continue tomorrow night as the Mayo masses start gathering in various Dublin watering holes and by the time a few pints are had before the match on Sunday we will have ourselves convinced that victory is the only possible outcome.
I've been here too often and I'm afraid, very afraid. I passionately hope that I am wrong but I just cant see our much talked-up defence having a hope of handling the Kerry forwards and even if we clean them out at midfield 70:30 (a novice midfield pairing are going to wipe the floor against Kerry on the back of 1 performance ...requires a stretch of imagination to put it mildly) then still not good enough.
Typing from my phone too much of a pain to say more .... but come on fellow Mayo folk - reality check.

I haven't come across anyone from Mayo yet saying anything unrealistic in the past few weeks about our a game against Kerry. At the end of the day it's a 50-50 chance between these two teams. If each player gives everything they have then anyone can win.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!

blast05

Quote from: Sam2011 on August 19, 2011, 11:31:55 PM

I haven't come across anyone from Mayo yet saying anything unrealistic in the past few weeks about our a game against Kerry. At the end of the day it's a 50-50 chance between these two teams. If each player gives everything they have then anyone can win.

I dont agree that its 50:50 at all. Pick the best gaelic football team in Ireland at the moment and there will be 4 forwards from Kerry. Aside from Trevor Mort and Keith Higgins, I am not confident that any of the other backs can win their direct duals

diehard

blast05 - I am inclined to agree with you.  Mayo are underdogs and rightly so.  However an underdog is still a dog and thats the approach Mayo have to adopt on Sunday - dog them and hound them whever they go!  Otherwise the long journey home could be a real bitch ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: southsidejohnny on August 19, 2011, 06:27:32 PM
Like a ghost hanging around a foggy lake Sligonian reappears. Gone from Hogan Stand due to his own turning on him, he clanks around Gaaboard.com rattling his tin of misery and hate towards his betters in Connacht. Why wouldn't he hate Mayo..and Galway and Roscommon and Leitrim. They are all better than his own sad county. I recently saw on another post they have yet to win a Connacht U21 title. Like farmer2 old Sligonian looks across Killala bay through green tinted glasses. Be gone bitter lad and take your misery with you boy. Away with you to the lake Isle of Innisfree where ...ah you know yourself...a thingy majig of clay and wattles made.

Well if I never saw a truer case of the pot calling the little black!  :o

Mayo posters have a short memory.

That's ironic, hypocritical and pathetic coming from a so called Mayo supporter like yourself. Are u still calling for Dillon and Andy Horans head? I am even more surprised to see you have the nerve to post again with the same handle after the rubbish and criticism you went on about Mayo football only weeks ago.

I wouldn't bring it up but it was so far off the mark, hurtful and overboard I can't let it go.

Yourself and sligonian should find a rock to crawl back under. But I suppose you will stay on the bandwagon like a few others that stuck the boot in when things were bad.

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 28, 2011, 12:49:32 PM
I agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday, still the press gave Moran man of the match. I actually believe Mayo can kick on provided they drop those two. They bring nothing to the picnic. Free taking is abysmal. Anyway I know that Horan wont drop them and I know that the end is nigh.

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:48:23 PM
The day we start to move into the real world and stop fooling ourselves is the day we rise from our ever bended knee. I will always support the team and county. I will never ever paper over the utter and dire set up that currently passes for football in the county. From 1993-2005 we had teams in Croke park from the clubs every second year. Since then what? Time we woke up and saw where we are. Admitting the truth is the first step to recovery.

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Abbeysider...
Truly we have sunk and next Sunday will confirm the drop. Back door will nail it home.

