Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

What I would like is:

One team, neutral flag, neutral anthem, FAI absorbed into the IFA. Matches to alternate between Belfast and Dublin. I'd imagine the people most opposed to this are the undesirable element we want rid of anyway, win win. Out of curiousity, would there be any support for one team among OWC supporters?

michaelg

"its pretty difficult to seperate an average NI fan from a bigot".

A bit of a sweeping generalisation me thinks.  Difficult to get rid of all the assholes but the appropriate steps have been and continue to be taken.

The point could also be made that the ROI support was hardly beyond criticism last night.  The booing of the anthem and Steve Davis and Robert Garrett who play for Rangers and Linfield respectively, springs to mind - Wonder why they got singled out for special attention?  In addition, there was a fair few in the ROI support wearing Celtic tops.  Don't give a shit about this myself, but had the fans in the NI end been wearing Rangers tops you would never have heard the end of it.

As for the boycott which another poster made reference to, he is correct in saying that the boycott did initially relate to the travel arrangements.  Shortly after those plans were made public, however, another defection (Devine of Preston) was announced.  Given that young Ferguson also seems likely to make the switch, the boycott increasingly became related to the divisive and frankly sectarian player poaching issue.  Before the choruses of complaints to this last statement come flooding in, does anyone genuinely think that no unofficial approaches to any of these young players have ever been made? 

As for the calls for one team, alternate matches in Belfast / Dublin etc, I am afraid that the actions of the FAI mean that this is never likely to receive any real support.  In any case, do you think that an organisation which churlishly flew the wrong flag during last night's match has any interest in respecting and reaching out to all traditions on the island?

red hander

Wrong flag? Sure the Are We A Country crowd can't decide themselves between that completely unofficial rag, the orange order banner or the butcher's apron, so how do you expect some wee fella at the Aviva to cope?

michaelg

Wrong flag? Sure the Are We A Country crowd can't decide themselves between that completely unofficial rag, the orange order banner or the butcher's apron, so how do you expect some wee fella at the Aviva to cope?

Do you honestly believe it was a genuine mistake or is this you trying to be funny?

laoislad

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 25, 2011, 05:19:14 PM
What I would like is:

One team, neutral flag, neutral anthem, FAI absorbed into the IFA. Matches to alternate between Belfast and Dublin. I'd imagine the people most opposed to this are the undesirable element we want rid of anyway, win win. Out of curiousity, would there be any support for one team among OWC supporters?

We have a state of the art modern stadium in Dublin,why would we want to go to a cow shed in Belfast to play games?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

MW

Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
For a crowd who claim they don't do politics and who want "soccer for all" -
why do they use the UK State anthem as their anthem (it is only the National anthem of 55% of the 6 Cos population) ? -

I think it's used because it's always been used - Scotland and Wales used to use it too. (It is after all "the national anthem" across the UK) I'd be more than happy to see it changed for NI matches, as would a significant section of the NI support. I've been arguing this case for many years now. I think the IFA wants to shy away from the difficult decision on this.

why did the few IFA fans who were in Lansdowne Road last night have two of the largest Union Jacks prominently displayed behind them.? If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?

"No Fenians wanted here"  is the message sent out loud and clear.

Well EG/MW ?
Exempting Nifan from this  ;)

Firstly, and sorry for taking this first but this is a bugbear of mine, "IFA fans" is a silly turn of phrase. They're not fans of the IFA, in fact they most likely are strong critics of the IFA. They're Northern Ireland fans.

Secondly, again, I'd prefer it if people didn't bring Union Flags. I think they do so not because they're making any sort of "no Fenians" statement but because for some reason which I don't really fathom they think they need to show their British identity. It's only a minority that does this. And hard to press down on, since it's actually the official flag of NI.

Thirdly, saying "If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?" is a bit disingenuous - it's international football. There will always be national flags, even if (as in Italy, the Netherlands, or Germany), they don't coincide with the colour of the team's kit. You're not really making an argument against national flags in general at international football, are you?

Fourthly, a question to you - what do you make of the sizeable number of Tricolours flown by a significant proportion of the crowd at Ireland rugby games?

MW

What I would like is:

It would be almost nil.

naka

Quote from: michaelg on May 25, 2011, 08:24:04 PM

Do you honestly believe it was a genuine mistake or is this you trying to be funny?
didnt watch the games --which ni flag was flown

MW

Quote from: red hander on May 25, 2011, 04:54:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
For a crowd who claim they don't do politics and who want "soccer for all" -
why do they use the UK State anthem as their anthem (it is only the National anthem of 55% of the 6 Cos population) ? -
why did the few IFA fans who were in Lansdowne Road last night have two of the largest Union Jacks prominently displayed behind them.? If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?

"No Fenians wanted here"  is the message sent out loud and clear.

Well EG/MW ?
Exempting Nifan from this  ;)

There was also an Orange Order flag clearly being waved by their 'fans', and outside the ground after the game they were singing the Sash... and this was supposed to be an IFA-vetted and controlled operation.  A lot of them were interviewed before pulling out of Belfast and they were all whining about how they'd been tarred with the same brush as those scum who were caught on camera singing the Billy Boys at the Scotland match ... and that big pohill McAllister writes a pathetic letter to the Irish News claiming the support is non-sectarian  ::)

Of course you're going to be even-handed and comment on a minority among the ROI support that variously...

- booed God Save the Queen
- booed Steve Davis
- sang Fields of Athenry with the 'Sinn Fein' and 'IRA' add-ins

Or indeed the one chap who brought along a Vatican City flag. (all attested to by some rather pissed off fans on the ROI supporter boards)

I looks forward to reading your comments. Because I'm sure you aren't just a hypocrite gagging to have a go at themmuns, hmm?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2011, 08:43:33 PM
What I would like is:

We have a state of the art modern stadium in Dublin,why would we want to go to a cow shed in Belfast to play games?
Toilet bowl with no atmosphere? You do know what alternate means?

Quote from: MW on May 25, 2011, 09:11:48 PM
What I would like is:

It would be almost nil.
Although a pipe dream it's still a pity that there is such little support for it. If implemented properly it could work wonders; rugby being a good example.

michaelg

Yellow Ulster nine county fleg

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on May 25, 2011, 08:24:04 PM

Take a wild guess

naka

Quote from: michaelg on May 25, 2011, 09:30:23 PM

Yellow Ulster nine county fleg
poor play by fai
thought they would be bigger than 

MW

After some complaint, they did miraculously produce the NI flag and switch it for the 9-county Ulster flag inside and outside the ground in time for kick off.

'Cute hoors', is that the expression?

MW

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 25, 2011, 09:24:25 PM
Although a pipe dream it's still a pity that there is such little support for it. If implemented properly it could work wonders; rugby being a good example.

It wouldn't work wonders for me, given that I see Northern Ireland as my country, and my primary identity as Northern Irish.

I don't think rugby is a particularly good example - as has been demonstrated by southern nationalist chauvinism in the IRFU over flags and anthems.