Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 07, 2011, 09:16:15 PM
Why Shane???.

When do you think we should talk about it?? When we have slid back to a mid level county , settling for mediocrisy? ???

Wait until the SFC is over. For all we know the Dubs played their AIF yesterday.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2011, 11:27:16 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on August 07, 2011, 09:16:15 PM
Why Shane???.

When do you think we should talk about it?? When we have slid back to a mid level county , settling for mediocrisy? ???

Wait until the SFC is over. For all we know the Dubs played their AIF yesterday.

That would be my worry... If they can back that performance up (which they will have to to beat Donegal) then maybe they will.do it and fair play if they do. Imo they don't have it but never say never!!

ONeill

My regret is that, even underpar, Tyrone met the one team who'd defeat them at this stage. I'd have been very confident of beating Donegal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2011, 11:39:56 PM
My regret is that, even underpar, Tyrone met the one team who'd defeat them at this stage. I'd have been very confident of beating Donegal.

I think you're right there.

trileacman

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2011, 10:05:23 PM

Early days yet but would love to see a team like this starting the league next year:

Packie
Swift
McCarron
McCaul
McNabb
Justin
Red Sean
Cassidy
McKenna
S Cav
P Harte
Joe
Ronan O'Neill
Donnelly/SoN
Penrose

With guys like Gormley, Mugsy, Hub, Jordan still able to fit into the first 15 and coming in to steady the ship. Extremely selfish expecting these guys to hang around for little game time but would be excellent back up and experience.
IMO don't think those in bold are ready yet. McCarron has been weighed and found wanting repeatedly at IC level, wouldn't throw him the FB shirt anytime soon. McNabb has yet to make the step up, played no ball this year, a right way off currently. McKenna left the panel because he felt he couldn't offer 100 percent. Until that changes I don't think its fair to pressurise him into preforming. Advocating Ronan O'Neill ahead of Coney is madness. Coney was very good for us in the later stages. Besides that list leaves out McGuigan, jordan and gormley the 3 best players in thier respective roles. Also Colm who I thought had a great year is left out.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

INDIANA

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 08, 2011, 01:04:10 AM
For all we know the Dubs played their AIF yesterday.

+1

A real possibility!

You'd all love that anyway.

We've got a special delivery of monkeys due in from Ballinascreen tomorrow. There is obviously a lot Derry football can teach us. Well with their one all-ireland anyway.

tyroneman

I see Sean Cav in the Indo says of the Dubs "thier system of play was far superior to ours"

Is this a veiled call for MH to change tactics going forward?

DuffleKing

You're a gas man indy...

How is your prediction that the dubs + gilroy in particular aren't good enough and will be found out going?

sheamy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 01:39:22 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on August 08, 2011, 01:04:10 AM
For all we know the Dubs played their AIF yesterday.

+1

A real possibility!

You'd all love that anyway.

We've got a special delivery of monkeys due in from Ballinascreen tomorrow. There is obviously a lot Derry football can teach us. Well with their one all-ireland anyway.

Sober up lad

sheamy

Quote from: tyroneman on August 08, 2011, 07:21:15 AM
I see Sean Cav in the Indo says of the Dubs "thier system of play was far superior to ours"

Is this a veiled call for MH to change tactics going forward?

Maybe Sean wants back to full forward.

To be honest I couldn't believe my eyes. Going man for man on the Dublin full forward line was suicide. Not sure what the Tyrone management were thinking. I had fully expected Tyrone to win this but leaving themselves open at the back from the very start cost the game which was over after 20 mins. It was like role reversal from 2008 in reverse only worse. Dublin playing a smart system of play and Tyrone utterly naive. Never thought I'd see the day. Not often I agree with 'voice of the intercounty player' Sean but he is definately correct there.

Estimator

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 09:46:52 PM
Tyrone have enjoyed a longer stint at the top than any other team I can think of, unless you consider Kerry 1975-86 as one team; I would say it was two: 75-81 and 84-86. I've been saying since 2008 that Tyrone's demise was overdue based on the average life span of a top team, which is about five years. They've proven me wrong until now.

No county produces a continuous challenge for top honours. Even Kerry, though they are the closest we have to a permanent challenger for titles, don't do it in a continuous stream. A new Kerry team arrives, thrives for a few years and fades. 1958-62; 1969-72; 1975-82; 1984-86; 1997-2000; 2004-?

So this Tyrone group has set a new standard for longevity. We don't even know they're finished yet.

Just catching up on this thread.