Sam2011

Quote from: blast05 on August 19, 2011, 11:39:58 PM

I dont agree that its 50:50 at all. Pick the best gaelic football team in Ireland at the moment and there will be 4 forwards from Kerry. Aside from Trevor Mort and Keith Higgins, I am not confident that any of the other backs can win their direct duals

I really believe this game is 50-50 no matter what anyone says. I believe if you give everything you have in your body anything can happen. Maybe that is because I am a positive person and you maybe more negative than me. No question about it Kerry have the best forwards in the country. I think the O'Shea lads will put in a performance like they done against Cork so that will take the pressure off our backs. Trevor Mort and Keith Higgins are the only players we know anything about because they have been around a few years so I don't think you can judge the rest of the lads in their first year, give them and chance first. For some lads it takes a few years to hit your form e.g Darran O'Sullivan. Saying that though I do think they are very good and not overrated after all they did hold Cork to a point in the second half as well as other teams which will give them confidence. That is my opinion. Agree if you want won't bother me or the team at the end of the day.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on August 19, 2011, 11:39:58 PM

I can t remember any Mayo poster saying that ' we ll destroy the f**kers' or even close to that. If there are fans about that are saying that - and there s always a few - then they know nothing. Who heeds them?
On the ground most people are just hopeful at best. Our local Kerrymen, domiciled for 20-30 years are confident of a 7-8 point win and nobody is putting up too much of row with them.
I dont think Mayo fans think we are going to win. I would suggest we think we can/might/could win, rather than will/shall/must/have to win. The kerryman is in the shall zone for obvious and understandable reasons.
Damn it Blast, what are we supposed to do. Hide and not support the team. Not bother going, not hoping, not drinkin, talking or dreaming we could win? There s no use getting to this stage if we cant enjoy it without feeling guilty.  We re in the last 4 against the alpha team in the games history. There nearly 30 counties would love to have a team in an AI final and if they had they would be thinking they could win I m sure. I agree though that it is not a 50:50 game. A 70:30 maybe. But that s not too bad and coming from where we were a year ago its like having one of Willie Wonka s golden wrappers. There s a decent chance there. Rather than being apprehensive it sure as hell beats last 4 years. Best Summer since 06.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2011, 12:29:10 AM
Rather than being apprehensive it sure as hell beats last 4 years. Best Summer since 06.

+1 - The team have given us a great year, whatever happens on Sunday. Personally I'm just hoping they really charge at Kerry, really give them a good rattle. F*ck it, nothing to lose. Leave everything they have on the field and see what happens.

ross4life

Mayo have been playing at this level for years & years law of averages they are due another championship win over Kerry, lessons are sure to be learned from the 04,06 games & for the like's Higgins,McGarrity,Moran & Dillon this is a game to banish the bad memories somewhat.

For what it's worth i think Kerry will win this by a point or two but with odds of 4/1 still with some bookies i might have a few euros on my Connacht neighbours.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

I can't any sign of Mayo fans going over the top in any sense; either here or anywhere else.
This is being said alright but it's coming from interlopers who keep sniping away and  telling us: A) We're shite; B)We haven't a hope; C) We're mighty braggers: D) If the Kerry forwards click, we'll find ourselves driven back to the Ridge Pool and E) We're sh....   Ah, feck it, I've said that before, haven't I?

I am nor paranoid by any stretch of the imagination but I'll tell ye this; the f**kers are out to get us!
Sure, we know we're ballixed before a ball is kicked but so what?

Anyway, aren't we cursed by a priest so what's the point in hoping for anything except maybe no more than a ten point hiding- if we're lucky?

I was kinda half listening to an RTE podscast today when Paddy Prendergast said we were indeed and it could well be true. So all we can do is enjoy the day out and take our batin' like stout-hearted men from the County Mayo. We should be well-used to it by now, so we should.
"What's Another Year" and all that.

Ya know what?
Paddy's priest wasn't the only one to put a Jinx(y) on us; didn't the  Reverend Rector  of me own College do the same thing; so the fecker did.

When he heard that some of his least favourite Leaving Cert class were going to Castlebar for a trial for the minors, he strode into the room; told us to put the teacher down and sez he: " None of ye could kick shite off a rope even if ye stuck at it 'til Christmas. Y'know, as long as any of you laitchekoes think ye know anything about football, Mayo won't win a donkey derby."

I was going to ask him of an All Ireland was out of the question but, as he had a duster in his crubeen at the time and I knew from experience that he could move faster than I could, I kept me gob shut for once.
So there ye have it; Mayo haven't got a snowball's chance tomorrow.

(Mind you, if I could have kicked the shite outa him, I have taken me chances about an All Ireland.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mayo4Sam

But Lar, he had a fair point about not being able to kick shite off a rope?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me