Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

C Mort got about 10 mins on Sunday as well I hear.

Looked ok apparently and scored a couple of frees after coming on.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 03, 2011, 10:34:39 PM
We had a discussion today, she reckons I should go if I want to go that badly... ;D

Janey Mac, you didn't fall for that one, diid you?
Now, if you had stood up, straightened  the shoulders and looked her in the eye, saying at the same time, "My dear, I simply must go. I shall do my duty, come what may. I must keep the faith at all costs," she would have to believe you.
Especially if you added in your best John Wayne accent; "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."
Okay, all she might believe is that you are truly off your rocker- but surely she knows that by now. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross matt

Quote from: kevmy on July 04, 2011, 10:53:08 AM

Ominous.  :'(

Ryano

Ya I heard he was back in training, as only he can!

I work with two lads from Shrule and they were laughing about how they had seen he was back training. Apparently there are three different possible pitches that can be used for training in the town. But of the three Goldilocks choose the one right beside the local church. An unusual choice if you know the town and the three pitches as this particular one is probably the poorest of them. But the reason he chose this one was because it was a Sunday morning and it just so happened that half the town were leaving Mass as he jogged by, giving him an instant audience. Looks like he is missing being in the limelight!

ross matt

Quote from: Ryano on July 04, 2011, 07:16:04 PM

Ya I heard he was back in training, as only he can!

I work with two lads from Shrule and they were laughing about how they had seen he was back training. Apparently there are three different possible pitches that can be used for training in the town. But of the three Goldilocks choose the one right beside the local church. An unusual choice if you know the town and the three pitches as this particular one is probably the poorest of them. But the reason he chose this one was because it was a Sunday morning and it just so happened that half the town were leaving Mass as he jogged by, giving him an instant audience. Looks like he is missing being in the limelight!

Agreed he's an attention seeker alright Ryano but he would trouble us from frees if he is fit for the final. That and the possibility of McGarrity back midfield would free up Aidan O'Se for full forward. They then could rain down high ball on our vertically challenged full back line. One way or the other it would make Mayo  a much improved version of the side that beat Galway.

Blowitupref

Conor Mortimer hasn't started a competitive game in the best part of a year it would be rather silly picking him for a Connacht final in 13 days. Alan Freeman seems to have made full forward his own why move him out?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

criostlinn

Less then two weeks to go. I think its time to throw my tuppence worth in.

I for one am delighted with the Galway game. The London hangover is well and truly behind us. Any day we beat Galway by 6 points is a good day in my book. I couldn't give to hoots about the performance. The conditions were terrible and we scored 1-8 in the second half and only conceeded 1 point. Ok Galway were shite but we can only beat whats put in front of us.
This is a young inexperienced team and so far they are showing a vast improvement on last year. The Galway midfield was cleaned out. The two O'Shea's played mighty stuff but the half backs and half forwards won an awful amount of dirty ball, something I havent seen in a Mayo team in a long while. I heard Hennelly interviewed after the match and he said it was something the team was working on.

No doubt the freetaking is still a problem, but again the conditions the last day didn't help.  You can see heads dropping all over the place when a handy free is missed. Things then start to get a bit disorganised when lads are trying to decide who's going to take the next one. There is also a fierce amount of extra pressure on the freetaker now as a result of the problems in London and Castlebar. Ive no doubt the management are trying to come up with a solution and I have no doubt they will.
What I would like to see the next day thou is a bit more movement from the forwards to give the free taker a few options. Against Galway a few times as Hennelly was making his long trek up the field, Andy Moran was standing over the ball and every single forward moved in towards the square. Nobody was looking for a fast kick, just waiting for Henelley.

The forward line is developing into a tidy unit with some great prospects. Andy Moran is currently playing out of his skin and is a real leader for the younger men in front of him. Dillons general play is very good but he seems to be currently lacking a bit of confidence when shooting. If any man can sort this out himself, its Dillon.  As for McLoughlin. a right little tiger and a great man to take a point as well.

The O'Shea's in midfield were outstanding against Galway. I wouldnt like to be picking midfield the next day but one thing for sure I wouldnt be tempted at all to put either of the O'Sheas into the forward line. Far better I think having a midfielder coming of the bench if things are tight.

The back line is still a bit dodgy mainly the full back line. One or two men the last day would have been really punished against better competition. This may sort itself out but I think Cafferkey should be seriously considered as a corner back against Roscommon.
The Feenys are a great addition to the back line and add a real bit of steel to the defensive unit.

So all in all a work in progress but its great to see lads trying. As regards the Roscommon match, enough of this shadow boxing. Why wouldnt we bate them. Like every time we play Roscommon I like all Mayo supporters fully believe we are going to beat them and this time is no different. Lads get of the fence and start supporting your county and stop trying to build up the opposition because you are afraid of a bit of slagging if we lose.

As for the Mort. Im delighted to see him back training. I couldnt give two shits if he was running up and down the aisle at Sunday mass in Shrule as part of his training. One thing you will get from the Mort is effort. I can guarantee you he is already trying to figure out how he will get back into this team and will be looking at the problems with the frees. The boys in shrule better get used to looking at him practising frees for the next few weeks. Maybe they should go out and kick it back to him instead of standing idly by looking and begrudging a man thats trying to get back after a serious injury.

