Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dillinger on May 26, 2011, 10:06:16 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 26, 2011, 01:19:14 PM
They're two seperate countries.

Ireland is currently going through a temporary separation (which will probably end up being for a pretty insignificant period in the grand scheme of things). It also already has many sports teams representing the whole island.

I'm 52, i won't live to see it, and i would like to live to say, 90.
'cut dahn on yer pork pies mate'
;)

Hoof Hearted

christ, how many are at the aviva tonight ! Coagh United could have hosted it
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Applesisapples

I see Niall Maginn has had to backtrack on his Robbie Keane moment.

MW

Northern Ireland is a constituent country of the UK.

Glad to be of service :)

MW

Quote from: AQMP on May 26, 2011, 09:45:34 AM
Quote from: MW on May 25, 2011, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
For a crowd who claim they don't do politics and who want "soccer for all" -
why do they use the UK State anthem as their anthem (it is only the National anthem of 55% of the 6 Cos population) ? -

I think it's used because it's always been used - Scotland and Wales used to use it too. (It is after all "the national anthem" across the UK) I'd be more than happy to see it changed for NI matches, as would a significant section of the NI support. I've been arguing this case for many years now. I think the IFA wants to shy away from the difficult decision on this.

why did the few IFA fans who were in Lansdowne Road last night have two of the largest Union Jacks prominently displayed behind them.? If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?

"No Fenians wanted here"  is the message sent out loud and clear.

Well EG/MW ?
Exempting Nifan from this  ;)

Firstly, and sorry for taking this first but this is a bugbear of mine, "IFA fans" is a silly turn of phrase. They're not fans of the IFA, in fact they most likely are strong critics of the IFA. They're Northern Ireland fans.

Secondly, again, I'd prefer it if people didn't bring Union Flags. I think they do so not because they're making any sort of "no Fenians" statement but because for some reason which I don't really fathom they think they need to show their British identity. It's only a minority that does this. And hard to press down on, since it's actually the official flag of NI.

Thirdly, saying "If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?" is a bit disingenuous - it's international football. There will always be national flags, even if (as in Italy, the Netherlands, or Germany), they don't coincide with the colour of the team's kit. You're not really making an argument against national flags in general at international football, are you?

Fourthly, a question to you - what do you make of the sizeable number of Tricolours flown by a significant proportion of the crowd at Ireland rugby games?

Oh really ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWP5Z6GTgY&feature=BFa&list=PL7340235AF2B8CC33&index=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1ONnyiPqw

Can you read? ::)

MW

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2011, 09:15:35 AM
Rugby issue = "whataboutery".

Oh wise up. Pointing up the problems with the only mass-supported competitive all-Ireland team is not "whataboutery".

QuoteThe IRFU with their Ireland's call and Ulster flag make some effort to address the 2 political jurisdictions issue.

An extremely poor, chauvinistic and insulting effort.

( If a lot of people see the All Ireland symbol of the Tricolour ( 26 Cos State flag ,National flag of 45% of the 6 Cos population) as suitable for waving at rugby matches involving the All Ireland team that's their business. The UK State flag isn't a unique flag representing the 6Co area.)

Therein lies the problem, really, doesn't it? An all-Ireland team simply wouldn't work because "Tricolour nationalism" (to coin a clumsy phrase would inevitably be dragged into it, as rugby demonstrates.

QuoteThe IFA make no effort to address the fact of 45% non British population in their area.
While they can't be responsible for the flags their team's followers bring to games they should surely be inclusive by dropping the UK Anthem and just fly the IFA crest flag. It might lead to less "defections" to the FAI too  ;)

The anthem should change. BTW why are the Irish symbolism of the crest and team colours never noted in these type of discussions?

45 % of the populations of Italy,Holland,Germany are not seeking Union with adjoining States or look upon other flags as their National Flag. Their National flags irepresents the same area as their Soccer Association.

So as I said, you weren't actually making a general point with regard to national flags and team colours. The "problem" is that the Union Flag is the official flag of NI - but I'd prefer people didn't bring it to NI games.

Rossfan

Quote from: MW on May 28, 2011, 11:00:27 AM
Therein lies the problem, really, doesn't it? An all-Ireland team simply wouldn't work because "Tricolour nationalism" (to coin a clumsy phrase would inevitably be dragged into it, as rugby demonstrates.

the All Ireland rugby team seems to work quite well. ( Too bloody well seeing it's that abomination of a game  :D.) Perhaps it's the overtly one sided political nature of NI/6 Co soccerites that's the main problem.

By the way MW hope you weren't crushed in the crowd in Lansdowne Road last night  ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: MW on May 28, 2011, 10:51:34 AM
Northern Ireland is a constituent country of the UK.

Glad to be of service :)

Well to be honest Northern Ireland, England and Scotland are regions of the U.K. 

Wales doesn't actually exist its a devolved region of England and Cornwall has been reduced to county status.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 26, 2011, 01:19:14 PM
They're two seperate countries.

Ireland is currently going through a temporary separation (which will probably end up being for a pretty insignificant period in the grand scheme of things). It also already has many sports teams representing the whole island.

90 years with no end in sight is not really a temporary situation.

Scotland appears interested in implementing partition in Britian.  ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 26, 2011, 03:25:45 PM
Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 12:50:23 PM
This is not meant to be a dig by the way.  People talk about the island of Ireland automatically meaning that there can only be one country to represent everybody on that land mass.  By similar rationale, could it not be also argued that Spain and Portugal should automatically join together to represent the Iberian peninsula?
There is no territorial dispute there. But there are examples of Brazillian players declaring for Portugal. But the main point is that NI is not a country it is part of the Island of Ireland and a region of the UK as things currently stand. Not only that but 40%+ of the population have no allegience to it.

As a part of the UK and sharing the same land mass as the ROI, surely then NI is a separate country?

ROI are a soccer team, no such country.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: haranguerer on May 26, 2011, 05:08:06 PM
i suppose they could always have the titanic and george best...

Nah Liverpool are claiming the Titanic and Manchester Gerorgie Best. Perfidious Albion eh!

ziggysego

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 28, 2011, 05:22:40 PM

Nah Liverpool are claiming the Titanic and Manchester Gerorgie Best. Perfidious Albion eh!

Who's claiming Patrick Kielty?
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ziggysego on May 28, 2011, 05:54:55 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 28, 2011, 05:22:40 PM

Who's claiming Patrick Kielty?

Don't know but Sky News was claiming Ryanair a few days back.