Ireland or God?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 29, 2011, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to be loyal to only one. Would it be Ireland or God?

Ireland
20 (46.5%)
God
23 (53.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on July 29, 2011, 04:03:02 PM
Around the world the words "Irish" and "Catholic" go hand in hand. There is a presumption (rightly or wrongly) that if you're Irish you have some faith. People have told me that when you know someone is Irish "you know what you're getting".
It's sad that this is no longer the case.
Why is it sad? What were people getting then that they don't get now?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 30, 2011, 02:55:58 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 30, 2011, 01:54:45 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on July 29, 2011, 04:03:02 PM
I don't believe there was any "fun" intended in the post at all. In fact it is quite sad that you would ask people to choose.
Separating religion from state does not mean you are choosing Ireland over God. It means you are recognising that no one group, organisation or institution can have an influence over the governing of the people of Ireland.

A long time ago I posted a thread about connectedness and allegiance. Most people agreed that you have more allegiance to your parish than to your country. That connectedness comes from people, the place, community and more often Gaelic Games. But in the midst of that has always been God. Maybe not for everyone but at least for most. Your parish is centered around the place of worship, it wouldn't exist in the terms you know it as today without that place of worship.

Around the world the words "Irish" and "Catholic" go hand in hand. There is a presumption (rightly or wrongly) that if you're Irish you have some faith. People have told me that when you know someone is Irish "you know what you're getting".
It's sad that this is no longer the case. The faith of Irish men and women has spread all over the world and helped forge communities and strengthen families everywhere. But today there seems little hope of that continuing. Not because of the failings of the Church, but because the same sheep mentality that the Church took advantage of throughout the centuries, is now being used by those who would see it crumble.

If you have faith in God and want to continue searching and growing in that faith, then don't stop because the majority think you're wrong. Many of the same majority will be calling for God on their death beds and thankful of your prayers.
Not so long ago Roman Catholics were persecuted for their faith and responded in great numbers and fought for that faith. Back then it was our planted neighbours who did the persecuting, now its "our own".

There is no excuse for what happened in the Church. But God is still God.
Well done, Iceman.
You have stated your case extremely well.

O ffs I didn't just reintroduce the Penal Laws did I  ::)

Ah come on, Magoo;  You are totally missing my point. ;D

Here is what I wrote:
"Well done, Iceman.
You have stated your case extremely well."

I don't personally agree with some of what he wrote and I don't think anything in the above implies that I do.
I can say the same just as readily about Nally Stand.
While I'm at it, Myles also uses a discernible form of logic as a framework for his opinions. (Like that? ;D)
He doesn't appear to agree with Iceman's point of view; does he?
A very high percentage of voters on this board tend to state their opinions clearly; a few don't appear to know the difference between a full stop and a bus stop.
So what? I can still follow their arguments as they usually give their reasons for stating them.
I couldn't possibly agree with them all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fer fox ache

Nally Stand I think it is allowable to take the piss out of people for their religious beliefs. If your faith is so weak as to be unable to bear a few smart arse remarks then it's not worth a pish.
The whole argument that you can't take the hand out of someone's religious beliefs is entirely subjective. Take for instance Scientology, most Christians will happily take the piss out of it with it's stories of aliens etc, but in truth it's no less farcical than a yarn about a man who was born of virgin, could walk on water and rose from the dead.
Religious belief is delusional and I reserve the right to mercilessly rip the pish out of it.

Maguire01

Should there be a right to not be offended?

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Nally Stand

Quote from: fer fox ache on July 30, 2011, 11:10:58 AM
Nally Stand I think it is allowable to take the piss out of people for their religious beliefs. If your faith is so weak as to be unable to bear a few smart arse remarks then it's not worth a pish.
The whole argument that you can't take the hand out of someone's religious beliefs is entirely subjective. Take for instance Scientology, most Christians will happily take the piss out of it with it's stories of aliens etc, but in truth it's no less farcical than a yarn about a man who was born of virgin, could walk on water and rose from the dead.
Religious belief is delusional and I reserve the right to mercilessly rip the pish out of it.

You are missing my point. This is nothing to do with me having faith either strong or weak. It is not even anything to do with faith at all. It is about double standards surrounding claims to not want to offend. MGHU claims he would not use certain language or phrases which could be seen as offensive yet he happily uses other phrases which could also be seen as highly offensive.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 30, 2011, 03:31:39 PM

You are missing my point. This is nothing to do with me having faith either strong or weak. It is not even anything to do with faith at all. It is about double standards surrounding claims to not want to offend. MGHU claims he would not use certain language or phrases which could be seen as offensive yet he happily uses other phrases which could also be seen as highly offensive.

Believeing in God is akin to claiming to be abducted by extraterrestrial aliens. The major difference being at least extraterrestrial aliens might exist, at least scientificaly possible and probable.

Hey Nallystand while neither God or the Free State actually exist, we have to at least acknowledge the Irish Free State existed at one time in the past, something God never did.

Believing in God is simply ridiculous and therefore fare game for ridicule.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Mike Sheehy

what does god look like ? Does he like Taytos ?

Farrandeelin

How do you know God doesn't exist mghu?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maguire01

He should have used this one:

trueblue1234

I reckon MGHU should get another thread started on Ireland or Money? Course we'd know his answer anyway considering he deserted for the Queens shilling.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 30, 2011, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 30, 2011, 03:31:39 PM

Believeing in God is akin to claiming to be abducted by extraterrestrial aliens. The major difference being at least extraterrestrial aliens might exist, at least scientificaly possible and probable.

Hey Nallystand while neither God or the Free State actually exist, we have to at least acknowledge the Irish Free State existed at one time in the past, something God never did.

Believing in God is simply ridiculous and therefore fare game for ridicule.

MGHU, you are only succeeding in showing a complete lack of tolerance and respect for people having faith in a God. As another poster said, it's like you take pleasure from trying to offend by being as dismissive, arrogant and condescending as possible towards people having a religious faith. As I said earlier, that makes a mockery of your stated aim of not wanting to offend people by using terms such as "free stater" and of your disdain for other people directing that term at you because it "offends" you.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 30, 2011, 11:33:58 PM
I reckon MGHU should get another thread started on Ireland or Money? Course we'd know his answer anyway considering he deserted for the Queens shilling.

Mmmmm not a potential bum like you, I choose work over the dole, because I love Ireland and don't believe in a false god to save me.

I am man, therefore I crush god with my baby finger.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.