USFC Armagh v Derry, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 19th June 2pm

Started by oakleafgael, May 29, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: FERDIE on June 05, 2011, 11:34:08 PM
As a Derry man, I find it very embarrassing with all the crying and whinging about venues. Clones is a great venue, with plenty of atmosphere, not like that run down dump in Belfast with stewards bossing you about as though you wre sh*t.
Sure our supporters even cry about our own home venue which is one of the best stadiums in Ulster. There are posters on here crying about  Clones who stayed at home for the Fermanagh game and watched kit on TV.
Rant over, get to Clones and support your county.

Well said FERDIE
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Orior

Clones is a much better venue, and the town contributes to the whole occasion. The atmosphere starts as soon as the church spire is in sight.

Casement has no atmosphere outside of the ground.

But in this instance, when money is tight for everyone and revenue should be shared, I'd much prefer the match was in Casement. Perhaps someone can explain why both semi-finals are in Clones.

To the Useless Ulster Council - please register me as a dissatisfied customer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tbrick18

Clones is a hole.
I hate the place and from a derry perspective it gives Armagh an even bigger advantage.
We were already going to struggle and I think this is now practically a home game for Armagh and so our chances are reduced again.
The pessimist in me thinks the Ulster Council are trying to ensure Tyrone v Armagh final for a big payday.
I can see a lot of fans staying away from the game now due to the distance and associated cost of travelling. I'll still go myself but I think its a terrible decision to play the game there. Someone mentioned atmosphere....what atmosphere is there in a half full stadium? Omagh would have been the perfect location IMO.....

mackers

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2011, 03:06:31 PM
Clones is a hole.
I hate the place and from a derry perspective it gives Armagh an even bigger advantage.
We were already going to struggle and I think this is now practically a home game for Armagh and so our chances are reduced again.
The pessimist in me thinks the Ulster Council are trying to ensure Tyrone v Armagh final for a big payday.
I can see a lot of fans staying away from the game now due to the distance and associated cost of travelling. I'll still go myself but I think its a terrible decision to play the game there. Someone mentioned atmosphere....what atmosphere is there in a half full stadium? Omagh would have been the perfect location IMO.....
Omagh is a hole that even quite a number of the Tyrone posters don't rate. Omagh would be a couple of hours away from the heartlands of South Armagh. Casement, although I don't like it myself, would have been a good compromise.
I think a few of you Derry boys are getting the excuses in early..........do ye not remember the last time the two teams met in Clones??
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

tbrick18

Quote from: mackers on June 06, 2011, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2011, 03:06:31 PM
Clones is a hole.
Omagh is a hole that even quite a number of the Tyrone posters don't rate. Omagh would be a couple of hours away from the heartlands of South Armagh. Casement, although I don't like it myself, would have been a good compromise.
I think a few of you Derry boys are getting the excuses in early..........do ye not remember the last time the two teams met in Clones??

I remember it surely, I was one of the 500!
Omagh wouldnt be that close to parts of Derry either but I'd have been happy with Casement too...but again it would probably have been too big.
This Derry team is not as good as the team we had the last time we played Armagh in Clones....however we have a better manager. I'd be very surprised if we got a result....but the choice of venue has made it even more difficult for us.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Casement was the obvious choice, 45 minutes from Maghera and a half hour from Lurgan but if it genuinely wasn't available then there can't be too much complaint about Clones over Derry. To describe it as "practically a home game for Armagh" is ludicrous.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Overthebar!

think there would have been a half decent crowd (in terms of Derry support) if the club championships had not been fixed for the weekend after the semi-final. anyone involved in those games will hardly be going on the beer for it never mind being bothered with the trek there...

screenexile

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 06, 2011, 05:14:29 PM
Casement was the obvious choice, 45 minutes from Maghera and a half hour from Lurgan but if it genuinely wasn't available then there can't be too much complaint about Clones over Derry. To describe it as "practically a home game for Armagh" is ludicrous.

It is 30 mins from Armagh City and correct me if I'm wrong but did Armagh not play all their home Championship games there while the Athletic Grounds was being redeveloped?? It is far from a ludicrous notion!!

bennydorano

Some serious whinging going on, I mean are we talking about Australian style distances to traverse or what?  Dry them and get on with it ffs.

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2011, 08:49:00 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but did Armagh not play all their home Championship games there while the Athletic Grounds was being redeveloped??

You are wrong.

Armaghgeddon

It is 30 mins from Armagh City and correct me if I'm wrong but did Armagh not play all their home Championship games there while the Athletic Grounds was being redeveloped?? It is far from a ludicrous notion!!

While they might have played a few games there does not mean it was there home venue. Since the Down game it was well over a decade since Armagh played a home game. When Armagh were playing all summer, all Armagh fans had to travel to other counties to play watch Armagh play giving up home advantage on ever occassion.

screenexile

Nah fcuk that why shouldn't I vent my frustration about this decision. Omagh or Casement would suit me and the majority of Derry fans more than Clones and if Casement is not fit for it then Omagh should have got it. It will cost a clean fortune in Diesel and probably be another €30 to watch the match with it being in Clones.

This decision stinks and just because we don't have a big support we are being punished for it. Only 15,000 went to the Athletic Grounds for Armagh v Down and Healy Park comfortably holds 25,000 so there is no sane reason why we should have to go to f**king Clones!!! Whatever about Armagh having played more games there it's irrelevant anyway the decision stinks from a supporters point of view and I'll be fucked if I'm going to let the Ulster Council rip me off!!

mackers

In a helicopter maybe..................it takes an hour without any traffic..........it takes an hour and a half from Dromintee and Killeavy.............hardly a home venue.

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2011, 09:58:29 PM
Only 15,000 went to the Athletic Grounds for Armagh v Down
You're conveniently forgetting about the clash with the CL final (and more importantly Slane  :P) which clearly affected the attendance at that game.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

TacadoirArdMhacha

It is certainly a strange decision, seems to add about an hour onto journeys from Derry compared to Omagh. Hadn't realised it was as much as that to be honest. Clones is slightly more convenient for those from South Armagh, very little difference between the two from Armagh city while the Lurgan folk would prefer Omagh distance-wise.

Derry will have a small support there, predominantly because they don't have many supporters. Of course some will be put off by the inappropriate venue choice but others will simply use it as an excuse. My own view is that it is an unexpected pleasure to be planning such a journey.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

whiskeysteve

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 06, 2011, 10:38:21 PM
My own view is that it is an unexpected pleasure to be planning such a journey.

Aye its like winning 2 tickets to Monte Carlo
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w