Ryano

Quote from: ross matt on July 04, 2011, 08:03:29 PMAgreed he's an attention seeker alright Ryano but he would trouble us from frees if he is fit for the final. That and the possibility of McGarrity back midfield would free up Aidan O'Se for full forward. They then could rain down high ball on our vertically challenged full back line. One way or the other it would make Mayo  a much improved version of the side that beat Galway.

Oh no doubt. He is a nacky little player, very hard mark and he would have done a hell of a lot better then some of his team mates against Galway with the free kicks. I remember him giving Seanie Mac a torrid time of it in The Hyde a few years back. Can't see him starting at all but if he makes the bench we could see him playing the last 15/20 minutes if things are not going well for them.

Mayo will be a very different beast to the one that fell over the line against London and eventually beat Galway out the gate. They are improving steadily with each game and I am having the same nightmares about McGarrity coming back into the middle and the Kerryman going to FF. In that case we would really need to be on top in the middle to stop high ball going in and doing damage.

Quote from: criostlinn on July 04, 2011, 09:09:27 PMAs for the Mort...

The Mort!?! The M-O-R-T! Jesus wept as if there are not enough things to pull the piss out of him over already.... Has he got "The Mort" tattoo'd on himself?

Quote from: criostlinn on July 04, 2011, 09:09:27 PMThe boys in shrule better get used to looking at him practising frees for the next few weeks. Maybe they should go out and kick it back to him instead of standing idly by looking and begrudging a man thats trying to get back after a serious injury.

The boys in Shrule think he is a gobshite. Trevor is far more popular then his peroxide blond rat featured brother with his neighbours and fellow clubmen. And all "The Mort" was doing was running laps of the field and posing. No balls involved apart from his own two and I get the feeling the mass goers would have happily kicked those ones for him ;)

ross matt

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 04, 2011, 08:14:07 PM
Conor Mortimer hasn't started a competitive game in the best part of a year it would be rather silly picking him for a Connacht final in 13 days. Alan Freeman seems to have made full forward his own why move him out?

Horses for courses.

muppet

Quote from: ross matt on July 04, 2011, 09:58:05 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 04, 2011, 08:14:07 PM

Horses for courses.

If it were that simple we would just play Andy Moran against ye.

MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

I don't understand the Roscommon sense of fear of putting AOS in full-forward. He plays much better in midfield imo. As far as fears go, I'm petrified that Shine, et all will get sufficient ball if Finneran and Mannion do the business around mid-field.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spuds

Disgraceful personal attack on Conor Mort Ryano, not quoting you as think they should be removed. Banter is all good and well but that sort of shit is uncalled for. Play the game not the man.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mannix

Doubt Mortimer is worried about lads with a fraction of his skill.if the same fellas were able to kick a point like him they would be out there with him. It's just old fashioned begrudgery.

ross matt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 04, 2011, 10:10:46 PM
I don't understand the Roscommon sense of fear of putting AOS in full-forward. He plays much better in midfield imo. As far as fears go, I'm petrified that Shine, et all will get sufficient ball if Finneran and Mannion do the business around mid-field.

Agreed. If Ross win midfield Shine, Kilbride and Cregg will get the scores needed to edge past Mayo. My point was (if fit) McGarritty is better than the two O'Se's and the current Ross midfield. The younger brother played full forward before to great effect so with Roscommon having a small full back line its an obvious option to move him in there and pump the ball in. Mortimer is a far better free taker than the Mayo keeper so he too would be an addittion. Overall what I'm saying is Mayo could turn up a far different outfit in the Connacht final than they were against Galway thanks to the return from injury of a few key players. That being said Roscommon should have O'Gara available.

ross4life

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2011, 01:03:15 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 04, 2011, 10:10:46 PM

Agreed. If Ross win midfield Shine, Kilbride and Cregg will get the scores needed to edge past Mayo. My point was (if fit) McGarritty is better than the two O'Se's and the current Ross midfield. The younger brother played full forward before to great effect so with Roscommon having a small full back line its an obvious option to move him in there and pump the ball in. Mortimer is a far better free taker than the Mayo keeper so he too would be an addittion. Overall what I'm saying is Mayo could turn up a far different outfit in the Connacht final than they were against Galway thanks to the return from injury of a few key players. That being said Roscommon should have O'Gara available.

Having seen Aidan O'Shea play in midfield,full forward at Minor,U21 & Senior level it's no doubt in my mind midfield is his best position. In McGarrity/A O'Shea Mayo will form a formidable partnership for the Connacht final & worth pointing out Finneran played in 09 & had to be subbed off on 40mins. Another two players i expect Horan to start (if fit) will be Howley,Gafferkey. on the subject of O'Gara he only played 30mins for ros gaels so the best we can hope for is a 20 minute cameo appearance & I'll be suprised if moonwalker is part of 26 man panel.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open