Ireland or God?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 29, 2011, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to be loyal to only one. Would it be Ireland or God?

Ireland
20 (46.5%)
God
23 (53.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2011, 11:50:57 PM
No that is a picture outlining your view of people with faith in a religion.

So I will ask you AGAIN (that sounded familiar):

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call them a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?

Ireland/the World exists, God does not.[/b]
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 11:58:50 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2011, 11:50:57 PM
No that is a picture outlining your view of people with faith in a religion.

So I will ask you AGAIN (that sounded familiar):

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call them a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?

Ireland/the World exists, God does not.[/b]

You see MGHU, according to your beliefs, God doesn't exist, but according to many many others, He does. Your belittling of them for their beliefs is insulting. So I ask you AGAIN:

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call someone a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?

Please please please stay focused will you, and answer my specific question.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 30, 2011, 12:06:26 AM

but according to many many others, He does.

Well they are wrong.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 30, 2011, 12:09:19 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 30, 2011, 12:06:26 AM

but according to many many others, He does.

Well they are wrong.

And in their opinion, you are wrong. But who is right and who is wrong is not the point (try to get your head around that for a second.)

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not OK to call someone a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tyrones own

It's a fact that "Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves"
This and the abuse thread was built on nothing more than Crocodile tears  :'(
From the sheer detestable insults out of the English idiot here one can surely assume
that getting the boot in to a mans faith clearly takes precedence over any other issue... abuse included!
Now carry on... back to crying us a river lads  ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Iceman on July 29, 2011, 04:03:02 PM
I don't believe there was any "fun" intended in the post at all. In fact it is quite sad that you would ask people to choose.
Separating religion from state does not mean you are choosing Ireland over God. It means you are recognising that no one group, organisation or institution can have an influence over the governing of the people of Ireland.

A long time ago I posted a thread about connectedness and allegiance. Most people agreed that you have more allegiance to your parish than to your country. That connectedness comes from people, the place, community and more often Gaelic Games. But in the midst of that has always been God. Maybe not for everyone but at least for most. Your parish is centered around the place of worship, it wouldn't exist in the terms you know it as today without that place of worship.

Around the world the words "Irish" and "Catholic" go hand in hand. There is a presumption (rightly or wrongly) that if you're Irish you have some faith. People have told me that when you know someone is Irish "you know what you're getting".
It's sad that this is no longer the case. The faith of Irish men and women has spread all over the world and helped forge communities and strengthen families everywhere. But today there seems little hope of that continuing. Not because of the failings of the Church, but because the same sheep mentality that the Church took advantage of throughout the centuries, is now being used by those who would see it crumble.

If you have faith in God and want to continue searching and growing in that faith, then don't stop because the majority think you're wrong. Many of the same majority will be calling for God on their death beds and thankful of your prayers.
Not so long ago Roman Catholics were persecuted for their faith and responded in great numbers and fought for that faith. Back then it was our planted neighbours who did the persecuting, now its "our own".

There is no excuse for what happened in the Church. But God is still God.
Well done, Iceman.
You have stated your case extremely well.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Pangurban

I think Iceman speaks for the majority of Irish people, whereas MGHU speaks for a sad embittered minority who deny God, but are obsessed about religion. MGHU it does not matter if you believe in God, what matters is that he believes in you. Perhaps in future you will practise a little humanism and humility by according some respect for peoples beliefs, as you would expect them to respect yours. Your increasingly mocking posts, betray an inferiority complex, consumed by doubt, rationalisation and self loathing. Someone once said that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundre. The tone of your recent posts, is a fine example of the truth of this edict. Time to give it a rest Man

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Pangurban on July 30, 2011, 02:30:25 AM
I think Iceman speaks for the majority of Irish people, whereas MGHU speaks for a sad embittered minority who deny God, but are obsessed about religion. MGHU it does not matter if you believe in God, what matters is that he believes in you. Perhaps in future you will practise a little humanism and humility by according some respect for peoples beliefs, as you would expect them to respect yours. Your increasingly mocking posts, betray an inferiority complex, consumed by doubt, rationalisation and self loathing. Someone once said that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundre. The tone of your recent posts, is a fine example of the truth of this edict. Time to give it a rest Man

This level of delusion is breathtaking. I don't need your imaginary friend,  :D something which does not exist cannot believe in anything.

You believe because your mother and father told you what to believe, had they told you to believe in the flying telephone monkey you would believe in that with the same degree of delusion.

You are missing the point, it is not rationalisation, it is rational. I don't have any doubht, thats why I believe that those who would choose God over our country do not put the interests of our nation first.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 30, 2011, 01:54:45 AM
I don't believe there was any "fun" intended in the post at all. In fact it is quite sad that you would ask people to choose.
Separating religion from state does not mean you are choosing Ireland over God. It means you are recognising that no one group, organisation or institution can have an influence over the governing of the people of Ireland.

A long time ago I posted a thread about connectedness and allegiance. Most people agreed that you have more allegiance to your parish than to your country. That connectedness comes from people, the place, community and more often Gaelic Games. But in the midst of that has always been God. Maybe not for everyone but at least for most. Your parish is centered around the place of worship, it wouldn't exist in the terms you know it as today without that place of worship.

Around the world the words "Irish" and "Catholic" go hand in hand. There is a presumption (rightly or wrongly) that if you're Irish you have some faith. People have told me that when you know someone is Irish "you know what you're getting".
It's sad that this is no longer the case. The faith of Irish men and women has spread all over the world and helped forge communities and strengthen families everywhere. But today there seems little hope of that continuing. Not because of the failings of the Church, but because the same sheep mentality that the Church took advantage of throughout the centuries, is now being used by those who would see it crumble.

If you have faith in God and want to continue searching and growing in that faith, then don't stop because the majority think you're wrong. Many of the same majority will be calling for God on their death beds and thankful of your prayers.
Not so long ago Roman Catholics were persecuted for their faith and responded in great numbers and fought for that faith. Back then it was our planted neighbours who did the persecuting, now its "our own".

Well done, Iceman.
You have stated your case extremely well.

O ffs I didn't just reintroduce the Penal Laws did I  ::)

Nally Stand

MGHU, show some level of maturity here and stop dodging and ignoring the point. This is now the 7th time I have asked you to answer my straight forward question...

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not OK to call someone a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?

el_cuervo_fc

Nally I think it's quite clear that MGHU sees religion as an easy target and a way to wind people up. He has a personal vendetta against religion and isn't big enough to admit that he's trampling on people's beliefs for personal enjoyment.

He doesn't seem to want to answer your question as it is blatantly obvious what the answer is. He never even answered the red or black question FFS.

JUst retired

MGHU, are you saying the flying telephone monkey does not exist? Were my parents lying after all? :'(

Myles Na G.

Allegiance to a parish my arse. In fact, allegiance to a county my arse. Those are rural, GAA sentiments. I couldn't tell you the name of the parish I live in and I'm still not 100% sure of whether the part of Belfast I live in lies in Antrim or Down. I also don't think it's sad at all that more and more Irish people are choosing to throw off the shackles of the catholic faith. Any step away from organised religion is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Maguire01

Should people's religious beliefs in a thread like this be given more respect that people's political beliefs in those threads?

Maguire01

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 30, 2011, 08:07:45 AM
Allegiance to a parish my arse. In fact, allegiance to a county my arse. Those are rural, GAA sentiments.
Quite true to be fair - allegiance to parish (translated as 'club') and county are GAA sentiments.