Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 01:25:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2011, 12:53:33 PM
Too much love on this thread, humility in defeat, humility in victory, where is the bitterness, the anger, the resentment, bah! what has this board become  >:(

You mind your own business you bollox!

Stick it up your hole mcstay................ ;)

Fair play to the tyrone folk, very gracious lot, gormley though  >:(

Dubh driocht

AZ has summed up Tyrone's position in the history of the game very well .However, they are still the team to beat an under-age level, they have a relatively large number of clubs, they have invested wisely in the very impressive Garvaghey complex and Club Tyrone provides an impressive financial platform -so while the core of this team may be gone, Tyrone certainly won't be too far away most years.
The Dubs were great. But they have produced some big performances at this time of year on a number of occasions in the last 5 or 6 years.We know they have been doing the early morning shifts since Christmas but can a group of amateur players maintain this until the third Sunday of September ?It will be a tough one but they have some exceptional  players. As much as I admire Kerry, I would be delighted to see any one of Dublin, Donegal or Mayo win it.

Jinxy

I very much doubt they still do the early morning sessions.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whishtup

Too much love on this thread, humility in defeat, humility in victory, where is the bitterness, the anger, the resentment, bah! what has this board become  >:(

Now there's a man talking sense.  Tyrone fans, where has your sense of twistedness gone?

I'm all for Kerry, Mayo or Donegal now in the interest of traditional football physiquev super-muscled rugby-trained machines. That's why I wasn't too sorry to see Kildare or Cork go.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2011, 12:25:46 PM
Ad ad hoc blog post by me. Special circumstances I think.

http://shane-sportsramblings.blogspot.com/2011/08/end-of-great-team-tyrone-tribute.html

Good man, I enjoyed that.

Fair play to the Dubs yesterday, an excellent performance and well deserved victory. I don't think the Dubs will have too many problems against Donegal.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 11:51:46 AM
2008 was the lowest point for most Dublin fans. It absolutely changed the way Dublin football was being coached at underage level and the type of players we were producing. It also got rid of all the boozy nights in Coppers after beating crap teams thinking we were great.
Really? what about 2009 v Kerry i was at that game & like our game v Mayo it was over as a contest after 10/15mins. Since those two hammerings the Dubs have dramatically improved & now the next step will be getting to All Ireland final.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2011, 01:00:38 PM

Well Indiana is having a fit about Joe McQuillan being soft on Tyrone even though he didn't think it necessary dole out any yellows for Dublins persistent fouling and also gave Dublin the handiest of frees when Joe McMahon was coming out of defence with the ball!

How many boxes of Fyffes bananas do you want? Maybe if Derry had a few gym monkeys you might be able to beat Tyrone an odd time.

rrhf

Read AZ words there -  fantastic stuff.  I havent been on this board for months now except for the odd look in but this weekend and the AZ article compelled me to post.
Perhaps the on field journey is over for so many of these lads, but what a journey, what success, what craic, what tragedy and drama has unfolded since 1997.  Yes there were rows, opinions and counter arguements, Hartes teams selections and singlemindedness often controversial and often challenged from bar stool to dinner table, throughout Tyrone and further afield.  but Mickey wouldnt have it any other way.... He is as Tyrone as the rest of us...and probably moreso.    He put all of Tyrone on high alert.  Its all we have thought about for years. Our new characteristics are there for all to see. Winning mentality, ruthless, proud.  I sat mired in the carpark in Clonliffe for a while after the game and I watched a gather up of bored Tyrone lads and girls hopping out of different cars ignoring the rain grabbing a wee football and an impromptu game started - How many young Gormlys Jordans and Mugsys in there.  I took my kids yesterday to watch men like Dooher, O Neill, Mc Guigan and Hughes in possibly their last game.  It was my wee Gaels first game -  They will remember nothing but some day Ill tell them they seen these guys play in Croke Park - the greatest Tyrone team of all time.  A team that took no prisoners but created their own brand of football which was controversial, era defining and skill laden.  They kicked down Heavens door.  My own father took me in 1984 to my first Tyrone game - it turned out to be Frank Mc Guigans  last.  I can always say I seen Mc Guigan play - so can my kids. 
Tyrone football I firmly believe is in great hands - Mickeys.  Lets hope yesterday was not journeys end but perhaps the handing over of the baton. I was glad to read that Mickey is staying on, to assist the evolution of Tyrone football having helped create the revolution. Thanks to everyone for everything.  Tir Eoghan Abu 

Radda bout yeee

Thanks for the memories!

