Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

RTEs pundits are forever sitting on the fence too.  There were a few incidents yesterday that were definite fouls but on watching the replay the RTE boys were still reluctant to ever say it was a penalty or say anything that seemed to contradict the referees decision.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orchardman

I actually thought the 2 cubs of mcconville and cavanagh worked well, considering burns and mchugh have held the seats for over a decade. The usual shite people say about mcconville's voice bein drone, what a load of nonsense. To me it sounds normal, and im a mid armagh man, though it's fair to say his facial expression doesn't change much and that's probably whats in people's heads. For me, it contrasts with sean, who as someone said he gurns like a kid in a sweet shop, and maybe still a bit nervours. But overall i thought they worked well together, maybe the respect of the duels their teams had over the years and they both know what their talking about in terms of modern day football. Good talk about diving for frees etc

Burns and mchugh still 2 good man to have around though, both good analsyts

Orchardman

Quote from: Minder on June 25, 2012, 08:54:37 AM
Martin Carney said after 5 minutes yesterday that Lennon and Clerkin were dominating midfield and catching a lot of high ball, they hadn't caught one at that stage.

Seems like he had it prepared and was coming out with it regardless of how the game went.

ha, love that kinda stuff

ck

It's probably fair to say there are no top GAA commentators left. None that GAA people really like... Michael O'M, Jimmy Smyth, Adrian Logan etc all had the X factor which is sadly lacking is modern day commentators. Sidebottom is the worst by a long way! Cringe-bottom

Fuzzman

I'm sure Sidey is a lovely lad but if you're being totally honest 90% of his commentary is indeed cringeworthy. Some of his lines are so out there you have to laugh but compared to somebody like Jimmy Smyth or even Jimmy Magee (who also has his moments) he's not in the same league.
Jimmy used to do it for the BBC back in the mid 90s.

Whilst Oisin knows what he's talking about, if you can't really hear that amazing boring monotonous tone then either your biased or deaf. If he had some of Cavanagh's enthusiasm and vice versa then they would be a good team. At least they don't seem to be constantly fighting for the limelight like Brolly and Spillane or even McHugh.
I watched the analysis of Down v Monaghan last night on the Sunday game and how does Davis just sit there and let Brolly bully him so easily.
The incident where a Down man stamps on a Monaghan player I think was typical.
Davis takes a few mins to give his opinion and then Brolly interrupts and says
NAW NAW nothing in that Tony and rubbishes everything he just said
Tony just sits back and says nothing in reply.

I have to say that I usually watch the RTE one more but I've found myself this year moving more towards the BBC as at least I won't have to look at that Spillane ugly mug and listen to the anti Ulster bullshit.

Hereiam

The line that stood out for me was describing a point as "sweet as nuts" 

Main Street

It was his repeated use of "Benny time"
that took the cringeworthy first prize, imo.

I can tolerate Sidebottom but not with McHugh, he's fuel to the fire

babarino

Quick one (or two), particularly aimed at those whose county happens to be playing.

Do you lads ever go to games? Or do you just sit at home, watch on TV with the laptop besides yis, sharing your expertise in cyberspace?

omagh_gael

I don't want to freak you out too much but there is technology that allows you to record these games whilst you physically attend as well. You may need to sit down after that.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 24, 2012, 11:54:54 PM
only thought sidebottom was bad to i heard mark Lawrence the night, hes hard to listen to, most biased commentry from an Irish guy i ever hear, complaining about shirt pulling, players lying down, and alot of general smart remarks, pretty hard to listen to
Not an Irish guy, an Englishman who chose to represent Ireland, presumably because England didn't want him. He and Andy should listen to houghton.

southdown

I quite enjoy Sidebottom, he likes to bring a bit of craic to the whole thing and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  Some people go out of their way to find faults on here - so what if he gets a few names wrong, I think he's good entertainment. 

RadioGAAGAA

I was more annoyed with the shite BBC directing at the weekend.

Watching Jarlath Burns and yer man O'Kane on the sideline talking while Monaghan are through on goal.

That was just one instance. All too often we seen 4 or 5 replays while play was ongoing.
i usse an speelchekor

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: babarino on June 26, 2012, 09:37:57 PM
Quick one (or two), particularly aimed at those whose county happens to be playing.

Do you lads ever go to games? Or do you just sit at home, watch on TV with the laptop besides yis, sharing your expertise in cyberspace?

wtf?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyCake

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 28, 2012, 06:58:43 PM
I was more annoyed with the shite BBC directing at the weekend.

Watching Jarlath Burns and yer man O'Kane on the sideline talking while Monaghan are through on goal.

That was just one instance. All too often we seen 4 or 5 replays while play was ongoing.

Surely the technology is available to show the replays whilst showing the action?

And yer man Kane. He's a terrible interviewer. No idea where the BBC got him from.

screenexile

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 28, 2012, 11:26:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 28, 2012, 08:10:40 PM
And yer man Kane. He's a terrible interviewer. No idea where the BBC got him from.

Derry.

f**k off!!! Is he balls from Derry . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/rugby_union_season_ticket/html/4.stm

Thomas Niblock is however and I've heard very little complaints about him! He's excellent any time I hear him on the radio and he's played a bit so he knows what he's talking about!