Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: borderfox on August 07, 2011, 12:26:05 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: borderfox on August 07, 2011, 12:16:24 AM
13 or 14 points should be enough to see off Donegal comfortably. Dublin are well fit to do this.

if a poor tyrone team can score 0-15 against dublin then donegal can too. however the important thing to note is donegal are setup to concede considerably less than 0-22. if you thought donegal were hardcore puke football then after tonight they will be ultra hardcore puke football  :D
I Dont think Donegal have the forwards with the pedigree of Tyrones. I cant see Donegal scoring more than 10 points judging by the way there set up.

Every game is different & all that, No doubt Donegal will have to hold Dublin to half what they scored tonight & on there day the like's of Mcfadden,McHugh & Murphy can produce.

Add into the mix all the pundits,bookies will have Dublin favouries now, it's set up nicely for Donegal to pull off another shock just like 1992.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

orangeman

Dublin would have beaten anyone in the country tonight, they were that good - they were on song, on fire and most importantly had the shooting boots on when it came to scoring points.

Tyrone owe us nothing - absolutely nothing - and the team and management should be lauded for what they've given us over an extended period of time.

Now's not the time to be writing anyone's obituary.

But fairs dues to Dublin after recovering from a brutal performance in the Leinster final to engineer this result. A bit like Mayo, who London could have beaten.

Was it Jimmy Greaves who used to say that football was a funny old game ?.

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2011, 12:34:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM
despite how poor tyrone were, that must be the best dublin have played since the heffernan days. dont forget they could/should have had 4 goals as well. in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.

however, the big problem for dublin now is that they are going to have to reproduce that performance 2 more times to win all ireland. believe it or not, jim mcguinness may be a happy man tonite instead of a worried one.

I genuinely don't think so.
Look at their form line vs. Donegals.
Donegal narrowly beat Tyrone and Kildare (aided by some dodgy reffing).
Dublin annihilated Tyrone and beat Kildare with 14 men.
I think they can play well within themselves and still beat Donegal by 4 or 5 points.
That would set them up nicely for the final which either way (waves at Mayo friends) they will be massively motivated for.
Aye, but it's a totally different game when Donegal are playing. They are not going to stuff anyone. It's not in their game. Donegal would be happy to score 2 points, in the knowledge that they could stop their opponents scoring more than 2 points.
The Dubs thrived playing Tyrone as they were able to take scores, due to the space they were given.
It's hard to see them getting an inch of space against Donegal and it will be interesting how they deal with it.

The Dubs counter attack at a ridiculous speed though.
It's usually 2/3 quick handpasses to a runner coming out, kick pass to the wing, maybe another quick offload then another kick pass into the FF line.
They won't just run it up to the Donegal half back line like Kildare did.
The reason there was so much space for the Dubs today is they have support runners coming from everywhere at pace.
Kildare were very fit, but they didn't have the pace this Dublin team have.
They also didn't have the range of scoring options Dublin have.
Dublin are now, where Donegal might be in a year or two, i.e. they have figured out the optimum system of play for the players at their disposal which balances defence and attack without sacrificing one for the other.
I'd put the house on Dublin coming out on top.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TyroneRahilly

Obviously, im gutted that Tyrone were well beaten today, however, I still enjoyed watching the skill and accuracy of the dubs - they made it look so easy. I stayed to the very end to applaud the Dublin team on their outstanding performance and victory but also to applaud the Tyrone team that have gave us so much in this last decade.

I could go on about Mickey Hartes decisions today, but its pointless and unfair. I only have to look at what he has achieved for Tyrone, through the years of nuturing those players and the successes they brought. Its an end of era for alot of players on the team and hope that they dont get too annoyed at their performance today as they wont be judged on that, but will only be judged on the years of great performances and achievements, the youth they have inspired throughout the country and the excitement and joy they have brought to their fans.

They may have lost today, but overall their County endeavours were a total success.

ONeill

Quote from: TyroneRahilly on August 07, 2011, 01:07:19 AM
Obviously, im gutted that Tyrone were well beaten today, however, I still enjoyed watching the skill and accuracy of the dubs - they made it look so easy. I stayed to the very end to applaud the Dublin team on their outstanding performance and victory but also to applaud the Tyrone team that have gave us so much in this last decade.