Hardy if you are going to split the Kerry team with 75-82 and 84-86, then surely the Tyrone dominance should currently be 2003 - 2008, anything after this point should be considered separate from that great team.
Ulster League Champions 2009

nrico2006

Quote from: trileacman on August 08, 2011, 01:33:03 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2011, 10:05:23 PM

Early days yet but would love to see a team like this starting the league next year:

Packie
Swift
McCarron
McCaul
McNabb
Justin
Red Sean
Cassidy
McKenna
S Cav
P Harte
Joe
Ronan O'Neill
Donnelly/SoN
Penrose

With guys like Gormley, Mugsy, Hub, Jordan still able to fit into the first 15 and coming in to steady the ship. Extremely selfish expecting these guys to hang around for little game time but would be excellent back up and experience.
IMO don't think those in bold are ready yet. McCarron has been weighed and found wanting repeatedly at IC level, wouldn't throw him the FB shirt anytime soon. McNabb has yet to make the step up, played no ball this year, a right way off currently. McKenna left the panel because he felt he couldn't offer 100 percent. Until that changes I don't think its fair to pressurise him into preforming. Advocating Ronan O'Neill ahead of Coney is madness. Coney was very good for us in the later stages. Besides that list leaves out McGuigan, jordan and gormley the 3 best players in thier respective roles. Also Colm who I thought had a great year is left out.

I don't really think that it is too early to start getting these players the experience they need to progress at Senior Inter-County level.  The League is where it should start.  Look at the other sides around the country and they are all playing 19 and 20 year olds, so why should Tyrone not do the same.  As I have said before, the likes of Coney, McKenna, Grugan, Ronan O'Neill etc need to get games under their belt at Senior level and hopefully within a couple of years progress to become the star players that we expect them to become.  The problem over the past few years is that young talents have not been given the chance to get a good run of games because when it came down to it, Mickey has always favoured the 'old' guard.  People will say that the younger players just haven't been good enough to replace the older ones, but in many cases that is not necessarily correct.  These older players on their day were the best, but when it came down to a crunch decision between a younger player who was maybe flying in training and one of the older guys not particularly going as good as he has been, the older fella has always got his place due to the loyalty gained through the years with Mickey and I suppose on top of that Mickey would always be hopeful that the older player can put in a performance as good as they could at their peak.  Raymond Mulgrew never got the run of games he needed to progress, and so far Coney hasn't.  Yet look at the team on Sunday and Mugsy should have been off the pitch.  The like of Mulgrew or Coney would never get the same leeway.  The younger players need the chance to develop among the top grade, as you don't become a real top player over night when you step up from under-age.  Look at Bernard Brogan for example, he really came into his own last summer and had not done that much before that, yet last year he was around the 26 mark.     
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

Quote from: Estimator on August 08, 2011, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 09:46:52 PM
Tyrone have enjoyed a longer stint at the top than any other team I can think of, unless you consider Kerry 1975-86 as one team; I would say it was two: 75-81 and 84-86. I've been saying since 2008 that Tyrone's demise was overdue based on the average life span of a top team, which is about five years. They've proven me wrong until now.

No county produces a continuous challenge for top honours. Even Kerry, though they are the closest we have to a permanent challenger for titles, don't do it in a continuous stream. A new Kerry team arrives, thrives for a few years and fades. 1958-62; 1969-72; 1975-82; 1984-86; 1997-2000; 2004-?

So this Tyrone group has set a new standard for longevity. We don't even know they're finished yet.

Just catching up on this thread.

Hardy if you are going to split the Kerry team with 75-82 and 84-86, then surely the Tyrone dominance should currently be 2003 - 2008, anything after this point should be considered separate from that great team.

OK, I withdraw the Kerry analogy. I picked it as the most difficult example, which I thought would emphasise the point, but the one example that possibly deviates from the trend is the one that gets all the attention. The point remains that the AVERAGE life span of a top team is about five years. Your point could be correct, though and maybe Tyrone have just confirmed the trend, not having won since 2008.

EC Unique

Well done Dublin, great win and a bigger difference in the score would have been more indicative of the difference on the day. Tyrone got out Tyroned, Dublin worked harder and their shooting was first class. I can't believe Tyrone did not deploy a sweeper, suicidal.

Best of luck to Dublin and I genuinely hope they lift Sam.

naka

having watched the game again the match reminds me somewhat of the armagh /kerry AIQF in 2006 when the wheels came off spectacularly for Armagh in the second half and we watched the death knell of that great team,
I take no joy in Tyrone losing and only hope that people recognise the great players that tyrone had over these past 8 years, Dooher, mc menamen,o neill, gormley to name a few, rebuilding is tougher than you think ( just ask us in armagh) although I hope we climb the greasy pole before you guys.