Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 20, 2011, 02:23:40 AM
But Lar, he had a fair point about not being able to kick shite off a rope?

Yes, but he was talking about Knockmore.
MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

jaysus..lads are "sick of" kerry...more lads are pumped up, other lads are pessimistic, another Mayo lad is lashing out at a Sligo man and then another Mayo lad is having a pop at him. Its a meltdown !

Mayo fan at beginning of AI semi week

Mayo fan at end of AI semi week

the Deel Rover

:D aye and it's you that caused it.  any mayo supporter i know is more hopefully than anything else haven't seen many going around banging their chests saying we are going to win, for fcuk sake it's kerry we are playing but these are the days you have to enjoy and no matter what the result its progress on the last 3 years.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Chimley

Let's hope the game tomorrow surpasses the standard of the pre-match debate.

Mayo unchanged but there must be a few that are touch and go and I wouldnt be surprised to see a change or two from the published team. Kerry are holding Galvin back in reserve but I hear that he took full part in the training session in Killarney the other evening so he will certainly come off the bench at some point. I hope Mayo can keep with Kerry for the first half and the we will see where we really stand in the pecking order. It will either be a year too soon for the Mayo lads or a year too late for the Kerrymen.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 20, 2011, 07:35:25 AM
jaysus..lads are "sick of" kerry...more lads are pumped up, other lads are pessimistic, another Mayo lad is lashing out at a Sligo man and then another Mayo lad is having a pop at him. Its a meltdown !

Thanks a million, Mike.
This arrived by carrier pigeon this morning.
I was afraid you were still sulking but fair play to ye; ye're a good goat sport.

While I'm still in good humour, why don't you go back to thread ye started, so we can discuss yer neuroses,like I offered to do.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

I'd actually agree with what McHale said in the paper today.
Put Aidan O'Shea full forward and bring McGarrity into midfield.
It's vital Mayo get a good start and I think O'Shea could make a real nuisance of himself on the edge of the square.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

kevmy

O'Shea has been tried in FF and it didn't work. To change that now would be to completely change our game which wouldn't be good. Also I figure McG may not be fully fit for 70mins at the intensity that we are aiming for.

Horan's done well so far and I think he's pretty much right to have an unchanged team (only possible change would be Doherty for Varley)

bennydorano

Haven't read much of this thread, but my own thoughts are that it's Mayo's best chance in a long time to beat Kerry in a do or die game.  A few months ago I posted something along the lines of - why are Kerry part of big 2?  these past couple of years there's been constant talk of a team at the end of their cycle, talk of transition etc... I dont think they've improved their team in any shape or form over the last year or so, indeed they would be significantly weaker IMO, a very ordinary MF and a defence that hasn't covered itself in glory, they are still very strong up front and that (and the sight of the Kerry jersey) might be enough to get them past Mayo.  Before the Dublin v Tyrone game I would have said Kerry were more likely to get the tanking Tyrone got if they had've met a half decent team in the Q/F's, the Tyrone game will have knocked any complacency out of them and refocused their minds.  I really dont think they are the team they were, but they may still have enough for Mayo.  I'd love to see a Dublin v Kerry final - I really think the Dubs could give them a Tyrone type hiding if they click again (but I reckon Donegal will still have a big say).

macdanger2

I think Kerry will try to bitz Mayo in the first 20 minutes, if we can withstand that then we have a chance.

Word from Kerry is that both Enright & Galvin are fit - apparently Galvin's not going so well in training and was dropped on the back of tha. He'll have a point to prove when he comes on......

Great video of John Treacy, had never seen that before.

moysider

Quote from: bennydorano on August 20, 2011, 12:27:41 PM
Haven't read much of this thread, but my own thoughts are that it's Mayo's best chance in a long time to beat Kerry in a do or die game.  A few months ago I posted something along the lines of - why are Kerry part of big 2?  these past couple of years there's been constant talk of a team at the end of their cycle, talk of transition etc... I dont think they've improved their team in any shape or form over the last year or so, indeed they would be significantly weaker IMO, a very ordinary MF and a defence that hasn't covered itself in glory, they are still very strong up front and that (and the sight of the Kerry jersey) might be enough to get them past Mayo.  Before the Dublin v Tyrone game I would have said Kerry were more likely to get the tanking Tyrone got if they had've met a half decent team in the Q/F's, the Tyrone game will have knocked any complacency out of them and refocused their minds.  I really dont think they are the team they were, but they may still have enough for Mayo.  I'd love to see a Dublin v Kerry final - I really think the Dubs could give them a Tyrone type hiding if they click again (but I reckon Donegal will still have a big say).

Seen enough of those already. Apart from '76 they were huge disappointments on a par with Mayo-Kerry finals. In 06, in the expectation of another Dublin-Kerry Humphries published his book about the 'rivalry' between the two teams. That was funny.

oneoftheseyears

Newstalk coming from Rouses Pub in Ballina at the moment

http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

bucko

A day to go now and am getting jittery. I really hope the lads reproduce our performance against Cork plus 10-20% more for the full 70. If they do that, we'll be in with a very good chance. If not, Kerry will win. Simple as, no ifs, buts or maybes. I wouldn't be as pessimistic as Blast05, but still think we need to dominate possesion by at least 60/40 to win, even at that Kerry could still put up a decent score with 40% possesion. Heart saying Mayo, head saying Kerry to probably edge it. Saying that, I'm alot more optimistic going into tomorrow than I was going into the Cork match.

Sam2011

Jack O'Connor didn't seem to worried on the GAA show about Mayo, with him mixing his tea.
Whereas Donal Vaughan and James Horan seemed like two men on a mission. Just what we want to see. :)
Delighted to see Trevor Mort starting. Hope he is 100% fit though if he is to be marking Darran O'Sullivan or any Kerry forward.
Really excited now for the game. Five years is a long time to be waiting for a semi-final! I think us Mayo people are allowed to enjoy it and so what if people get carried away, who gives two flying f**ks, i don''t anyway! We've been starved the last few years!
The closer we get to the game the more i'm thinking the lads will pull it off on the day but, with our young speedy forwards, the two tanks in midfield, our mean defence and our second half record why the f**k not! Saying that, I do think it will be a tight squeeze in the end. Anyway whatever the result is on the day I will leave Croker proud to be from Mayo! These lads have a good future ahead of them and they are all very talented.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!