Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Can't understand what all the fuss is about. I see little difference in the type of quips he makes and those which Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh used to make:

"1-5 to 0-8...well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language".

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30....... he's on the ground".

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery".

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball."

"Setanta Ó hAilpín....the original Setanta from the old Gaelic stories was ten foot tall, had ten fingers on each hand and ten toes on each foot but even he couldn't be playing better hurling than his namesake here today"

"Anthony Lynch, the Cork corner-back, would be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

" Dublin have scored two points, one from the hand and one from the land"

"I see John O'Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae".

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well".

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide".

Careful now

ONeill

Well, he introduced me to a word I hadn't heard of before - wheeker. He said of McMahon's second free - 'the weaker foot from a wheeker player'. Had to look it up - http://www.irishslang.info/general/131-wheeker.html
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AQMP

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2012, 12:55:36 PM
Well, he introduced me to a word I hadn't heard of before - wheeker. He said of McMahon's second free - 'the weaker foot from a wheeker player'. Had to look it up - http://www.irishslang.info/general/131-wheeker.html

Hadn't heard the word "wheeker" since I was about 14.  Perfectly understandable by those of us who are native speakers of Ullans.

haranguerer

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 01, 2012, 12:33:09 PM
Can't understand what all the fuss is about. I see little difference in the type of quips he makes and those which Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh used to make:

"1-5 to 0-8...well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language".

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30....... he's on the ground".

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery".

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball."

"Setanta Ó hAilpín....the original Setanta from the old Gaelic stories was ten foot tall, had ten fingers on each hand and ten toes on each foot but even he couldn't be playing better hurling than his namesake here today"

"Anthony Lynch, the Cork corner-back, would be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

" Dublin have scored two points, one from the hand and one from the land"

"I see John O'Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae".

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well".

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide".

Wtf was the point in this??

Dougal Maguire

It's quite simple - M O'M is considered a legend for comments like these yet when Sidebottom makes comments of a similar nature he's called a tool. BTW I heard Ger Canning say just now after Meath got a score to make in 2 -1, 'That's the equalising score' so they all make mistakes.
Careful now

trileacman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 01, 2012, 02:14:23 PM
It's quite simple - M O'M is considered a legend for comments like these yet when Sidebottom makes comments of a similar nature he's called a tool. BTW I heard Ger Canning say just now after Meath got a score to make in 2 -1, 'That's the equalising score' so they all make mistakes.

The great Michael never came out with shite like this;

QuoteHustle, Bustle, Muscle!
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: trileacman on July 01, 2012, 03:36:26 PM

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy" If Sidebottom said that people would want him strung up. That being said, Sidebottom isn't a patch on the guy who is commentating on the Arnagh match on Shannonside Radio
Careful now

trileacman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 01, 2012, 03:44:32 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 01, 2012, 03:36:26 PM

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy" If Sidebottom said that people would want him strung up. That being said, Sidebottom isn't a patch on the guy who is commentating on the Arnagh match on Shannonside Radio

The majority of listeners think that Sidearse is a bollix. Live with it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dougal Maguire

A rather sweeping statement ! I'm not convinced that a few posters on an internet discussion board could be termed as 'the majority of listeners'
Careful now

NaomhBridAbú

Are some people seriously mentioning M'OM in the same breath as Mark?

its a no contest....no one comes close to Micheal.

I think the BBC have a lot to answer for here - their coverage yesterday was again poor, couldnt wait to get us off air, and no time for post match analysis.

Gaelic games pull a serious audience, and that should be reflected by the quality of their coverage, not only in terms of physical coverage but also in the pundits and presenters used to cover the games.

Is the current content the best they can deliver - definitely not.

Mark sidebottom has Jarleth Burns, Mchugh and cavangah as wing men, who all contribute to making him look bad

I dont think personally that Cavanagh is capable of being a pundit, but the fact that he is still a squad member should make him illegible, esp when he talks about current tactics etc...I'm probably being a bit blinkered here, but i just see him setting himself up for a career after football. Your man Martin who works with TG4 is miles better.

McConville i think is excellent, and now that Fermnagh have gone out, Canavan would be a better option.

There have to be better qualified and more coherent ex-players available than them?

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Applesisapples

Mark is no Miceal, but not as bad as he's made out to be. He tries to hard with the rhyming slang type commentry. Oisin and Peter Canavan are the best sidemen in Football. Canning is an annoying tool, but Daragh Maloney is by far the best commentator on GAA I've heard this year.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 01, 2012, 12:33:09 PM

The difference... well, one of the many differences, but a key one.

M O'M made his quip when the ball is out of play.

MS makes his quips in the middle of critical phases of play.

It is reflected in the BBC's general editing - its like a program put together by a soccer crew that haven't yet realised Gaelic football is a far quicker game - you cannot show 6 replays of a recent effort on goal or foul, as the ball is most likely long since back in play and quite often play has progressed enough that a scoring attempt is in process. The Down Monaghan game was chronic for missing the action due to replays.

I think MS is trying too hard. I think he'd be better served (at least till he finds his feet) by just concentrating on calling the game rather than trying to commentate, offer opinion on play and wisecrack.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2012, 02:23:40 PM
Canning is an annoying tool, but Daragh Maloney is by far the best commentator on GAA I've heard this year.

I don't mind any of the RTÉ three - maybe I don't listen to them often enough to become annoyed with their flaws (every commentator has them).
i usse an speelchekor

stew

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 01, 2012, 06:16:37 PM
Possibly the worst but typical of the BBC pundits when McHugh said that there would be 'a lot of goal kicks', he was referring to the goalkeepers kicking the ball out not shots on goal.

Sidebottom is the soccer equivalent of Tommy smith, pure and utter shite!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

EagleLord

I hate Jackie Fullerton.