Mickey Harte is unsackable so will he do the right thing and step aside?
I still think that 2/3 of the older players could still do a job next year but for the sake of the future and rebuilding I think all the boys over 30 should retire and let the young uns at it! Just my opinion!

rrhf

Theres not one manager in Tyrone could follow him.  Theres a major problem at mnor and under 21 level also.   Players are not making it through.  Seniors in division 2.  Time to rebuild.  Right man is at the helm.  But we need to look at our lack of success at u21 and this years perfromances at minors would not be good enough.   

Hound

cadhlancian

Lads. lets be fair here. Micky and this team has given us more good times than we could ever have hoped for, and is without doubt the only man at the minute to do this job. BUT, yesterday was in my opinion an absolute shambles on the sidelines from start to finish.
1) Steven O'Neill should have started, no ifs , no buts......and definetly should have started the second half.
2) Failure to play a sweeper against that inside forward line was suicide, dont really have any probably with the players defensivley, they were hung out to dry.......For 70 F........g minutes! >:(
3) Persisted in carrying the ball into the Dubs half, into 2 and 3 players , got dispossessed, leading to a ton of Dubs scores, as they moved the ball quickly after turnovers and Tyrone had NO cover .
4) Granted, somedays things just dont work out, and thats life. BUT, this was blatantly obvious , and at NO point made any change to TRY and rectify it. I think Joe McMahon should have been deployed as a full time sweeper for this game.

Micky has had a million more good games that he has had bad ones....IMO yesterday was his worst. Tyrone were at best tactically naive yesterday, and TBH if Paul Caffrey or more recently Paddy O'Rourke had been in charge yesterday , the comments wouldnt have been as pleasant.

ONeill

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 07, 2011, 09:07:11 PM
Lads. lets be fair here. Micky and this team has given us more good times than we could ever have hoped for, and is without doubt the only man at the minute to do this job. BUT, yesterday was in my opinion an absolute shambles on the sidelines from start to finish.
1) Steven O'Neill should have started, no ifs , no buts......and definetly should have started the second half.
2) Failure to play a sweeper against that inside forward line was suicide, dont really have any probably with the players defensivley, they were hung out to dry.......For 70 F........g minutes! >:(
3) Persisted in carrying the ball into the Dubs half, into 2 and 3 players , got dispossessed, leading to a ton of Dubs scores, as they moved the ball quickly after turnovers and Tyrone had NO cover .
4) Granted, somedays things just dont work out, and thats life. BUT, this was blatantly obvious , and at NO point made any change to TRY and rectify it. I think Joe McMahon should have been deployed as a full time sweeper for this game.

Micky has had a million more good games that he has had bad ones....IMO yesterday was his worst. Tyrone were at best tactically naive yesterday, and TBH if Paul Caffrey or more recently Paddy O'Rourke had been in charge yesterday , the comments wouldnt have been as pleasant.

The majority of what you said is obvious. There's just a time to say it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

new devil

Well done Dublin, 20 points the better team yesterday....Sad to see some of the old guard 2nd best to most 50/50 balls but thats life everyone gets old and hopefully the young players coming through can give us half as many happy days that this team has....Micky Harte is unsackable and he has the right to stay or go whenever he wants and i can't think of anyone else better than Micky to take the new breed forward.

cadhlancian

Why Shane???.
Seriously thats what pisses me off, why not say it now.The obvious is that we know these players /coaches /trainers/manager owe us nothing, they have laid it all out there, many, many times.
If we want to try and keep ourselves at the level we have been at for the last decade, then sentiment should play no part in it.
When do you think we should talk about it?? When we have slid back to a mid level county , settling for mediocrisy? ???