Fermanagh v Mayo NFL

Started by Redgreenery, March 04, 2007, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

As the Fermanagh home pitch is been renevated the game is fixtured for Clones next Sunday at 2:30 pm.
Should be an enjoyable game and although away (or neutral) and possibly without D Brady and K O Neill I'd still expect a Mayo win!
Mayo should use this game to attempt to get plenty of scores as at the end of the group stage the score difference may be the decideing factor as to weather or not Mayo will get into the playoffs!

MacDanger

QuoteMayo should use this game to attempt to get plenty of scores as at the end of the group stage the score difference may be the decideing factor as to weather or not Mayo will get into the playoffs

You're fairly confident there Redgreenery, I'm not so sure I'd share that 100% though. We're missing DB, KO'N and McG so we could be hard pushed to do well.

I presume Harte will play in midfield, possibly alongside Heaney, unless maybe B Moran is given a run. Other than that, it should be as you were with maybe Conroy or Kilcoyne coming in for O'Neill.

Fermanagh aren't doing great so far this year and having their home games away from Enniskillen is a disadvantage but they'll still push us very close, especially if the weather is bad.

Farrandeelin

I wouldn't be too over-confident either. Fermanagh are due a win and with the injury list we have added to McGarritty's illness they just might sneak one here. Saying that though, if the rest of the Mayo players have any passion for the jersey Mayo should win but it is away from home for Mayo. Hopefully we will come outwith the right result. The players would need to play better than they played against Limerick to win this match. It was down as an 'easy 2 points' after Fermanagh lost their opening game, but with the injuries we have it's far from an 'easy 2 points' now. Harte will probably play in the middle. Don't really know who will come in for O'Neill. Maybe Austin O'Malley will be back again in the full forward line.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bod Mor

Yes this will be a tough one surely. The injuries are building up but i'd be happy getting the odd injury this time of year than come the business end of the Summer. It will be interesting to see what midfield will be selected the next day. I reckon James Nallen will start in the middle of the park, probably along side Pat Harte.
We need to get used to winning away from home, our two wins so far have come at McHale park and we have to go to Omagh and Cork after this one.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

ildanach

i was thinking perhaps heaney would start along side harte in the middle?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

An Gaeilgoir

As much as i like heaney,im not sure if he is a mid-field player. Would there be any point playing Kilcullen in the middle, didnt he pay midfield for Ballagh,maybe stick Heaney in at full back? Or is it suggestions like this the reason i'm not Mayo manager! ;)

Tubberman

The injuries are mounting for Mayo, and Johnno is telling the players who get the chance this Sunday that they better make the most of it. Taken from The Mayo News:

Big guns fall hard

PREVIEW
MIKE FINNERTY

MAYO will be without three of their most experienced players for next weekend's National League game against Fermanagh in Clones due to injury and illness.
Ronan McGarrity will be out of action for at least the next few months after being diagnosed last week with testicular cancer. The 25 year old midfielder informed his team-mates last Saturday that he would be dropping out of the Mayo squad to receive treatment.
Also definitely missing next Sunday will be David Brady (calf) and Kevin O'Neill (hamstring) while both Enda Devenney and Aidan Campbell picked up injuries last weekend and are considered "doubtful".
"We have an availability crisis and we'll be tested to the limit by it," Mayo manager John O'Mahony admitted to The Mayo News.
"There's no hiding place now. When people are given an opportunity they have to perform. Next Sunday is going to provide an opportunity to players and the reality is that you cannot give people continuous game-time.
"Fermanagh have to pick up points somewhere and we don't want it to be against us. We only have three matches at home so it's vital that we win on our travels too."
The absence of so many central figures is likely to mean the return of the likes of David Heaney, Patrick Harte, Austin O'Malley and Conor Mortimer, all of whom were dropped for the win over Limerick ten days ago.
However, O'Mahony was adamant that Mayo would need to be firing on all cylinders if they were to win their third match of the ultra-competitive Division 1A. Their next outing is away to Cork on Saturday, March 24.
"It's been a trend in our games so far that our second half displays haven't been as fruitful as we would like. Against Limerick the last day we lost our shape, and that's possibly down to David Brady and Kevin O'Neill going off, but we need to up our performance for next Sunday. This is going to be a tough game."
However, it has not been the best of starts to the NFL for Charlie Mulgrew and Fermanagh with three defeats from three games against Tyrone, Limerick and Kerry.
The team have managed just 1-24 in that time and conceded 3-36 which, overall, doesn't paint a pretty picture with big games to come against Mayo, Dublin, Cork and Donegal.
Last time out against Kerry in Cavan, Fermanagh's defence was prone to silly fouling, and there was no real method in attack. They also struggled in the vital midfield sector and the absence of a target man up front has also been a problem.
Goalkeeper Christopher Breen is suspended for Sunday's match while the likes of Eamon Maguire and Ciaran O'Reilly remain the scorers-in-chief. All-Star Barry Owens, Tom Brewster and Marty McGrath will all be familiar to Mayo supporters.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

FermPundit

Sunday's match is pretty important. If we lose then division 3 next year is inevitable. We have shown no form this year at all although we have played Tyrone and Kerry which were always going to be tough games. The Limerick match was the only game we could have possibly won. Losing to the top teams in the country isn't too hard to take but watching the current level of performance from Fermanagh is very disappointing. They are a better side than they have shown so far this year.

Our main problem this year has been the inability to turn possession into scores. This is partly explained by our extremely small forward line and having a very small pool of players to pick from. Hopefully this Sunday the lads can raise their game and give Mayo a really tough match. If we are relegated then thats fine but only if we go down fighting and show that there is a bit of hope for this years ulster championship.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Mayo4Sam

Cant see JOM playing a big man full forward and pumping in the high balls a la kerry in the first match, Barry Owens is the best FB in the country and would eat either TM or AOM in an aerial battle, would like to see kilcoyne ,andy moran or a similiarly mobile player in FF.
Hope clucker is marking CM, soften him up a bit
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Redgreenery

With all the loss of players Mayo now have my mind is changing a bit from my earlier post (mainly the getting more scores part) we need to win this game now rather than concentrate on that.
Fermanagh are probably as JOM said going to pick up points eventually, but I honestly dont think it will be against Mayo.
I'd expect a tough and mabye tight game now but still a Mayo win.

FermPundit

Fermanagh v Mayo games are usually very good games. Hopefully the Mayo faithful travel in good numbers to Clones on Sunday. Clucker hasn't started a league game this year due to his soccer committments with Dungannon swifts. He is without doubt our best man marker and if he starts this weekend he'll probably pick up Ciaran McDonald which should be a pretty interesting battle.

ExiledGael

Is McDonald even playing with Mayo at the minute?

FermPundit

not sure. i'm probably wrong. i just assumed he was!!

Mayo4Sam

MacDanger isn't playing as far as i know & if he was i think clucker would be the wrong man on him, Hes an excellent tight man-marker, not always legally mind you, i saw him kick canavan round the pitch for the gaels a few years ago. but i think macdangers game wouldn't suit him
Hope to make it up sunday, is there many other yewmen heading up? I take it we go edgewardstown and cavan?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow Mayo anymore for the duration of the NFL, unless they make the knock-out stages.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.