Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 08, 2011, 09:37:38 AM
Quote from: trileacman on August 08, 2011, 01:33:03 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2011, 10:05:23 PM

Early days yet but would love to see a team like this starting the league next year:

Packie
Swift
McCarron
McCaul
McNabb
Justin
Red Sean
Cassidy
McKenna
S Cav
P Harte
Joe
Ronan O'Neill
Donnelly/SoN
Penrose

With guys like Gormley, Mugsy, Hub, Jordan still able to fit into the first 15 and coming in to steady the ship. Extremely selfish expecting these guys to hang around for little game time but would be excellent back up and experience.
IMO don't think those in bold are ready yet. McCarron has been weighed and found wanting repeatedly at IC level, wouldn't throw him the FB shirt anytime soon. McNabb has yet to make the step up, played no ball this year, a right way off currently. McKenna left the panel because he felt he couldn't offer 100 percent. Until that changes I don't think its fair to pressurise him into preforming. Advocating Ronan O'Neill ahead of Coney is madness. Coney was very good for us in the later stages. Besides that list leaves out McGuigan, jordan and gormley the 3 best players in thier respective roles. Also Colm who I thought had a great year is left out.

Look at Bernard Brogan for example, he really came into his own last summer and had not done that much before that, yet last year he was around the 26 mark.     

B Brogan probably isn't the best example - he scored 2-20 in 2009 and prior to that was an All-Star nominee in 2007 and prior to that did his cruciate and broke his leg in different years so he's not a late bloomer as such..

snippets

Tactics were one talking point, but I felt after 10 minutes that Sean was not in 5th gear on Saturday. 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Croí na hÉireann

Enjoyable night in Croker Sat night, I was hoping for a tight intense game so was disappointed in that respect but you had to hold up your hands to Dublin, they were superb. They gave an exhibition at times and I think they have one more gear to slip up if they want.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off this Tyrone team, sure they need younger legs but only Dooher and Jordan will definitely retire. 5 months off to recuperate from the hurt and tragedy will hopefully get that hunger back because it wasn't really there this year. Something about them was bugging me in the first half and I realised just before half time what it was, they were waiting for the aul lads to come on in the second half and win it for them, a la the Roscommon game. Their game plan must have been to be as close to Dublin at ht and it clearly didn't work. Castigating them for not using a sweeper is wide of the mark. They were pushing up man for man when in possession to try and work through the blanket and when disposed, a man would scurry back to act as a sweeper. The quick ball in by Dublin caught them out though, I lost count of the number of high cross field balls they sent in first time. They were quality balls too, which invariably found their man. Special mention to MacCauley, for a man who is probably noted for poor kicking he delivered some outstanding balls and it's worth noting from that stat site that of the 6 kick passes he attempted, the 6 of them found their target.

Another man I would single out would be the one I'd expressed concern about beforehand, Ger Brennan. Thought he did an excellent job on Brian McGuigan, with the result that he was taken off at half time. The key to this Dublin victory was the management though, they've done an outstanding job IMO. They've really changed the mentality in this pack and they're a disciplined unit. It says a lot when they can manage to turn Bastick from a headcase into a peacemaker  :D Some of the point taking took your breath away, Connollys out on the wing a case in point.

The Tyrone kick outs didn't help their cause, they were on the back foot all day and not having someone to win primary possession really killed their chances. People have said how little they saw of Mugsy but Tyrone never looked to get the ball in to him and Fitzsimon was the man to attack, he had to drift out to get on the ball and then they had no threat inside. Donnelly also looked to have the beating of O'Carroll when he ran at him, which I'd be concerned about if I was Gilroy, but again didn't get enough ball.

I was surprised to see some of the team in Flannerys later on but I suppose its three weeks to the semi final and one night letting off steam probably won't do any harm, spare a thought for Mark Vaughan though. Can't wait for their battle with Donegal now, they're after showing their hand though with the quick long ball, will be interesting to see if they can replicate that and what Donegal do to counter. I'll safely say they won't be pushing up man for man though when in possession  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

MacCauleys foot-passing is actually very good.
He just can't/won't shoot for some reason.
How many times have we seen him try to drive in from the wing and fist a point when he could just tap it over from 20 yards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2011, 12:23:42 PM
How many times have we seen him try to drive in from the wing and fist a point when he could just tap it over from 20 yards.
He's definitely kicking more this year than last. Though as you say, rarely attempts to kick points. Kicking accuracy from Dublin's midfielders/defenders probably helped by the fact that Bernard and Connolly can win 50/50 balls.

