ulster semi final tyrone v donegal

Started by rrhf, June 06, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

Radda if either Dooher or Davy Harte are dropped, I'll eat my hat.

ck

donegal lad

No its paying at the turnstile for the terrace

J70

A couple of articles from the Democrat. Donal Reid reckons Donegal should win, especially if they go the direct route. I was not too impressed when they tried the direct route against Antrim and Cavan, and Tyrone are sure to drop someone in to sweep up, so I'm not sure how effective that tactic will be. Plus, you always have to factor in the confidence and perserverence factor when it comes to Donegal. We haven't seen this team go five or six points down against a good side yet (with all respect to Sligo and Laois in the league!). That will be the test to see if things have changed from the old days when they'd often lose their composure or throw in the towel in those situations.

Anyway...

McGuinness pitting his wits against the master

Published on Thursday 23 June 2011 06:43

Donegal and Tyrone take centre stage in the Ulster championship this weekend in St. Tiernach's Park, Clones with a place in the final against Derry up for grabs. (Throw in 3.30pm)

It is also Donegal manager Jim McGuinness versus Tyrone's Mickey Harte. The new kid on the block up against the master tactician and the man with the proven record.

It is generally believed that these two men and their selections and tactics will have as big an influence on the encounter as any of the 40 or so players that will take the field on Sunday afternoon.

Last weekend, Derry manager, John Brennan, received all the plaudits for his tactical shrewdness and was being hailed as having won the sideline battle with his Armagh counterpart Paddy O'Rourke.

Meanwhile a number of weeks earlier O'Rourke was seen as having won the tactical battle with James McCartan in the Orchard County's shock victory over Down.

While it is ultimately down to the players and how they perform, the roles of Jim McGuinness and his number two Rory Gallagher and Mickey Harte and his second in command Tony Donnelly, will have a big influence. That is the way the modern game is going.

The prize for Sunday's winners is an Ulster final showdown against Derry in Clones in three weeks, while the vanquished will be heading for the Qualifiers on Saturday July 9th.

With Frank McGlynn - who missed the quarter-final meeting with Cavan with a hamstring injury - flying fit again and all other minor knocks having cleared up Jim McGuinness reported a clean bill of health at the weekend.

All of which means for the first time this season the Donegal boss is in the happy position of having a fully fit squad and a first real selection headache.

With McGlynn fit again, the dilemma facing the Donegal boss this week is does he hold the Glenfin man in reserve and stick with the six defenders that started against Cavan.

However, given McGlynn's form in the latter stages of the league, it will be hard to overlook his claims for inclusion. In the event of McGlynn getting the nod Paddy McGrath and Marty Boyle would appear to be the men under the most pressure.

Another option open to him and believed to be under consideration is moving Anthony Thompson to centre-half forward with either Boyle or Kevin Cassidy named at centre half-back.

With Tyrone expected to employ a sweeper in front of the Donegal dangermen of Michael Murphy and Colm McFadden, it would leave Thompson free to revert back to play as an extra defender.

Michael Hegarty is also thought to be in the running in the half-line of the attack flanked by Ryan Bradley and Mark McHugh, with teenage sensation Patrick McBrearty expected to join Michael Murphy and Colm McFadden in the front line of the attack.

While Leo McLoone returned against Cavan, when coming off the bench in the second half, the Naomh Conaill man may be held in reserve, but is a good bet to see action at some stage.

The Donegal boss is expected to name his team after training tonight (Thursday).

Regular full-back Justin McMahon and midfielder Aidan Cassidy are Tyrone's major injury concerns. McMahon, who missed the latter stages of the league and the first round against Monaghan, is struggling with a hamstring injury while Cassidy injured his ankle in training.

However, McMahon's brother Joe is fit again and is expected to make Mickey Harte's starting fifteen. Kevin Hughes, who was only used as a replacement, is also fully fit again and is an obvious choice to join Sean Kavanagh in midfield if Cassidy fails to make it.

The Donegal team will overnight in the Slieve Russell Hotel, Cavan on Saturday night ahead of the final (sic).

Sunday's game is preceeded by the Ulster U-21 Hurling Shield final meeting of Donegal and Tyrone. (Throw in 1.45 pm).

Reid feels Donegal should take the direct route

Published on Thursday 23 June 2011 06:43

Donegal and Tyrone are going in different directions. Donegal are a side on the way up and improving with every outing while Tyrone are on a downward curve.

That is the view of former Donegal All-Ireland winning wing-back and a man that has a good knowledge of the Tyrone club and county scene, Donal Reid.

