Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 03:35:24 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 19, 2011, 03:12:28 PM
Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 02:48:05 PM
The flags flown in Dublin on match day  are the Irish Tri-Colour and the Ulster flag. There is representation of one political jurisdiction but not the other.That is a  difficulty.  Absurdly Donegal , Monaghan and Cavan get two bites!

I am aware of the IRFU flag which should be the only one flown but as I have  said these are matters which have not been any major  issue to any Unionist players/supporters of the Irish rugby team over the years simply because they refuse to let it interfere with a game they love to watch/play.

I can understand someone being put off by the attitudes of the GAA and the IRFU to flags. I can also understand someone deciding not to allow the attitudes of the GAA and the IRFU to flags to put them off following the sport. I can't, however, understand someone being put off by the attitude of the GAA to flags while deciding not to allow the attitude of the IRFU to flags to put them off following the sport. God forbid that people are happy to ignore one while not ignoring the other because of - gasp! - prejudice

As I see it the average aforementioned Unionist  rugby supporter visiting Dublin on match day has  given respect (yes respect) to the national  anthem of the host city (Dublin) , notwithstanding the fact that  they have no allegiance to the anthem.The thinking being -  the match is being played in the capital city of the  Republic so it is reasonable for them to play their anthem and fly their flag. This was shown up  in the game v Italy in Belfast. However  the IRFU were clumsy and insulting  in dealing with the issue .

However clumsy they have been  the IRFU would however not play the Republic's national anthem or insist on the flying of a Tri-Colour when playing a game in Belfast or anywhere in Northern Ireland.

So if the GAA flew no flag in the Six Counties, everything would be as ay-OK as it is with rugby?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 02:13:08 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 19, 2011, 01:49:11 PM
I have no real gripe with the NI football team, I like to see them win/be successful etc and would never support another team ahead of them, other than the ROI team.

That said, the two associations should merge back into one (probably under the banner of the IFA).

There are accusations of sectarianism by the FAI, however what annoys me is that the IFA in its current state continues to blissfully ignore the division that it's 'national' team creates. How on earth is anyone from a Nationalist background meant to feel any sense of belonging when the stadium is bedecked in Ulster banners and the Union Flag, with GSTQ as the anthem? Not to mention the potential for a few UVF songs?

The attiude seems to be, sure we've two lads who are subs at Celtic, and a handful more who are Catholic, none of whom get booed, we can't do anything more to attract Nationalists.

As Deiseach alluded to earlier and especially  now that the element of choice has been strenghtened/copper fastened  by the CAS ruling do you think that there really is any point in the IFA pushing the boat out any further ? Will they be spitting in the wind as any Natiionalist will always opt for the Republic? Indeed FIFA recognise NI as one of the 4 British Associations .As I see it the division (in football terms) has widened and hardened unfortunately.

Whilst not a precise comparator the Unionist rugby players have respectfully stood for anthems and before flags that they have had no affinity with  in Dublin for 60 years  or so simply to play the game at the highest level. They have had no choice and presumably they have done so because they want to play the game they love at the highest possible level. If I had been in any way  good enough I would have done likewise. I say that this is not precisely comparable as the Irish rugby team represents 2 political jurisdictions and the NI football team just 1.
Quite a defeatist 'what's the point' attitude, my opinion as someone who would wish the NI team well is that the IFA has failed to encourage Nationalists right from the start. The rubgy comparison is certainly not precise, Ireland Rugby is now among the best in the world whereas the NI football team are well down the rankings; I'd be pretty confident that if NI were regularly in the top ten FIFA rankings you might see a few more Nationalists wanting to play for them and willing to overlook the "colour" at Windsor Park.

Unfortunately I can't see this being any different in the near future; regardless of the atrocious structures within NI soccer, change seems to be a concept that is not looked upon favourably nor encouraged by the IFA.

MW

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
The point I am making is that all those flags, sectarian songs and British Anthems are disrespectful to Nationalist who play for NI. If you can't see that then something is wrong. No confusion with Italy NL as most Dutch fans fly orange and white flags from what I've seen. Compare the NI fans/Association to Ulster Rugby who have worked hard to promote the flying of flags that show support only for the team and not political identity.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the "flying of flags" by Ireland rugby fans also.

MW

The flags flown in Dublin on match day  are the Irish Tri-Colour and the Ulster flag. There is representation of one political jurisdiction but not the other.That is a  difficulty.  Absurdly Donegal , Monaghan and Cavan get two bites!

