Fermanagh v Mayo NFL

Started by Redgreenery, March 04, 2007, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

disappointing result but the lads battled hard. same old problems again today. the inability to turn possession into scores. how many times did the fermanagh forwards drop the ball into the goalkeepers arms?? the conditions today were terrible and were more suited to a physcially stronger mayo side. dublin, cork and donegal up next. Hopefully we'll pick up a victory before the end of the league campaign.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Redgreenery

Another not-so-great performance by Mayo. In the first 15 minutes they were diobolical!!! Once that past they got into a rythem of play and scored 6 points in-a-row. At half time it was Fermanagh 1-2 Mayo 0-7.
The second half was a middleing performance and Fermanagh looked like they were capable of beating Mayo for a part of the half. Mayo had 3 goal chances in total and they were 3 brilliant saves by the Fermanagh Keeper N Tinney. Luckily Mayo found themselves again and managed to win the game by 2 points but they should have had the game finished at half time and beaten Fermanagh by much more than they did!!!
Conor Mort was my man of the match as he had a great game and put over 7 points and is back on form.
Mayos midfield was worring but for the kickouts Mayo put a good few men in the center to crowd it and win the ball but there was an awful lot of fumbling in midfield by both teams!
At the end of the day its another 2 points in the bag but Mayo needed the scores in this game as the score difference may decide who goes into the playoffs!

FermPundit

if Fermanagh had one or two top class forwards who would be guaranteed to score 5 or 6 points a game I honestly believe we wouldn't be sitting bottom of the table. In every game this year we have had loads of possession in frontn of goal but we simply cannot score. A top quality forward is so important to every side. gooch for kerry, mortimer for mayo and o'neill for tyrone are just some examples. if you took each of those forwards away from their respective counties they would really struggle!!

If only there was a transfer market in the GAA... ;)

J70

Quote from: FermPundit on March 11, 2007, 06:15:59 PM
if Fermanagh had one or two top class forwards who would be guaranteed to score 5 or 6 points a game I honestly believe we wouldn't be sitting bottom of the table. In every game this year we have had loads of possession in frontn of goal but we simply cannot score. A top quality forward is so important to every side. gooch for kerry, mortimer for mayo and o'neill for tyrone are just some examples. if you took each of those forwards away from their respective counties they would really struggle!!

If only there was a transfer market in the GAA... ;)

Apparently Rory Gallagher had a good game for Cavan yesterday. :P

Is Stephen Maguire back?

FermPundit

Rory Gallagher is a big lose alright. Regardless of what people say about him hes a talented footballer. From what I've herad Maguire unfortunately won't be back this year.

rosnarun

WHERE WAS EVERYONE YESTERDAY
I dont think i have ever been at a more poorly atteded mayo match from pitc openings FBD games any thing .
as to the game T mort really looks like he has been the missing link these last few years. the conditions didnt seem to have any effect on his game at all. still capable of of ballooning the odd ball but he has so much to hi game he entitled to the odd one.
Campbell or devenny dont seem to be bring to much to the team but dont do a lot of harm either. omalley did ok in goal some of his kick outs were spectacular but in a team eithout a recognised midfielder a little bit more subtlety would not have gone astray.  barry moran must be really out of the picture not to make the bench yesterday pity he looks a real prospect.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Apparently Barry Moran is injured at the moment.
It's a pity, would have been good to get a look at how he's progressing (if at all).
T Mort is a very hard worker, but he can be frustrating too, he takes the wrong option a lot of the time. But his workrate alone probably merits a starting place.
From the sound of things, BJP is really settling into CHB.
Johnno said they're trying to change the style of play Mayo have been using for the last few years, so maybe that's why things aren't really clicking up front yet. Hopefully that will all be smoothed out by May 20th
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

OirthearMhaigheo

From what I saw on TG4 it looks like Billy Joe is really settling into centre-half back. His direct style of play is definitely a welcome change. Can't really figure how Trevor got m.o.m, he worked his arse off as usual but an awful lot of bad decision making and cockups, but as someone already said you have to live with that with Trevor, he does bring an awful lot of energy to the team. Another man who has bucket loads of energy is Andy Moran, had a very workman like display, the amount of breaks he picked up was vital since we didn't have a good fielder in the middle of the park. He should have scored a couple of points at the end, they were the only blotches in a good performance. Conor was Conor again, no one else like him in the county, simple as that. I have to disagree a little that Devenney brought nothing new. From what I saw, he defended well, rarely gave the ball away, made a couple of blinding runs and is a very good kick passer, yes a Mayo back that is a very good kick passer, that's bringing something new to the table if you ask me, plus its early days the best is yet to come from him. Anyway, a useful 2 points were picked up and they will be well needed given the tough games ahead and the fact that the squad is getting very bare in a few positions.

rosnarun

trevor was head and shoulders the best player on either side . he looks well up for it and has a great football brain only feet disagree sometimes . A moran is really coming on, looking for responsability, huge work rate . dillion was lost a bit a FF wasted really and ther was sign of growth of a new nut at times.
It p[ains me to tell of what a poor game AOM had.
Devenny need to come on a lot before hed be considered championship material kick away a lot of silly ball.
on the plus side j nallen  did quite an adequate job in mid field considering the circumstances
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Gaeilgoir

A couple of points from yesterdays game. I thought that Kilcullen is begining to look like the answer at full back,blocked a couple shot,good hands ect. Conor is still a little greedy for my liking especially with Trevor around. Austin o Malley looked way off the pace.Finally what about David Heaney he didnt look up to much either. James Nallen was more than adequate at mid-field as well and still has plenty of energy by the looks of things.

Pietas

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 12, 2007, 03:33:46 PM
James Nallen was more than adequate at mid-field as well and still has plenty of energy by the looks of things.

I was at the match and couldn't really agree with those sentiments.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Redgreenery

I wouldnt say that J Nallen had a bad game it was ok. I didnt expect him to play as well as he did and certainetly didnt expect him to last the whole game as I didnt think he'd have the legs for it. He played to the best of his ability and thought he made a really good effort.
I was at the game also.

I dont think Trevor put in a M.O.M performance and for me I'd have thought it would have been either Andy Moran, BJ Padden or C Mort.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Redgreenery on March 12, 2007, 07:23:44 PM
I wouldnt say that J Nallen had a bad game it was ok. I didnt expect him to play as well as he did and certainetly didnt expect him to last the whole game as I didnt think he'd have the legs for it. He played to the best of his ability and thought he made a really good effort.
I was at the game also.

I dont think Trevor put in a M.O.M performance and for me I'd have thought it would have been either Andy Moran, BJ Padden or C Mort.

I was at the match also...and agree with everything youve said.