The Red Hugh's clubman as well as managing Donegal to U-21 Ulster success in 1995, has also managed Tyrone clubs - Clann Na Gael (Stephen O'Neill and Brian Dooher), Aghyaran (Martin Penrose) and Gortin - over the last ten years or so.

He also feels with Derry's victory over Armagh in Sunday in the first of the Ulster semi-finals was the first sign that the guard is changing in Ulster and that Donegal can complete the change this Sunday to set up a Donegal, Derry final.

"I think Donegal are a team on the up and going in the right direction. Jim McGuinness knows what he is doing and what he wants to achieve and he is going about it the right way. I have been very impressed with them this year," said Reid.

"They are improving with every game, while it is hard to know what to make of Tyrone this year. They were very inconsistent in the league and did not make promotion. They are not the team they were a few years ago and while they are still a decent enough side and have a wealth of experience they have dropped down a notch or two from what they were say when they last won the All-Ireland.

"Given the form to date shown by the two teams you would have to fancy Donegal. I like what I have seen from Donegal this season; they are very well organised and are playing to a system and while followers don't like it, the most important thing is that it is proving successful.

"I certainly don't mind how they win on Sunday as long as they win and I think most supporters will feel exactly the same way.

"The system Donegal are using means they are a very difficult team to score against while they have the forwards at the other end capable of scoring. Michael Murphy is one of the top forwards in the game. Colm McFadden is in brilliant form and the arrival of Patrick McBrearty has added a whole new dimension to the full-forward line. Any one of the three are match winners on their own.

"If we can close down Stephen O'Neill, Martin Penrose and Brian McGuigan, they are the big danger men up front for Tyrone, we will be in with a great chance. Against Monaghan Stephen (O'Neill) seemed to be back to his best while McGuigan made them tick.

"Mickey Harte is a very shrewd tactican and will no doubt try and come up with some kind of plan to break down our massed defence and as he is the man that invented the blanket defence he is possibly best equipped to come up with some way around it.

"That is why I would take a leaf out of Derry's book and play a little more direct than we have been playing and get the ball in a little earlier to the inside men. They will be expecting us to be defensive and by going more direct, especially early on, it might catch them on the hop; a few quick early scores is what we need and this might be the best way to get them.

"The form book points to a Donegal win and if the occasion and the possibility of being pre-match favourites does not get to them I think Donegal are capable of winning. The way the championship is going and after last Sunday, I think we are going to have a Donegal, Derry final."

Fuzzman

We'll need a big game from Penfold alright
No room for missed peno's or easy frees this weekend.

I think that will be the real test for Donegal alright if we get a lead on them?

ck

Is it all ticket for the stand? Where can you buy tickets?

RMDrive

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2011, 03:35:22 PM
Excuse me we are the Red Hands
Ye lot are the red arses.
What do you call Carlow?
The lollipops?
naw,went to play them years ago and commented to my team mates
'jeez are we playing county lego?'

ck

Quote from: backofthehand on June 23, 2011, 12:54:07 PM
Anyone have a seating plan for the Gerry Arthurs stand?

Anyone know the answer to this? I'm trying to buy tickets but would like to have an idea where they are

Fuzzman

Dont have a pic but I believe the covered seats are generally Ac, BC, CC etc whereas the Open sections are AO, BO, CO etc. Section A is in the corner, at section D, E & F ou are fairly central then it tails off again.

Goldengreen

Quote from: ck on June 23, 2011, 04:43:12 PM
Quote from: backofthehand on June 23, 2011, 12:54:07 PM
Anyone have a seating plan for the Gerry Arthurs stand?

Anyone know the answer to this? I'm trying to buy tickets but would like to have an idea where they are

As far as i know you can buy them at the gate even for the stand.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: RMDrive on June 23, 2011, 04:08:00 PM
tickets .ie for stand tickets.

All gone now it seems.

I'd be looking for 2 seated tickets together, for 1 ticket in the Gerry Arthurs Section EO, if anyone would want to swap (with payment  for the 2nd ticket)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ck

Thanks lads. Stand sold out I'm afraid. The heavy rain has helped I'd say

Archie Mitchell

Joe McMahon in for McCarron and Hub in for Cassidy

Archie Mitchell

Cluiche: Tír Eoghain  v  Dún na nGall
Ionad: Cluain Eois
Dáta: 26-06-11

1  Pascal McConnell - An Baile Nua
2 Martin Swift - Coill an Chlochair
3 Joe McMahon - An Omaigh
4 Ryan McMenamin - An Droim Mhór