It's downright taking the piss in my opinion. Imagine if the British & Irish Lions were represented by the Union Flag and St Patrick's Flag.

Applesisapples

Quote from: MW on May 23, 2011, 12:39:06 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
The point I am making is that all those flags, sectarian songs and British Anthems are disrespectful to Nationalist who play for NI. If you can't see that then something is wrong. No confusion with Italy NL as most Dutch fans fly orange and white flags from what I've seen. Compare the NI fans/Association to Ulster Rugby who have worked hard to promote the flying of flags that show support only for the team and not political identity.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the "flying of flags" by Ireland rugby fans also.
The same, difference here is that the rugby union is taking a lead on the anthem and flag that is not happening in soccer. That said I would accept that the anthem and flag is reflective of majority of their fans. The issue I would take is with the complaints when young nationalist decide to play for the ROI team which they would have grown up supporting.

Applesisapples

Quote from: MW on May 23, 2011, 12:43:16 AM

It's downright taking the piss in my opinion. Imagine if the British & Irish Lions were represented by the Union Flag and St Patrick's Flag.
Not the same, the Ulster branch which the flag represents is a 9 county organisation. There is no official flag for the 6 counties. The St Patricks cross is a British flag which was invented to represent Ireland (all of it) in the union flag.

MW

It looks pretty similar - tricolour to represent the Republic of Ireland, and (unofficial too of course) province of Ulster flag to represent the 9 county Ulster province feels like little better than a calculated snub, as well as being totally illogical; it would this be pretty similar to have a flag representing the UK (i.e. GB & NI) and one for the island of Ireland. (Would it really be too much for the IRFU to use the Ulster Banner, which represents Northern Ireland in the sporting arena? It was there at the Aviva in February, and it will fly alongside the Tricolour at the Aviva tomorrow night - the sky won't fall in.)

thejuice

Looks like they got a few of our stock to "beef" up their numbers
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Applesisapples

Quote from: MW on May 23, 2011, 11:04:30 PM
It looks pretty similar - tricolour to represent the Republic of Ireland, and (unofficial too of course) province of Ulster flag to represent the 9 county Ulster province feels like little better than a calculated snub, as well as being totally illogical; it would this be pretty similar to have a flag representing the UK (i.e. GB & NI) and one for the island of Ireland. (Would it really be too much for the IRFU to use the Ulster Banner, which represents Northern Ireland in the sporting arena? It was there at the Aviva in February, and it will fly alongside the Tricolour at the Aviva tomorrow night - the sky won't fall in.)
The Ulster banner has no official status and in fact is seen by Nationalists in its many incarnantions as a symbol of oppression. Flying it as the flag of the NI soccer team is one of the reasons why nationalists are choosing to support and play for the ROI. I think in terms of flags the hockey union has it spot on with the flags of the four provinces.

Banana Man

i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

they talk about the great strides and fair enough there have been some changes but they don't go far enough, the basterdised ulster flag and GSTQ being played has to go for a start

how many B/Junior/underage internationals are held in solitude or Celtic Park - zero.

Brendan crossan wrote a good article on this in last weeks irish news, they could do worse than go and have a look at it

red hander

I was in tears by the time I reached the end of that letter, all that was missing was a lone violin player performing a turgid dirge of a lament ... pathetic  :D

Banana Man

Quote from: red hander on May 24, 2011, 04:52:24 PM
I was in tears by the time I reached the end of that letter, all that was missing was a lone violin player performing a turgid dirge of a lament ... pathetic  :D

ha ha yeah it was shockingly bad, it was like ''bigger boys took our ball away'' ha ha

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Banana Man on May 24, 2011, 01:12:49 PM
i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

they talk about the great strides and fair enough there have been some changes but they don't go far enough, the basterdised ulster flag and GSTQ being played has to go for a start

how many B/Junior/underage internationals are held in solitude or Celtic Park - zero.

Brendan crossan wrote a good article on this in last weeks irish news, they could do worse than go and have a look at it
There's irony there, if you know where to look.  ;)

Orior

Good to see a few Armagh men there supporting the winning team!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Banana Man on May 24, 2011, 04:58:35 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 24, 2011, 04:52:24 PM

ha ha yeah it was shockingly bad, it was like ''bigger boys took our ball away'' ha ha

They really took their ball away today ;D