ulster semi final tyrone v donegal

Started by rrhf, June 06, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

That's great lads... any other unsubstantiated rumours we can post about McGuinness's or anyone else's personal lives?

As for hype, I doubt very much if there's much coming from within Donegal. Anyone with a clue who's followed our senior team will be much too jaded at this stage to get too carried away at this point. We've been let down far too many times before. Nothing wrong with a bit of hopeful optimism, but this team has a lot to prove. That said, there does appear to be a few around here who are being rather dismissive of Donegal. We'll see on Sunday. I think Tyrone will shade it if its tight, otherwise either will win with a bit to spare. Not sure Donegal have the experience to pull off a narrow win against a team of Tyrone's experience and class.

HiMucker

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2011, 05:30:37 PM
That's great lads... any other unsubstantiated rumours we can post about McGuinness's or anyone else's personal lives?
My story is no rumour!  He also refered to cups of tea as cups of scald!
I was at a glenties match when they were playing Burt, he was hitting the frees, and everytime he went to hit one, Ronan McLaughlin(some player in his day and a joke he didnt play more for Donegal) playing for Burt would say to him "remember Jim, look at the ball, allow for the wind and follow through with the laces".  Everytime the ball would balloon wide! Eventually Jim lost the plot whilst lining up a free, threw the ball at him and shouted "your gay! thats gay! your a gay boy!"  Got a yellow card and free the other way, one of the funniest things i seen at a match.

J70

Quote from: HiMucker on June 22, 2011, 06:08:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2011, 05:30:37 PM
My story is no rumour!  He also refered to cups of tea as cups of scald!
I was at a glenties match when they were playing Burt, he was hitting the frees, and everytime he went to hit one, Ronan McLaughlin(some player in his day and a joke he didnt play more for Donegal) playing for Burt would say to him "remember Jim, look at the ball, allow for the wind and follow through with the laces".  Everytime the ball would balloon wide! Eventually Jim lost the plot whilst lining up a free, threw the ball at him and shouted "your gay! thats gay! your a gay boy!"  Got a yellow card and free the other way, one of the funniest things i seen at a match.

You're an anonymous person on the internet. Of course its a rumour.

ONeill

Going by performances this year I was 60/40 in the Donegal corner when it came to placing bets for this game. You had boys like Cassidy and Lacey playing well and many options in the full forward line. Tyrone didn't have a great time handling McManus last day out and it's a pretty unsettled line in that you just don't know what trio Mickey is going to name from game to game. You've to think about a quartet of men who are able to win their own ball in the air - Molloy, Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty - and that's some asset to have in your favour, especially against a relatively smallish full back line. I'd imagine Joe McMahon and Gormley will be there to firefight as they did excellently well against Meath in Navan as the game wore on. McGuinness won't play three up top - or will he? McFadden seems to save his best for Tyrone and I'd worry about the amount of clean ball Donegal would win if Mickey started with Swift - McCarron - Ricey. McHugh's no slouch too. I expect to see McGuigan getting on the ball as much as possible in defence - the one man who can unlock the mass of bodies he'll find when he lifts his head. I also suspect we'll see a lot of tactical fouling from Donegal just outside the normal Tyrone scoring zone. Tyrone will probably for a while try to run at Donegal through Cavanagh, McGuigan, the Hartes, Jordan but have we someone who can consistently make them pay from 35-45 out? Penrose won't and Sean's first attempt usually dictates how his day will go. If only O'Neill regained that ability.

However, you sometimes forget the scoring potential Tyrone have on any given day. O'Neill, Cavanagh, Penrose, Donnelly, Mulligan, McGuigan at al  - take any two of those to click and they'll make plenty of hay if the defence allow them. How good is this Donegal system? We don't really know that beyond a successful division two campaign and a couple of handy championship games.

So you've two defences well used to employing sweepers or defending en masse if needed, and two sets of forwards well able to trouble the scoreboard. So what about MF? Kavanagh/Rafferty v Hughes/Cavanagh perhaps. That could be the winning of the game if Tyrone come to terms with the Donegal FF line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

Where is all this talk of McFadden saving his best for Tyrone coming from?  He had a good game in 2004, but in 2007 he hit maybe a point, missed a penalty and got sent-off.  For some reason I actually thing that Donegals full forward line will not cause Tyrone too much bother this weekend.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

From the BBC website

Tyrone's Aidan Cassidy and Justin McMahon remain fitness doubts for Sunday's Ulster Football semi-final against Donegal.