Radda bout yeee

Didn't rate Connolly much until this point but he looks the real deal
Dublin were far better team and their tactics were spot on!
I'd say Dublin/Gilroy probably thought all their christmas' had came at once when they saw how Tyrone were set up!
I know some of this has been said but there are soo many questions unanswered:
Why play Justy out of position?
Why no sweeper?
Why didn't they start Stevie O'Neill?
Why did Mugsy last the 75mins?
Why take McGuigan off when he was getting on good ball?
Why leave it to the game was over to introduce Cassidy (our natural midfielder)?
Is it just me or did MH tactics and demeanour look like he had had enough? You couldn't blame him if it was the case particularly what he's been through!

Canalman

Quote from: Hound on August 08, 2011, 12:31:59 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2011, 12:23:42 PM
He's definitely kicking more this year than last. Though as you say, rarely attempts to kick points. Kicking accuracy from Dublin's midfielders/defenders probably helped by the fact that Bernard and Connolly can win 50/50 balls.

MDMA has for want of a better comparison a "golf putting" style of kicking. Not really a point kicking style.

INDIANA

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 12:11:11 PM
Enjoyable night in Croker Sat night, I was hoping for a tight intense game so was disappointed in that respect but you had to hold up your hands to Dublin, they were superb. They gave an exhibition at times and I think they have one more gear to slip up if they want.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off this Tyrone team, sure they need younger legs but only Dooher and Jordan will definitely retire. 5 months off to recuperate from the hurt and tragedy will hopefully get that hunger back because it wasn't really there this year. Something about them was bugging me in the first half and I realised just before half time what it was, they were waiting for the aul lads to come on in the second half and win it for them, a la the Roscommon game. Their game plan must have been to be as close to Dublin at ht and it clearly didn't work. Castigating them for not using a sweeper is wide of the mark. They were pushing up man for man when in possession to try and work through the blanket and when disposed, a man would scurry back to act as a sweeper. The quick ball in by Dublin caught them out though, I lost count of the number of high cross field balls they sent in first time. They were quality balls too, which invariably found their man. Special mention to MacCauley, for a man who is probably noted for poor kicking he delivered some outstanding balls and it's worth noting from that stat site that of the 6 kick passes he attempted, the 6 of them found their target.

Another man I would single out would be the one I'd expressed concern about beforehand, Ger Brennan. Thought he did an excellent job on Brian McGuigan, with the result that he was taken off at half time. The key to this Dublin victory was the management though, they've done an outstanding job IMO. They've really changed the mentality in this pack and they're a disciplined unit. It says a lot when they can manage to turn Bastick from a headcase into a peacemaker  :D Some of the point taking took your breath away, Connollys out on the wing a case in point.

The Tyrone kick outs didn't help their cause, they were on the back foot all day and not having someone to win primary possession really killed their chances. People have said how little they saw of Mugsy but Tyrone never looked to get the ball in to him and Fitzsimon was the man to attack, he had to drift out to get on the ball and then they had no threat inside. Donnelly also looked to have the beating of O'Carroll when he ran at him, which I'd be concerned about if I was Gilroy, but again didn't get enough ball.

I was surprised to see some of the team in Flannerys later on but I suppose its three weeks to the semi final and one night letting off steam probably won't do any harm, spare a thought for Mark Vaughan though. Can't wait for their battle with Donegal now, they're after showing their hand though with the quick long ball, will be interesting to see if they can replicate that and what Donegal do to counter. I'll safely say they won't be pushing up man for man though when in possession  :D

Harte has outwitted everyone tactically over the years. Saturday was the one time he got it wrong Croi.

They didnt employ a sweeper. I'd a great view of the game. I still cant understand why they didnt.

I'm of the opinion the likes of Bernard and Alan Brogan with quality ball kicked in , with the open spaces of CP are literally unmarkable.

You have to play a sweeper against them.

With all Harte has achieved he's entitled to a night off the same as everyone. Tyrone have struggled at u21 since he left. It seems Tyrone need him everywhere.

tyronebhoy

re: no sweeper for Tyrone.

Hindsight is wonderful and a sweeper might have helped but in fairness, the way Dublin played, I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game.

I think Mickey Harte thought that by not having a sweeper Tyrone would have a better chance if it came down to a shoot out between the sides and scoring 15 points against Dublin isn't too bad.  Just Dublin were exceptional and to score 19 points from play from all over the field was something I haven't seen very often.

