i never knew they were irish..

Started by lawnseed, April 13, 2011, 11:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Ulick

The parish is Colmcillle - the signposts will say Aughnacliffe which is the trading post!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 15, 2011, 02:26:51 PM
Ulick

The parish is Colmcillle - the signposts will say Aughnacliffe which is the trading post!

Yep, good pint of stout to be had in Murtagh's or Hourican's (once named in the Top-100 pubs in Ireland).  Look for the varnished (formerly tinned) peaches stuck to the wall - there's a great story behind it. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on April 14, 2011, 01:02:25 PM
I don't like to admit this, but the Gallaghers are distant relatives of mine by marriage. Their aunt from Duleek was married to my first cousin. I think that's distant enough to be able to disclaim any negative associations, musical, sociological, yobical ...

Hey dude don't look back in anger..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Any read Outliers?

There is a chapter on the feuds of Kentucky in the 1800s. In Outliers it is suggested that these feuds were between emigrants (or their descendants) of the 'Borderlands' of Britain. In particular where the lowlands of Scotland meets England and Ulster. The feuds weren't necessarily anything to do with disputes from the origin of the settlers, it was more to do with their isolation and culture. Historians now classify these feuding mountaineers as Scotch-Irish.

The Kentucky Feuds

"Most of these settlers shared a common Scotch-Irish background"
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

There is a rumour that Evil Genius is actually Irish...despite his protestations.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 14, 2011, 05:00:47 PM
Olivia Wilde has Irish citzenship aka 13 from House

Was doing abit of reading up on her (as you do) She derived her stage name "Wilde" from Irish author Oscar Wilde & her original name was Cockburn.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 20, 2011, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 14, 2011, 05:00:47 PM
Olivia Wilde has Irish citzenship aka 13 from House

Was doing abit of reading up on her (as you do) She derived her stage name "Wilde" from Irish author Oscar Wilde & her original name was Cockburn.

She makes this phrase seem quite plesant when it shouldn't sound that way.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.