Cassidy has been unable to train over the last 10 days since picking up an ankle injury in a club game and appears to be a major doubt.

McMahon's hamstring injury has improved but he appears unlikely to start Sunday's Clones clash.

Kevin Hughes and Joe McMahon are in line to return to the starting line-up.

Should Cassidy miss out, Sean Cavanagh is likely to be asked to fill a midfield void for the second successive game.

Cavanagh partnered Cassidy in the quarter-final win over Monaghan in the absence of Kevin Hughes, who has recovered from injury and is set to start this weekend.

Joe McMahon has fully recovered from a broken draw.

Enda McGinley is scheduled to resume training this week after undergoing ankle surgery.

He will play no part in Sunday's clash with Donegal, but should be available for Tyrone's next game, the Ulster final or a qualifier tie.

"Aidan (Cassidy) has an ankle problem and hasn't been able to do any work on it since. That's a bit worrying that he has been able to do nothing, and we're less than a week away from the game," said assistant manager Tony Donnelly.

Justin McMahon returned to training at the weekend with no adverse reaction.

"He's getting there, and he's in contention for a place on the panel, the 26 man squad," said Donnelly.

ONeill

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2011, 08:32:34 AM
Where is all this talk of McFadden saving his best for Tyrone coming from?  He had a good game in 2004, but in 2007 he hit maybe a point, missed a penalty and got sent-off.  For some reason I actually thing that Donegals full forward line will not cause Tyrone too much bother this weekend.

He hit 0-5 against them last year and 0-4 in the league this year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2011, 10:14:32 AM
From the BBC website

Tyrone's Aidan Cassidy and Justin McMahon remain fitness doubts for Sunday's Ulster Football semi-final against Donegal.

Cassidy has been unable to train over the last 10 days since picking up an ankle injury in a club game and appears to be a major doubt.

McMahon's hamstring injury has improved but he appears unlikely to start Sunday's Clones clash.

Kevin Hughes and Joe McMahon are in line to return to the starting line-up.

Should Cassidy miss out, Sean Cavanagh is likely to be asked to fill a midfield void for the second successive game.

Cavanagh partnered Cassidy in the quarter-final win over Monaghan in the absence of Kevin Hughes, who has recovered from injury and is set to start this weekend.

Joe McMahon has fully recovered from a broken draw.

Enda McGinley is scheduled to resume training this week after undergoing ankle surgery.

He will play no part in Sunday's clash with Donegal, but should be available for Tyrone's next game, the Ulster final or a qualifier tie.

"Aidan (Cassidy) has an ankle problem and hasn't been able to do any work on it since. That's a bit worrying that he has been able to do nothing, and we're less than a week away from the game," said assistant manager Tony Donnelly.

Justin McMahon returned to training at the weekend with no adverse reaction.

"He's getting there, and he's in contention for a place on the panel, the 26 man squad," said Donnelly.

I was under the impression that Cavanagh started there because thats where he's playing this year? IMO is out and out position! Its a sorry day when sean cavanagh is being used as a player to fill voids!!!

Mr. Nakata

I'm guessing 2 changes for tonight's team selection. Hub for Cassidy and Joe for P Harte. Will the beard throw in something from left field? Can't see it...

nrico2006

Quote from: ONeill on June 23, 2011, 11:00:19 AM

He hit 0-5 against them last year and 0-4 in the league this year.

Its the Championship that counts, Ryan Henderson scored something like 12-17 against Wexford in the League and could barely buy a point in Championship football. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sheamy

I expect Tyrone to win this handy enough. Like last week, don't believe the hype...

Fuzzman

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on June 23, 2011, 11:34:38 AM
I'm guessing 2 changes for tonight's team selection. Hub for Cassidy and Joe for P Harte. Will the beard throw in something from left field? Can't see it...

i'll be bold for a change and say Joey & Colm Cavanagh into the wing half forwards & Hub for Cassidy.
Mickey will want some extra height in around MF and Joey probably going in as a sweeper as he did a lot in the last few years. He plays the role well and can set up good attacks as well.

donegal lad

Its great to hear Tyrone supporters writing of out ff line hopefully mickey heart does the same and them can prove yous both wrong

Radda bout yeee

Either Dooher or D Harte have to be dropped based on performance if both retain places then its the ultimate test of Mickey and LOYALITY!

backofthehand

Anyone have a seating plan for the Gerry Arthurs stand?