Dublin got their tactics spot on, we didn't, but as well as that, with Dublin's quality in passing and shooting, a sweeper for us wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game in my opinion.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 01:56:16 PM

Harte has outwitted everyone tactically over the years. Saturday was the one time he got it wrong Croi.

They didnt employ a sweeper. I'd a great view of the game. I still cant understand why they didnt.

I'm of the opinion the likes of Bernard and Alan Brogan with quality ball kicked in , with the open spaces of CP are literally unmarkable.

With all Harte has achieved he's entitled to a night off the same as everyone. Tyrone have struggled at u21 since he left. It seems Tyrone need him everywhere.

I was at the game Indy and watched the recording yesterday morning so had a great view myself. They tried to use a sweeper except their game plan simply didn't work. When Dublin got possession a Tyronie immediately turned on his heels and retreated back in front of Brogan and Connolly. The reason it didn't work is that the ball was sent in over the retreating sweepers head, therefore not giving him time to get back in position. It was also quality ball heavily favoured towards the attacker. I fully expect Donegal to leave a least one full time sweeper in front of the two lads so it'll be interesting to see how they fare against that.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Haven't had time to do a descent post since Saturday night but Congrats Dublin
I can't get my head around why we didn't have a better defensive system in place and why we only fielded 15 men when all 20 were needed from the start.

I think this sums it up best

INDIANA

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 02:25:23 PM

I was at the game Indy and watched the recording yesterday morning so had a great view myself. They tried to use a sweeper except their game plan simply didn't work. When Dublin got possession a Tyronie immediately turned on his heels and retreated back in front of Brogan and Connolly. The reason it didn't work is that the ball was sent in over the retreating sweepers head, therefore not giving him time to get back in position. It was also quality ball heavily favoured towards the attacker. I fully expect Donegal to leave a least one full time sweeper in front of the two lads so it'll be interesting to see how they fare against that.

The first rule of playing a sweeper is that he doesn't wait for the opposition to get the ball to be in position. Tyrone pioneered it. I've a dozen recordings of them doing it circa 2033-2008. If I get the ball in the half back line and I see someone standing in front of the "go" to men up front. I may have to check back and recycle the ball for someone else to kick in. By the time I do this the space is clogged when the next man gets the ball.

Thats why Dublin need to spend 3 weeks kicking points from 40 yards in preparation for Donegal. Its the one way to beat Donegal.

In my view Tyrone underestimated Dublin. And probably overestimated themselves going into it. You cant replace some of the players they had either. Once in a lifetime players some of them. Their forward line is their biggest problem. SON on one leg will still be their best forward next year.

ONeill

QuoteIn my view Tyrone underestimated Dublin. And probably overestimated themselves going into it.

I thinks there's an element of truth in this. Very few expected that Dublin performance.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2011, 07:13:51 PM
QuoteIn my view Tyrone underestimated Dublin. And probably overestimated themselves going into it.

I thinks there's an element of truth in this. Very few expected that Dublin performance.

I certainly didnt. Thought it would be very tight. In hindsight Tyrone were in trouble in their fullbackline and (despite Cavanagh's scores) in midfield versus us and Dublin would be a long way ahead of Roscommon. I just thought the match might have brought Tyrone on and that they would ensure they wouldnt be exposed to the long ball this time. I also expected the Dubs to be rusty from the lay off since the Leinster final. Wrong on all counts.  Sad to see Tyrone go out for Harte's sake but the Dubs were a joy to watch and fair play to them.

ross matt

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 04:30:09 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 02:25:23 PM

The first rule of playing a sweeper is that he doesn't wait for the opposition to get the ball to be in position. Tyrone pioneered it. I've a dozen recordings of them doing it circa 2033-2008. If I get the ball in the half back line and I see someone standing in front of the "go" to men up front. I may have to check back and recycle the ball for someone else to kick in. By the time I do this the space is clogged when the next man gets the ball.

Thats why Dublin need to spend 3 weeks kicking points from 40 yards in preparation for Donegal. Its the one way to beat Donegal.
In my view Tyrone underestimated Dublin. And probably overestimated themselves going into it. You cant replace some of the players they had either. Once in a lifetime players some of them. Their forward line is their biggest problem. SON on one leg will still be their best forward next year.

Easier said than done Indiana as Donegal will also cut down on the space out there also but for the sake of an attractive game I hope it works for ye.