I could go on about Mickey Hartes decisions today, but its pointless and unfair. I only have to look at what he has achieved for Tyrone, through the years of nuturing those players and the successes they brought. Its an end of era for alot of players on the team and hope that they dont get too annoyed at their performance today as they wont be judged on that, but will only be judged on the years of great performances and achievements, the youth they have inspired throughout the country and the excitement and joy they have brought to their fans.

They may have lost today, but overall their County endeavours were a total success.

Excellent summation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

How valuable is your house?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

snippets

A result I expected, and the performance I feared.  We in tyrone have been fooling ourselves since 2009. However our endeavour was always honest its the end day for some of the greatest servants to tyrone football we will ever see.  Tonight I'm glad its over.  This year will always be a terrible year for the tyrone camp and many many people outside. The golden era is most certainly over but the joy and happiness that these incredible tyrone people have brought to us all will leave us indebted forever, and we were here after 1989 , after 96. So we know what we have to do to get back off our knees.  Congratulations must go to an awesome dublin team.  the all ireland is there's to lose   
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: LeoMc on August 06, 2011, 09:58:35 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 06, 2011, 09:36:18 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 06, 2011, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 06, 2011, 09:10:20 PM
GAA printing Kerry V Dublin final tickets as we speak ;)

No thanks, they would hammer us. Hopefully, we will engineer an honourable exit the next day and spare ourselves the humiliation.

That's some quality long range yerra-ing.

Against these packed defences you have to take your Yerra from distance. It is why Kerry are consistently so sucessful, the cute hoors can adapt to the new forms of mind games.

You may call it yerra'ing but It is obvious that a new power has emerged. Keep in mind that many of the kerry team have been on the go as long as Tyrone so why do you think the same result won't happen ?

No.It would be better to go out to Mayo than have 80000 dubs ole'ing us off the pitch.   

trileacman

Quote from: ross4life on August 07, 2011, 01:17:42 AM
How valuable is your house?

60 cents in this market.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Remember Meath ambushing Kerry '01? Remember Galway ambushing them. Dublin were good but Tyrone were clueless today. The hype machine roars into life and Donegal will push them the whole distance. Far from a foregone conclusion.

I could lay into different players and the manager about the defeat but that would be hypocritical given how wordless I am when they excel. In all honesty, I've got piss drunk off the back of someone else's victories too many times to lay the boot in now.

As for Tyrone, Need to focus on rebuilding the defence, Of the 7 who played today only about 3 have any long term future (4+ years) in a Tyrone shirt. Time to trawl the clubs I think.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Blowitupref

Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM
in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.
Semi final v Meath in 1996 is one i remember.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

DickyRock

It was easy to see from early on that we were in for a tough night. Tyrone were just second best all over the field - everytime we pulled back a couple of points the dubs would score a couple more in quick succession. Their intensity and style of play reminded me of Tyrone in the good days.

Thanks to all the lads - they've giving us some great days out and owe us nothing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 04, 2011, 04:20:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 04, 2011, 04:11:06 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2011, 03:58:20 PM
Brennan wont follow him. Cullen was dragged out of centre back in 2008 out to the wing - they won't make that mistake again.

Would you really want Brennan as a lose man though, he's distribution is awful, for me he is the weakest link on the Dublin team especially in such a pivotal position.

Looking forward to the game, if both sides had the same prep i.e. this was also Dublin's third game in 3 weeks I would favour them strongly but think it could be tight and wouldn't be surprised to see a draw or worse the referee making a c**k-up of a decision to decide it, fine margins and all that.

I would agree with that, if Cian O'Sullivans hamstrings weren't at him all year he'd do a savage job there imo.

I can see why you rate him @Croi, thought he was superb last night.

Dublin were very good last night but was surprised at the space their inside line got needless to say they won't get that against Donegal.

Amusing to see people have a pop against Dublin's tactical fouling yet every team does it and it's a legitimate ploy as far as I can see.

G'wan on the Dubs, the semi will be hard to call but the Dublin have no fear of Donegal and it's set up nicely for a Dublin v Mayo final.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Absolutely delighted. Had a strong feeling that if Dublin were to win, Diarmo would be man of the match. But pretty much all 15 played well (Cian OSullivan super considering how long it is since he played a match).

Won't be easy to replicate everyone playing well again, and there's no a whole heap of strength on the bench.

Hard luck to Tyrone. Got some nice scores in the 2nd half and never gave up - but it was our day