i never knew they were irish..

Started by lawnseed, April 13, 2011, 11:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Captian Thomas Blood - Religious fanatic and the man who stole England's Crown Jewels. Meath fecker.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Bridget Dowling & her son William Patrick Hitler.

Sister in law of Adolf Hitler and Nephew of Adolf Hitler.

Bridget helped in the British War effort.

W.P. Hitler fought for the Americans in World War 2.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 14, 2011, 01:26:40 PM
Isn't Kevin Rowland (Dexys Midnight Runners) from Crossmolina?

He has family in Newry. Think one of his parent may be from the town.

Ernesto Che Guevara Lynch to give him his full title. His father was from Galway.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 14, 2011, 06:26:44 PM
Patrice MacMahon de Mac-Mahon

1. Marshal of France leading the French Empire to fight the Prussian Empire in the Franco-Prussian War.

2. President of the French Republic.

The French would be fussy about little things like that  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fear Boirche on April 14, 2011, 06:55:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 14, 2011, 06:37:28 PM
The Duke of Wellington Arthur Wellesley

Field Marshal of the British Empire, Commander of British forces and her allies at the Battle of Waterloo

But, as Daniel O'Connell is reported to have said: "No, he is not an Irishman. He was born in Ireland; but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse."
I thought wellington said that himself.
Quote from: Agent Orange on April 14, 2011, 07:45:37 PM

Ernesto Che Guevara Lynch to give him his full title. His father was from Galway.
I think the relationship was more distant than that, but I always thought the it was on the mother's side and that she had Clare roots.  Must have a google on it.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 14, 2011, 09:12:42 PM

Field Marshal of the British Empire, Commander of British forces and her allies at the Battle of Waterloo

But, as Daniel O'Connell is reported to have said: "No, he is not an Irishman. He was born in Ireland; but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse."

I think the relationship was more distant than that, but I always thought the it was on the mother's side and that she had Clare roots.  Must have a google on it.

1. Wellington NEVER said it, it was indeed O'Connell.

2. His Grandmother was from Galway. She was his Irish connection.

Hurler on the Bitch

Ian Paisley, Iris Robinson and Wee Willie Frazer.  :P

Bogball XV

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 14, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

You may be right about the Wellington thing, but it seems that the Lynch connection is a bit more remote, after much searching this seems to be the most authorative writing i've found on the subject.

QuoteGuevara, Ernesto [Che] (1928-1967), physician and revolutionary, was born on 14 June 1928 in the city of Rosario, Argentina, the eldest son of Ernesto Guevara Lynch (1900-1987) and Celia de la Serna (1906-1967). Ernesto Guevara Lynch's mother was Ana Lynch (1861-1947), born in San Francisco, California, where her father Francisco de Paula E. Lynch (1817-1886) was the consul of Buenos Aires. The Lynchs were an influential family with branches in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay. Among their members were soldiers, politicians and intellectuals, like the Chilean rear admiral Patricio Lynch Zaldívar (1824-1886), and the Argentine distinguished writers Benito Lynch (1882-1951) and Adolfo Bioy Casares (1914-1999).
and then later on
QuoteIn Ireland and other places of the Irish Diaspora, Ernesto Guevara's life and thinking is sometimes linked with his Irish ancestry. However, Guevara's family and cultural connections with Ireland were far and remote. Two centuries and six generations of an ethnically mixed family separated Guevara from his ancestor Patrick Lynch, born in 1715 in Lydican Castle, Co. Galway, and member of a merchant family prominent in Jamaica and elsewhere in the West Indies. Patrick Lynch left Ireland in the 1740s and after traveling throughout the Americas settled in Buenos Aires in 1749 and established a successful merchant business. There is no evidence that Ernesto Guevara identified with Irish culture, though his father observed that Ernesto was descended from "Irish rebels" (interview by I. Lavretsky, 1969). However, Guevara was conscious of his roots, in particular the mixed cultures of his family. In an early diary with notes about his 1950 trip to the Argentine northern provinces, he recorded that 'the well-shaked mix of Irish and Galician [blood] flowing through my veins' had an influence in his determination to cross a desert in Santiago del Estero (Guevara Lynch 1988: 331). Nevertheless, Ernesto was proud of his Argentine origin and his Cuban nationality, and regarded himself as Latin American. One other possible source of misinformation was an interview on 13 March 1965 by the journalist Arthur Quinlan. Guevara was on his way back to Havana from Prague, and the Cuban Airlines aircraft developed mechanical trouble and landed at Shannon airport. According to Quinlan, Guevara spoke in English and talked of his Irish connections through the name Lynch. He went with friends to Limerick and stayed in the Hanratty's Hotel on Glentworth Street. Most likely, this was the closest connection that Che Guevara had with Ireland.

http://www.irlandeses.org/dilab_guevarae.htm

Doogie Browser

Tim Pat Coogan's 'Wherever Green is Worn' is a must read on this subject, a comprehensive study of the Irish abroad. Just got it at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Olly

I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that Elvis Pressley was reputedly born in Longford or Bundoran or some 8-letter town in Ireland. It was in a book written by Dr Phil McGraw.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 14, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

Good catch on Wellington and O'Connell, you learn a new thing every day. However, the Guevara link is pretty shaky. If this link is correct it was his great-grandfather who was Irish

Agent Orange

There were Rowlands in Newry, maybe they were claiming him as their own.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Olly on April 14, 2011, 10:42:52 PM
I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that Elvis Pressley was reputedly born in Longford or Bundoran or some 8-letter town in Ireland. It was in a book written by Dr Phil McGraw.

I heard that too. Thought it was Portrush though, or Rosslare.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Lar Naparka

Maureen O'Sullivan, who played opposite Johnny Weissmuller in a string of Tarzan movies and Maureen O'Hara of "The Quiet Man" fame.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility